Some days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I split the last of the "free" wood and moved it in the basement yesterday morning... except for 8 rounds that were too long. I'd tossed them to the side with plans to cut them in half, split and add to the fire pit rack. So I get the saw out, which was wearing a freshly sharpened chain, and it cut the first round like a hot knife through warm butter. On the second round it acted like a dull chain... a very dull chain. I kicked over one of the halves from the first round and there it was... a chunk of limestone protruding from the ground with a shallow saw kerf centered on it. Damn‼

After a few minutes in the shop I had the chain sharp again and finished that little job. Well, since I had the saw out there were these two small ash trees down at the far end of the woodlot. The power company had girdled them a couple years back and they'd finally come down during the last storm... right across one of my trails. And there was also an elm and a Box Elder blocking another trail, both of them small. I started on the first ash, at the top working toward the stump... buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz-zing. I didn't see the old fencing under all the weeds. Damn‼

Back to the shop. Managed to finish the ash trees and moved on the the elm/Box Elder tangle. I don't know which tree was the culprit, and I don't know what it was that tree contained... I just threw the saw up on the bench when I got to the shop, grabbed a cold beer and headed for the front porch. Damnit anyway‼

On the bright side, it wasn't a piece of rebar taking half the teeth off yer chain.

I hear yah, spidey. sawed and split a bit-o-wood for friend of mine. they were town trees!!!!! damn, I hate those things!!! I did hit a few small pieces of steel.. resharpened, and kept going. when I split it all up,,!!!!!! I JUST missed a j hook, and a small glass insulator!!! I showed them to him,,and he said now I know why you weren't happy!!!!!!!!!!

I know the feeling spidey. Cut up a tree the other day and suddenly the chain went dull. Turned out a piece of granite rock was embedded in the tree and it grew completely over it. I also reached for a cold one, and didn't care what time it was.

Well Spidey, if you are going to dull the cutters up on that non-wood stuff, you should be carrying an extra saw chain or two with you. Fewer trips back and forth to the shop eh? :D

The aftermath sounds like what I'd do though. :givebeer:

(I never followed the 5:00 PM 'rule' either. To hell with that.)

I hit a ceramic fence insulator in the center of a big ash trunk. That really put a hurtin' on my brand new 84DL chain. I couldn't believe when I finally got it cut from the other side. This piece was was about 24" diameter and the insulator was right in the middle of it. The nail was rusted out and gone, but the insulator looked like new.

It's funny how a free tree from a well meaning neighbor can cost so much .. Chains are not cheap

I was cutting up an old blue gum that some one had had a crack at years befor, had an unfinished cut in the log so asked the young lady why was the cut not finished , she said not sure think the guy ran outta fuel, so I started and bang , WTF??? ok resharpen move up the log a wood heater length and neat to centure banh WTF?? so I get the smaller saw ms310 and came as the log end on and worked the edges of the round and then split it out with the axe found BOUT 10" FROM CENTURE three old nails these in a log some 28" or so in dia, I don't know musta be put in so 80 or 100 years age BUGGA;O((
THE OTHER DESARSTER was cutting a lovely old dead dry stringy bark blown down on fence line but not AT THIS TIME part of the fence
three chains later after moveing the cut several times id found 2 6" nails a screw in bolt chain latch combo and several lshotr lengths of insulated hot fence wire DUBBLE BUGGA;O((
HAHAH IMa dumb barstard but now Im a lot more careful about offering to do favoure yeah :O))

1 5ft dia boxeder stump- 8 chains , that old yard dog had everything in it except the kitchen sink, did I mention the t-bar post just about dead center as well.
Sounds like the one a buddy asked if I wanted to cut a locust stump. Went to look at it - wrapped with hogwire with bob wahr stubs sticking out and a t-post partly embedded. He really thought I would want that!

My first experience of hitting something was right aftr I retired from the AF. Falling a Red Maple about 24", undercut, moved to back cut and near time for it to go when the chain just quit cutting. Resharped, same thing. Finally Whittled it down. Someone had put a nice big nail in it when it was a sapling, almost dead center of the stump when I cut it.

dbh.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back