Solo Tree care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinwoodman-I hope your post was a joke. If not-Forget the spurs and forget climbing-If you need to set lines (chains suck by the way) for pulling over trees get 2 throw bags and some throwline if $30 is all you can spend, and use them to set a rope(you could dink around with chains but dragging them up into the tree would suck big hairy moose lips). If you can swing $150, buy a BigShot (click on the Sherrill banner and search their site) to go with your throwline and throwballs. You will save lots of time and be much safer.

And it's more fun than work. I mean, silently firing a projectile upward, accurately is just a plain kick in the pants. It's a special privledge, a fringe benefit of the job.

Guys, I have mocked spurless climbing here before, but I worked with an I.S.A. climber who used his throwbag to get ropes in trees that we pulled over. Sure beat climbing up them. I have climbed lots of trees and tied a big bullrope in them to be pulled over with a truck, hoe or turfor. I climbed a cottonwood with a 1/2 steel cable to pull it over with a hoe, p.i.t.a.. Glad I had my belt and steelcore. Not primevil to freeclimb, I only do it when I have my spurs on, I know its wrong.

Tinwood, I can appreciate your flat-out gumptcheon(?) Your raw talent comes through, and I'd love to see ya develop your expertise with some pro gear. There's a safe 'way of being' that'll amp your confidence and allow you to do things you just can't possibly do right now.

Your success as an arborist hinges on WORK POSITIONING. That's the bottom line, no other possible way around that. You get in position, you fire up your saw, you do the treeguy thing.

Not being able to position precisely and in a complete, safe, bombproof manner limits your universe, at least in this profession.

You've never used a rope? Dude, you're missing out on so much fun!

========

Clearance, I understand about the use of spurs because they've been a mainstay in my diet for 12 years. On takedowns, I almost always use spikes. I would expect anyone to. You're an exceptional climber. You're up in British columbia and you have some HUGE humongo trees. Your conifers grow thick bark on their trunks and stems. Spikes are 100% OK on takedowns. It's on pruning jobs, Tree care, that there's the non-spike issue.

Do either of you climb solo?

And Stumper and Meulleur, Thank you guys for the kind enlightenment on the polesaw, and Guy, for the telescoping pole tip. I am getting one, I am getting one, I am convinced. The professionals have spoken. I bow in respect and will shell out the cash. Thank you. Uhhhh,.... I mean...... I'll tell Solo Cat what you said and I'm sure he'll heed the wisdom. :p

Treemachine-thank you but I am not an exceptional climber, just average and trying my best. I know and have been taught by a few exceptional climbers who feel that they are not exceptional because they talk about men who taught them as "THE man" when it comes to treework. I mean crazy sh%t like throwing big tops over a three phase powerline when the slightest errror would have been fatal. Balls bigger than an elephant, worthy of our admiration. In the utility world there is a fine line between balls and death.

Tree Machine said:
... telescoping pole tip. I am getting one, I am getting one, I am convinced.
Jameson's is good; very flexible but strong enough for most work. Florian makes a set that is the cat's meow; one stout, one light. Their ratcheting polepruner does an awesome job too; the bigone isheavy but does wonders on the ground. perfect collar cuts made with gumption. The smaller one is great for in the tree for clean reduction cuts.

Stumper the BS is more like $80., right? Or are you talking about with two poles?

Free climbing generally means with no spurs either, much less fun than using ropes.

treeseer said:
Free climbing generally means with no spurs either, much less fun than using ropes.
I free climb things like crabapples, light duty fine pruning stuff in plums, dogwoods and maybe magnolias, but generally, to me freeclimbing involves at least having a saddle, and the flipline ready to assist and facilitate the climb. At that point, it's hardly worth not clipping a short rope on, whether or not you use it is your choice.

Bigger trees, man, ya gotta hate going up and being limited as to what you can do, where you can go, and how precisely and swiftly you can drop into position for cuts. Missing a rappel, even if it's a short one, and having to climb DOWN the tree, that's just working without having the fun-meter pegged fully to the right.

I still remember my early days, doing things with what minimum I had. It was slower, less safe, very limiting, and way less fun.

Joy can only be fully attained by achieving a state of fully unrestricted expression of your talent, and the confidence of not having to question your own personal safety. Becoming one with friction and gravity, that's where it all crystallizes. That's what we, as technical climbers, nourish ourselves with.

Anybody spending $20 on the water balloon sling shot in the Northern tools catalog? If it will hurl a water balloon 100yards, I imagine it will handle a shot bag and some line...

Posted by one cheap a$$ solo climber

Back