some advice before I go to my local dealer in the morning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw was at WOT maybe 3 minutes then it stalled. Re-started and ran it another 15 seconds to finish the cut.

Saw was at WOT maybe 3 minutes then it stalled. Re-started and ran it another 15 seconds to finish the cut.

3 minutes doesn't sound that long until you look at your watch and count the seconds. Most cuts are less than a minute, maybe or longer at times for the big wood saws sawing big wood. Those big saws aren't turning the R's that 5100 turns.

Rule of thumb has always been when making long long sustained cuts slow the saw rpms down before making the cut to aviod overheating the saw.

If I were you I wouldn't sweat it. Take the saw to the shop and have it checked out. It may be something simple, it may be a toasted engine, its under warranty, keep your story to yourself. Just take it in and say it will not start. Let the dealer do his magic and go from there. May wind up not costing you a penny...

If I were you I wouldn't sweat it. Take the saw to the shop and have it checked out. It may be something simple, it may be a toasted engine, its under warranty, keep your story to yourself. Just take it in and say it will not start. Let the dealer do his magic and go from there. May wind up not costing you a penny...

Best advice yet...:clap:

if i were you i wouldn't sweat it. Take the saw to the shop and have it checked out. It may be something simple, it may be a toasted engine, its under warranty, keep your story to yourself. Just take it in and say it will not start. Let the dealer do his magic and go from there. May wind up not costing you a penny...

+1

3 minutes doesn't sound that long until you look at your watch and count the seconds. Most cuts are less than a minute, maybe or longer at times for the big wood saws sawing big wood. Those big saws aren't turning the R's that 5100 turns.

Rule of thumb has always been when making long long sustained cuts slow the saw rpms down before making the cut to aviod overheating the saw.

As long as he hasn't straight gassed it he should be fine. Were speculating, he didn't pull the muffler so were throwing knifes in the dark...

Tommy can I have the keys to your pickup.......Im going to put it in first gear and hold it to the boards .......How far will it go before it acts up???

If its a Ford, until your foot gets tired.
Anything else not to long!

Ok, 50cc @ 14K. Shouldn't wot keep it cool under load? It just seems that the saw should have been able to handle that kind of rpm. There has to be many of these saws used in some type of industrial applications that are working even harder. Anyway, like Matt said, we are speculating & possibilities are endless. I am curious as to the outcome........

RD

Ok, 50cc @ 14K. Shouldn't wot keep it cool under load? It just seems that the saw should have been able to handle that kind of rpm. There has to be many of these saws used in some type of industrial applications that are working even harder. Anyway, like Matt said, we are speculating & possibilities are endless. I am curious as to the outcome........

RD

Idc if its a "bead bath and beyond" chainsaw it would not get destroyed from that cut. Unless there is another issue causing the problem.
One 3 minute cut should be a walk in the park, if used my saws in stumps for hours WOT and never had a problem. (tuned properly)

Again if it was really lean, turning to may rps, or air leak its possible...as may have stated.

3 minutes is a long time at WOT, even when I'm milling I will stop mid way and let the saw idle for a little bit and then go again, I get kinda nervous going for 2 minutes striaght, after I finish I let the saw idle and get back to a normal temp before turning it off. I tune it a bit rich also with a 32:1 mix. It will be interesting to say the least. Hope for the best for ya:cheers:

Sorry guys if this is a dumb question but I just wanted some advice before I go to my local dealer in the morning.
Bought a Dolmar 5100 last fall so it’s still under warranty. Saw is a pleasure to use plenty of power for my needs starts up easy etc. no complaints until this morning.

As discussed in my previous post http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=109816 my cut / split firewood was to long for my new woodstove.
So I tried a method of trimming it to size by stacking the splits ends up along the side of my trailer.
SickSaw
Then I strapped them down tight and started up my saw. Once warmed up I turned the saw on its side and used the top edge of my trailer as a guide and as I walked along the trailer (18 feet) trimmed of the excess of the tops.
This worked pretty good until I got about ¾’s of the way done the saw seemed to begin to loose power and started to bog down until it just died. When I went to re-start it, it ran like crap and now will not idle on its own. Did all the basic things like checked the air-filter cleaned the plug but with no help.
Did I hose this saw up by running on its side for extended period of time?
Sorry, I warned you all this might have been a dumb question.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a roasted piston.

How old was/is the fuel??? Be honest.......

Pull the muffler..

Crosscutting is slower and harder than milling......

Sounds like a roasted piston.

How old was/is the fuel??? Be honest.......

Pull the muffler..

Crosscutting is slower and harder than milling......

Aww common Fish it's only 2 years old and i "think" i remember mixing it?

Let the dealer screw with it if you don't know what your doing.

Can you clarify? You mean slow it down by richening the high speed jet, right? You're not talking about using less throttle, are you? I've been told several different times that modern chainsaw carburetors are not designed to be run at less than full throttle.

OK here are the details.

1. I don’t like holding the throttle wide open with no load on the saw, it sounds like its wants to come apart it raps up so high, but during the cut it was under a fairly good load or better stated seemed to be working hard like the chain was really dull it wasn’t a very good cut. . So with that said it wasn’t screaming out of control, if that makes any sense.
2. The fuel was a couple months OLD mixed with STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Engine Oil.
3. It still runs but like a new timing chain on a V8 that’s off one tooth.
4. And after thinking more about the cut I think I was more like 2 min’s instead of 3 but so what?

Don’t want to pull the muffler incase it would void the warranty or something. I will post tomorrow what the dealer says thanks for the help.

I don’t like holding the throttle wide open with no load on the saw, it sounds like its wants to come apart it raps up so high

Sounds like it may have been lean. Has the carb. been adjusted since new ? They often need to be richened a bit after break in.

Tommy can I have the keys to your pickup.......Im going to put it in first gear and hold it to the boards .......How far will it go before it acts up???

No you can NOT. My truck rarely see's over 50MPH, yes I speed now and then, I top 53 or 54 sometime,LOL

Back to saws I'd like to have a buck for all the saws I've seen come in that were fried that had one thing in common, a rocked out super dull chain. Those chains make the saw work lord knows how much longer at wide open throttle to make a cut that would normally take a few seconds.

I'm with Lakeside 100% about making long sustained cuts, slow the rpms down first. What Dale did isn't milling but its close to the samething if he held that little saw wide open and started walking up the trailer. The 5100 tuned normally is running way too fast for sawing like that.

I've sold a few saws in which the buyer told me he was using it to mill. I tellem to adjust the carb so the saw is way slower than normal. To date none have come back cooked, they must have tuned them down.

Latest posts

Back