Solo Tree care

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tm, you are a funny guy! the other day,out working some where, i was kinda wondering who solo cat might be. dude, you are funny guy. great thread btw. and you should know the difference between keannu reeves and john travolta. also there is a differenece between stylized violence and glorified violence. dintcha see kill bill either?

Uhh, I'll tell Solo Cat that Jason J Ladue thinks TM is funny

jason j ladue said:
tm, you are a funny guy! i was kinda wondering who solo cat might be. dude, you are funny guy.
(Shhhhhh! You're gonna blow my cover.)

Uhhh, I called Solo Cat and checked. Pulp Fiction is one of those movies that has managed to evade him. He said he'll pick it up on your recommendation.

SC asks JJL, besides stylized violence and glorified violence, are there there other flavors of violence here in America. Commercial violence? Recreational violence? Personal violence, mass violence. Every shade of violence here in America. A veritable all-you-can-eat buffet of violence. A level of violence for every mood.

I watched Kill Bill but fell asleep 3/4 of the way through. Does that count as having seen it?
Hammer said:
Lock Stock & 2 smokin Barrels of Snatch
Is that like Sleepless in Seattle?

how bout resevoir dogs. hey tm, i am a peaceful guy, some have gone so far as to accuse me of being a hippy. they are no longer living -of course, but that is a whole nother topic. dont deny the nature of our existence. it is violent. i'm not talking about americans, or even humans. think about the very formation of our universe -the big bang (sorry in advance to all the god freaks in the room). plate tectonics, the elements responsible for the formation of our continents and geography. the world is a violent place. one specie displacing another (or, in the case of homsapiens, it's self). so dont let a little gunfire, or depiction of gang warfare bother ya too much. it is just a movie after all... :p

cool. i was watching a thing on pbs today about the hurricane season on the keys of fla.
ya know, dont get me wrong. i dont like the ugly violence that takes place between and by the hands of people everyday; but i think the violence which is portrayed in movies and television is as much a reflection of society as the other way around. and i certainly dont mean to try and change anyones mind or start any kind of debate on the topic. i'm glad my imput wasn't taken that way. peace y'all...

I see this thread is very old, but let's try to get more of it. As of today I not only work alone up the tree, but learn it without an instructor. I think everyday about risks of this approach. I make mistakes and learn from them. Knock on wood they did not cause severe consequences so far. Let's leave the productivity or convenience of this approach and focus on life and healh safety.
I assume most small jobs don't have another climber on side able to perform aerial rescue.
My thoughts so far are:
If you fall 40 feet, your ground buddy is almost certainly good only for calling the coroner.
However, if you fall or hurt yourself and are still alive you have two possibilities.
One is when you still can use your cellphone and call for help by yourself.
Second, you are so hurt that you are either unconscious or hurt so much that you are not able to do anything (cut your hand with a chainsaw for example).
That is the only chance I am taking in my believe. How slim of fat these chances are?
I know you should have someone on the ground, but shouldn't you also obey speed limits, even if caps don't watch? We take chances in life here and there, so let's not be judgmental.

What other safety factors you can point?
I read plenty of climbing fatal accident reports to learn what can go wrong, and most of them involve experienced climbers (with always someone on the ground).

But that's another trick to being a good tree dood. Don't get pissed off easily...

Oh and here I thought I would make a real good tree dood cause I'm always pissed off.

But I think the days of getting up in a 125 foot tulip to hammer out a couple limbs over the house all by myself are gone but I would still prune a kwanzan.

If you're silly enough to climb and work solo, you should feel lucky to chew through limbs with your teeth.

Why.... do you know how many disadvantages there are to climbing alone? You would miss out on privledges such as workman's comp insurance, payroll taxes, employee wages and such. If equipment goes down, or gets lost, there is no one to blame but yourself.

If you have no employees, OSHA has no reason to come pay you a social visit. How are you going to move the economy if you have no employees? If you don't have an employee, who the heck is going to feed the brush into the chipper? n Who's going to put fuel and oil in your chainsaws? Who's going to sharpen your chains?

I'm telling you, I really don't think solo work is possible in the Tree Care Industry. You would have to, like, do everything yourself. How the heck are you going to sharpen your leadership skill if you have no one to lead? Sheesh! And on top of that, the paycheck at the end of the day would be ALL YOURS!. How are you going to spread the wealth? Solo tree care is for the guy who wants to work alone- that's my viewpoint, and I'm stickin to it.

What happened to the Tree Machine anyway?

My extent of working alone is cutting up wood while Joe empties the chip truck ... Other then that I hang with a buddy . I've already cut my arm so bad with a pole saw that I passed out in the heat , my thoughts is that was my pass if I was alone I woulda been in a box ... A big box but a box none the less

That sure was a horrible wound he suffered!

Attachments

• TM Injury 2.jpg
    TM Injury 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 36
  • TM calf 3.jpg
    TM calf 3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 34
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 30
How heavy is a that chainsaw in your profile picture? I am planning to buy a budget 20" chainsaw which is 22lb heavy. For now even 10" Echo feels heavy on me in a tree, so I don't know how realistic it is to work with such weight.

Latest posts

Back