Some Input on Cabling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllCape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a couple little cabling projects coming up and the only experience I've had was with old school Steel cable and J-lags. I've been looking into some of the newer Dynamic systems such as the Cobra and the Treesave systems. I was just wondering, Any Input? Good or bad experiences? Anything I should look out for? They seem like a pretty easy system to work with from what I've seen.

Have you tried Rig Ruy...

I recently got a dvd from them...dont no the cost or anything seems easy for applications...

Isnt it Sherill that has the new method with doesnt require any drilling?? I thought i read it there..

Best of luck with it

i've used the cobra system and it works well and is easy to install.

basically here's the skinny:

for trees with compromised branch or stem unions used static cabling systems, sometimes in conjunction with tree rods.

for trees that required pro active mitigation only, a flexing system is best. for example: if you wore a back brace every day, eventually your muscles would atrophy and become weakened. trees are the same way. the stress and heal cycle that occurs during loading is beneficial to tree structure. a static cable could be like the back brace. but the flexible system allows the tree to stress and heal without going so far as to fracture. this in a nutshell is the thinking of why one would consider the newer methods.

good luck, kevin:)

I understand the concept of Dynamic Cabling, I've just never had experience with it. Looking more towards procedural advice on the subject. Or experience with either system, but thank you.

I can tell you the stuff is surprisingly strong. I have abused it to the extreme, and so far it is still holding.

Contrary to Masterarbor's (and just about everybody else's) very sage advice, and mostly because of my own ignorance, I used it to hold together a large live oak with a badly split stem after Katrina. I used it mostly because I had never done any cabling, I thought rope might be easier to work with, and I did not want to do anything "Invasive" in case I screwed up and had to remove and re-install it. I also did not have ready access to a big enough drill motor and bits necessary to install a steel cable system.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=50324

Surprisingly enough, it still stands after 2 years. It has taken gusts to 70 mph in summer thunderstorms. I keep thinking I will get back to it with steel cables to do the job "Right", but death and sickness in the family has absorbed all my spare time and it looks like it will have to wait at least another year.

I used the "Treesave" system available from Sherrill with the slings. I pulled the branches (and thereby also the main stem) together with a tirfor before I installed the rope, or "cable", but I did not pull them together enough that the system was guitar string taught. Just enough to take a little branch weight off the split.

This is obviously abuse of the system, doing something with it it was not meant to do, but I think it commends the system that it has supported the tree as long as it has. It was very easy to install even for this "Newbie".

ultimately, in that situation it would need a bolted static cable system, where the anchor points go all the way through the stem with EHS cable, and a couple of woodrods through the trunk. a lot of people would say it should come down. otherwise, good job installing it with you lack of experience. thanks for the input.

Back