Some people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling that's probably going to be the outcome here.
I don't see anyone changing to accommodate Katherine, especially me.

Although I don't look for you to tolerate it much longer I'd say Katherine is firmly in charge thus far. You quit cutting the first day she came to visit. You are now on the internet announcing your every and next move and somebody took the time to listen to her spiel when she announced a coming change in the neighborhood.
My take is Katherine 2 possibly 3, SRB 0 at this point in the game.
I ain't lookin to make enemies but facts is facts.

I gotta agreee with SS on this one, carry on as you normally do, and keep the fussing to a minimum. the minute you start ramping up the activities that agravate the old biddy you are stooping to her level and in the end will just cause yourself more grief and stress.

We had a neighbor move here from Ohio where he enjoyed a million city and county ordinances to back up his gripes with his neighbors, and for one reason or another ended up here where there are no laws what so ever restricting what a guy can do on your own property. Within two years, we went to war that started with him calling the local sherriffs office on me for my log splitter running after dark in the winter, somewhere around the six pm range. And like a lot of you, I first met his hostility with my own. Since there were no noise ordinances, I had the whole crew over for a cook out and we busted wood till 11pm. He was livid. I have a full scale civil war cannon that I built in high school, and it thundered its way through 40lbs of black powder on New years eve. A solid six hours of firing. He retaliated by glueing my mailbox shut with Gorrilla glue. I handed him one right back by dropping a few roofing nails on his driveway. Like a couple of children, we kept that war on for a solid three years till late one night I came home and him and his wife had slid off the road into the ditch pinning one door against the bank, and he was unable to push his door up on the other side, effectively caging him in.

I considered driving right on by, but I reckon I just didnt have it in me to do that to even my worst enemy, so I dropped a chain over the frame and yarded em out. I expected a prompt "I have a potty mouth" attitude, but was met instead of a lot of grattitude. And you know what? for the first time in several years now, I aint got to worry about the fuzz showing up when yard work goes after dark, and I dont have to be concerned if the latest copy of readers digest is locked behind a glob of Gorrilla glue.

My point is, I wouldnt make any effort to antagonize the gal by doing things that you normally wouldnt do, all that will create is a war and you can forget about any peace and quiet in your own home once that gets started. If you saw wood during the day, then go right ahead and saw your wood. Let her complain to the local PD, I am sure they will set her straight on the first call that you have every right to do that. Time to think with your head here and not your emotions.

For a man with a "wild-kitty" in his signature doing rapid fire exercises those are words of wisdom. I'd say your kindness to him in his distress revealed that character wins over attitude any day. Thanks for posting!

Although I don't look for you to tolerate it much longer I'd say Katherine is firmly in charge thus far. You quit cutting the first day she came to visit. You are now on the internet announcing your every and next move and somebody took the time to listen to her spiel when she announced a coming change in the neighborhood.
My take is Katherine 2 possibly 3, SRB 0 at this point in the game.
I ain't lookin to make enemies but facts is facts.

Interesting take, please explain the method of scoring?
Katherine is going to get a rude awakening, literally, about 8:30 tomorrow morning. Agreed, the first battle was won when I conceded but that won't happen again.
When my BIL gets here in the morning, he's going to lock the gate behind him. If she wants to come back down and complain, she's going to have to walk.
If she calls the sheriff to complain, so what, I'm completely within my rights. She can call all she wants, it'll diminish her credibility. She doesn't live here, or vote here, my neighbors and I do.
When wood cutting starts in earnest, she's going to figure out she made a big mistake by building out here.
Deer season will be another matter altogether. I wonder if orange people sitting in trees make her nervous?
I'm not worried at all, the game isn't over, it's just getting started.

Last edited:
What? all this practical advice...nonsense!

No imagination!

Here's me, Gomer Pyle voice, heavy..

Gooolllleee! Why shoot heck fire dang ifn you ain't cute as a June bug! New neighbors you say! great! I bet you would like to get to meet all the other neighbors and come to one of our weekly donkey orgies, you'll love it"!

sumthin like that there.....

When I encounter ppl like this, I usually will say "Thank you for your concerns & interest in my life, God Bless. I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers" & I carry on. It's amazing how good it works.

Since she is waging war, arm yourself with a tape recorder or better yet a small video recorder. Digital, not tape. The tape ones are too cumbersome. When you see her coming, turn it on to record the event. That way, if push comes to shove, it's better than a witness. It's all recorded in real time, which reminds me, make sure the time and date stamp are correct. Any time she comes onto the property have it handy. And ALWAYS keep your cool. (especially when recording) A recorder of any kind is the best weapon against trash like this.

I used a recorder against a private investigator. The recorder was placed in my pocket and captured both sides of the conversation and cost him his license after I delivered it to the proper authorities. He was extremely angry about it but left me alone after that.

Good on ya for that one :ices_rofl:

I didn't have time to read all the other replies so sorry if it was already mentioned, but the coup de grace will be when you nail her for trespassing. State law here says if you're warned to stay off the property and you return, it's trespassing. If you have to overcome any obstacle to enter the property (i.e. a fence), it becomes criminal trespass. That's one mugshot I'd love to see, if you're lucky maybe your buddy the sheriff could oblige us.

Katherine is going to get a rude awakening, literally, about 8:30 tomorrow morning. Agreed, the first battle was won when I conceded but that won't happen again.
When my BIL gets here in the morning, he's going to lock the gate behind him. If she wants to come back down and complain, she's going to have to walk.
If she calls the sheriff to complain, so what, I'm completely within my rights. She can call all she wants, it'll diminish her credibility. She doesn't live here, or vote here, my neighbors and I do.
When wood cutting starts in earnest, she's going to figure out she made a big mistake by building out here.
Deer season will be another matter altogether. I wonder if orange people sitting in trees make her nervous?

I'm with you on the scoring perplexity, but I think you did right by not starting a pizzing match. Cooler heads prevail and it's very hard to make rational decision during an irrational state. Take this like being in the Army, you are not permitted to fire until fired upon. And since you have been fired upon you now go out there and exercise your RIGHT to use YOUR PROPERTY as you see fit in order to heat your home. If you are a pot stirring kind of guy, tonight you remove the spark arrestor from your muffler to make sure they catch the upper rpm noise just fine :buttkick:

If that happened here, I don't know what I would do or say. How can these people think they can tell you what to do?

We live on a dairy farm and have been pretty fortunate so far but I do believe that will change. We have one subdivision going in just up the road, already multiple houses built and possibly two more sometime in the future. They are getting closer and closer all the time. I just wonder how long before those people stop in and start complaining about the smell, smoke from burning wood or burn piles, or whatever else.

Just keep cutting wood, you are doing nothing wrong. It is one thing if you are cutting wood at 3a.m. but at 9a.m. It is amazing that you kept your cool even with the comment about using electric heat like the rest of the civilized world. I think I would have went off on her at that moment. Normally I am a quite person and it takes alot to get me worked up but that would have for sure.

Last edited:
I have been living near a "interesting" neighbor now for 20 years. They live in a WHOLE different world than the other 4 neighbors do. The 4 neighbors all come from very different backgrounds but we all get along and help each other out. This one goofy one has shown his rage and rants to all of us and at the town meetings when he is not getting what he wants. Sometimes it is hard to not stir the pot, but, I've chose to just ignore him for the most part and it allows me to sleep better at night. Yes, it would be nice if I could choose all my neighbors, BUT, 1 out of 4 is better than some have it.

She got ya clean on the first encounter=1 point. I was torn on point number 2, between 1/2 point or full point but at the time I had forgotten she also got away with belittling you on your job and being able to afford to buy heat but she did rattle you enough to talk about it with strangers. Then she had the gall to go to town and crow about it. I figured one full point would do for the two offenses because in old woman speak it means a lot.
Now that I remember the belittlement if it wasn't an official score I would go back and give her an additional point for that alone. Looking forward to you coming back tomorrow with a full report on how you drove her to insanity. It is an unbiased scoring system, but I'm rooting for you.

Just un zip and pee on her shoes. Turn around and continue cutting, no words said.

Just un zip and pee on her shoes. Turn around and continue cutting, no words said.

Dang would that be funny, but the guy would probably end up on the sex offender list for indecent exposure. But depending on the woman, she might not know what he was holding on to since it's been decades since she seen one up close.

I wouldn't embrace compromise at all... I live out-in-the-county because I don't want to compromise on my lifestyle! Period!
Your new from-the-city neighbor isn't willing to compromise anyway... she's used to living where "rules" are the way of life, where lawyers exploit those rules for whomever is will to pay the most, and believes what she is accustom to applies everywhere. She seriously believes she has a "right" to utter piece and solitude because that's what she thinks she paid for... she's about to have a serious eye-opening experience.

You've lived there how long?? And she's had her retreat for a few weeks/months?? It ain't your place to compromise... she's the one who's intruded into your domain, not the other way around. Your damn right you shouldn't change your lifestyle (but ya' may want to turn your back in her direction when ya' stop to take a pee). She's the newcomer, the one out of her element, the one that's gonna haft'ta adapt or go back where she came from... it really is as simple as that.

Real close to me (walking distance, actually) is sort'a a little rural subdivision-like cluster of 5 homes on the river (Dad has one) the locals refer to as "Midway"... some even consider my place as #6, but i have several acres separating my house and them. Anyway, a few years ago a from-the-city family bought one of those homes with it's suburban size yard by Dad's place... and immediately the "new" guy had the idea he was gonna' be the "boss" of the neighborhood and started laying down "the rules". It was fall, a Saturday morning around 7-7:30, dad had just gotten back from the lake home the day before and I was helping him clean up leaves when this guy comes storming into the yard all red-faced. He lit into us about all the noise our leaf blowers were making, and how it had woke his whole family up, and then preceded to tell us we would be waiting until after breakfast to make such noise from now-on. Dad waited until the guy was all done with his sputtering, and then looked at him and asked, "Well, what time is breakfast Jeffery?" The answer we got was, "We finish breakfast around 9:30 or 10:00." Dad got this big grin on his face, looked back at the guy and said, "You'd best get with the program Jeff, out here breakfast is at 5:00... we're drinkin' beer by 10:00." Then he started the blower back up and continued like he always had.

God Bless your dad!

Latest posts

Back