Solo Rex Restore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheif_87

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all hoping for some help, trying to get my Rex apart ready for restoration work, I can't get any further than what you can see in the photos, if you could help me to work out how to get the cylinder, carburettor, flywheel and clutch out and also do I need to split the crankcase to get the petrol tank out? thank you for your help

Regards Sean
IMG_20200309_164301.jpgIMG_20200309_164316.jpgIMG_20200309_164333.jpg

The Rex/125 is the saw that made me buy little ignition wrenches, one end open end straight, the other end open end right angle. I seem to recall still having to use a punch to spin one of the cylinder nuts off. The flywheel comes off with the same puller Stihl uses to thread into the center. The clutch shows it's splined but I'm not seeing that in your picture. Do you have Rex or 125? Yes, the fuel tank can be removed without splitting the case. Don't bend that bottom shield too much. Impossible to find if it is ruined. Seals and bearings are a standard size.

Thank you so much for the info, yes I got the cylinder off with a centre punch also on the back right nut, the cluch I have also gotten off now it was threaded used a pin punch in the 4 holes, this one is a Rex not a 125, I will see if I can find a stihl puller thank you for that information, also I am pretty new to this its my first restore project you said seals and bearings are standed size where do i get these from? After you said it i figured it would be a good idea to replace them seen a i have the whole saw apart,

Regards Sean

I got my bearings and seals at a local shop. Pretty sure they all had numbers on them, easy to ID. If the crank rolls smooth, quiet, and no play, I'd leave it alone.

I redid a 125. The bearings are 6303c3 and the seals are 17mmx35mmx7mm. No guarantee this is what your Rex has.

Im going through the process of trying to get one to run now, then will look to strip it down and restore. have you had yours running before pulling apart. I,m not getting good enough spark, will pull the fly wheel off and try to clean points etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.JPG
    IMG_3019.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3021.JPG
    IMG_3021.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3020.JPG
    IMG_3020.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
Im going through the process of trying to get one to run now, then will look to strip it down and restore. have you had yours running before pulling apart. I,m not getting good enough spark, will pull the fly wheel off and try to clean points etc.
Yes mine was fully running then I decided to strip it down for restoration, was going to suggest cleaning up the points and obviously the real obvious, new spark plug let us know how you go

Regards Sean

Yes mine was fully running then I decided to strip it down for restoration, was going to suggest cleaning up the points and obviously the real obvious, new spark plug let us know how you go

Regards Sean
lucky for you, mine wasn't. have replaced plug, will pull the cover off again and try to clean points, my petrol tank has some cracks in it also. have you managed to find parts, or is it a case of looking to find second hand parts.
with plug pulled and earthed to motor, plug isn't showing spark. but put a screw driver in there and pull it over and there is a slight pulse.

Im not sure how long it has been since it was running either. do you happen to have a manual or anything for yours.

U can find some parts all second hand tho, you are best to find a cheap enough part saw and take what you need from it, that is what I have done to make mine complete and running, depending on how bad ur tank leaks you might be able to seal it up with some JB Weld products, yes I do have a manual i managed to buy one last month

Regards Sean

So I have the saw completely apart all parts are sandblasted and cleaned i have started painting everything, noticed my carburettor model number was HL154A which lead me to measure my bore it is 58mm turns out this little beast is a Solo Super Rex 142cc I am so happy to have this as part of my collection what a luck find I just thought it was a Rex this whole time lol

So I have the saw completely apart all parts are sandblasted and cleaned i have started painting everything, noticed my carburettor model number was HL154A which lead me to measure my bore it is 58mm turns out this little beast is a Solo Super Rex 142cc I am so happy to have this as part of my collection what a luck find I just thought it was a Rex this whole time lol
I experienced a similar reaction on discovering a newly acquired Solo Twin was 110cc. Sometimes you get lucky. Hardly ever with chainsaws, just sometimes.

Hey! Im in the works of trying to get my Solo rex 125 up and running before I give it an overhaul. A few questions; how do I get the bottom skid plate off? It seems wedged by the gas tank.
I removed the flywheel fan to inspect the timing. Im trying to reinstall it, but it keeps getting stuck and wont spin once I rattle it on. The cover cant be installed in this case. Am I missing something or doing it wrong?
Keep in touch folks!

Hey! Im in the works of trying to get my Solo rex 125 up and running before I give it an overhaul. A few questions; how do I get the bottom skid plate off? It seems wedged by the gas tank.
I removed the flywheel fan to inspect the timing. Im trying to reinstall it, but it keeps getting stuck and wont spin once I rattle it on. The cover cant be installed in this case. Am I missing something or doing it wrong?
Keep in touch folks!
The fan will only go on one way. The 4 tits on the back side have to fit down into the cutouts on the magneto rotor. From experience I can tell that you’ve tightened the retaining nut down and not had everything in place correctly. You have broken the fan (at least bent it) and now it will not lie flat enough to allow you to install the cover. It rubs the inside of the cover. You will need another fan. Sorry.

The fan will only go on one way. The 4 tits on the back side have to fit down into the cutouts on the magneto rotor. From experience I can tell that you’ve tightened the retaining nut down and not had everything in place correctly. You have broken the fan (at least bent it) and now it will not lie flat enough to allow you to install the cover. It rubs the inside of the cover. You will need another fan. Sorry.

So I figured it out. I did notice the 4 tits on the back sides as well as the bottom tit need to line up perfectly. When I removed the flywheel fan there were 2 thin washers that fell out of the backside of the fan from what I remember. I tried installing the fan with the washers on the front instead and it now spins much nicer and can easily get the cover back on.! Luckily the fan does not appear bent.
I was able to do a compression test and get 90psi out of it. I gave it a shot of sensor cleaner in the cylinder (I did not have starter fluid) I still have yet to get it to started before my last bit of makeshift pullcord broke. I think I should Probably get a new spark plug as well since the spart was there, but weak on some spark test pulls.
Gas,Spark,Compression.....‍♂️
Any other tips...!?

I’d bet that that fan is bent. The washers go on the back side with the “cone” facing in. There should also be a felt pad stuck to the back of the fan as well. There should only be one lock washer under the nut on the flywheel. It doesn’t take much as the fan is thin as a potato chip. The danger is that it will disintegrate at speed and bust up a bunch more stuff. That is the order of assembly, you should proceed with caution at this point. Good luck.
Don’t squirt anything but fuel mix in that saw or you will damage it.

Hey
Im trying to remove the clutch on my Rex. Is the clutch a reverse thread, or normal thread? Im going to try the pin/hammer method on the 4 holes once I know the proper direction to losen it up. Anyone have another suggested method to removing the clutch besides the pin/hammer method?

Latest posts

Back