Someone started cutting a tree down for us and hasn't finished the job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite a few times, and it was me asking.
That being said, it was for roofs ;).
Just because you can put a lein on someone's home doesn't mean they will pay in a timely manner, even if you were to sue.
My kids have always had food too.

Curious, did you ever lose out on a job by asking for half up front? Every bit of home improvement advice says if a contractor asks for half up front and you pay, you'll never see them again.

Don't get me wrong. I see both sides of the coin. Homeowner wants to be sure the job gets done satisfactorily. Contractor wants to be sure they're getting paid for the work they do.

Personally, unless I know them or they were referred by a good customer, I won't schedule a job without some kind of deposit, not necessarily half, but at least 10%. You have no idea how many times I have scheduled a job and shown up to find out the homeowner found someone a hundred bucks cheaper and didn't even have the balls to call me and let me know.

For every "my contractor screwed me" story there are a hundred going the other way. That being said, the mistake wasn't in paying the first half, it was paying the second half.

"For every "my contractor screwed me" story there are a hundred going the other way. " Bingo.

When you drop $$$ in material at a job, you want money.
Going to cut down a tree you are not dropping material. Apples oranges.

So I schedule a job, show up with 5 guys and a hilundred grand in equipment and find out they had it done yesterday, and Im not losing money? How is that apples and oranges?

Doing a roof or drywall or stonework or whatever, you are dropping material AND showing up with your magic.
Cutting down a tree you are not buying material and dropping it at the site is what I was trying to say.

I was trying to agree with you. I'm not very experienced with this internet sawing and will now shut up. Thanks.

Curious, did you ever lose out on a job by asking for half up front? Every bit of home improvement advice says if a contractor asks for half up front and you pay, you'll never see them again.

Don't get me wrong. I see both sides of the coin. Homeowner wants to be sure the job gets done satisfactorily. Contractor wants to be sure they're getting paid for the work they do.
Maybe, I didn't close everything I bid, but I didn't loose more than 30%, so I had a great close rate even when my prices were within 10% of most the smaller guys.
You could say that about the advice before, but now you've heard it here twice.

Yep, it's funny how the trust needs to go both ways, and that's hard to make happen as someone will always be out something while the other isn't. It's like selling a saw here, should I ship the saw before I have the money, then you'll have the saw and your cash, but if you send me the cash first, then I have the cash and the saw. So is life, full of risks, all we can do is try to find balance in the risks we take.

This wasn't a company. This was a guy who supposedly worked for a tree service doing work on the side.

How many times have you heard a story start out "The guy asked for half up front," and the job turned out well? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY legitimate will ask for half up front, even if their kids are starving.
Just because you can put a lein on someone's home doesn't mean they will pay in a timely manner, even if you were to sue.
Dennis, I'm guessing your not a small business owner or never have been. Chipper is and I'm a retired auto repair shop owner after 37 years. If your small and you have to shell out of pocket for materials this is standard procedure if it's not someone you know. Just because you put a mechanics lien on someone's car doesn't mean they will pay you. Never happened in 37 years.

Hello! I am worried about a 80 foot dead ash tree in my yard, and I would appreciate any advice about what we should do at this point. A tree person with 10 years experience sawed through and roped off this tree for removal, but he has never come back to finish the job (pull it into the forest). He left twice when two different ropes snapped (the same ropes I assume are securing the tree right now). He left a third time to order a new part for his pulley system, and that was six days ago. Meanwhile, the tree base has been chainsawed, although I don't know how far through. He said that it is hollow in the middle, so I'm assuming there isn't much left to saw. He placed two wedges in the cut side (the side facing our house), and we can see ropes coming from the tree. We feel like he will eventually return because he works for a reputable tree company (we hired him on the side - he works with our neighbor), and he left his equipment here. My issue is, how secure is this tree in the meantime? Is this common practice or outrageous behavior (I feel like it's a bit outrageous to saw through a tree then disappear for a week). Are we being idiots for waiting patiently? Should be be calling in an emergency tree removal service? This tree is sitting on a ledge and would probably fall into the forest, but if it swung our way (and the ropes snapped), it would definitely fall on our house. Thank you in advance for any helpful information!
WoW!!!
I couldn't read through this thread before blabbing!
One of those things that you NEVER do in the fall & buck is to leave a cut up tree standing!! & thats in the middle of the woods! I've left a tree or two with just a face cut, but not for very long.
The fact that this is next to a home, with people in it, is freaking far out. I'd be sweating bullets if I had to leave that tree, big bullets! You'd have to use some force to get me to walk away from it! I can't imagine that whoever did this is dealing with a complete brain....
The fact that such an easy kill was too much for this person would be enough to terminate proceedings immediately! Of course pics are hard to judge, but that looks like 3 minutes worth of work. Face, backcut, wedge, done. If the tree did have some back lean & you wanted to be careful, you could start with the backcut. Either way, easy kill Without ever uncoiling the ropes.
What it looks like is he went at it with a saw that wouldn't feed due to bad filing, dull chain, a tweaked bar or any combination of the three. Showing up with such poor performing equipment is a big red flag.
It is possible that someone hammered a bunch of nails into it. That would create such complications as we see with the the 2 different kerfs, both looking wavy. He was grinding away for sure.. The wedges look like they were just smashed into the kerf(s) with no awareness of whether the tree was lifting or not. It definitely wasn't! Those wedges are smashed in there good. Breaking ropes, another red flag for such a tree.
The good news is that it appears that there is still plenty of wood left to keep it stood up; again, pictures are hard to judge. A look at the front, or face would be interesting. Thing might have a big old Dutchman in it. (Think about a door that won't close because you put a box in the way of it. The hinge can't hinge.) If that's the case it'll need to be cleaned out.
I'm going to read the rest of the thread now. I'm hoping to read somewhere along the way that someone came & got it on the deck for you.
It's amazing how people can do things like this without feeling utterly embarrassed. Welcome to NewAmerica, I guess....

I'm thinking an 8 lb. sledge might solve the problem. Those wedges aren't driven, rather they appear to have only been palmed or maybe tapped with too light of a hammer/axe... It still has a lot of small branches so it isn't too far gone...
No, those things are smashed out!!

I have thought about calling them. On the one hand, I don't want him to lose his job, but on the other hand, should he really be a tree guy?

I highly suggest that you don't call his employer.

Just like you shouldn't call his ex telling her about the cash he stole from you.

We don't know how stable this guy is but it is a pretty good bet not so stable.

No sense in making trouble for him unless there is at least a glimmer of hope of you getting your money back. That money is gone, btw.

Lots of opinions here, but from my experience living with FIVE, 90% dead ash trees with bases that big, and bigger, swaying in howling winds during every storm (we're at 1k feet in central MA - we get STRONG winds often), just across a narrow, old street width from my barn and house, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine are so dead bark is falling off. When I first moved here I figured one of them would crush my barn within the next 5 years. Well, here we are 2 decades later, they're deader than ever, and yet they still stand. They'll shed branches here and there during storms, but nothing big. Ash is very strong and flexible - that's why it's used for tool handles and baseball bats. To me it doesn't look like he cut far enough through to be a danger, and the wedges are in the correct direction. From what I've seen over the past 20 years, it's a non-issue.

If that were pine, this would be a completely different story.
"A non issue", dude are you crazy? Dying white ash at a certain point becomes brittle, very brittle. Ever cut coffee wood? Just like that! At least dying white pine will often offer you a nice
surdy pitch vein or 2 to hold it on the stump.

This wasn't a company. This was a guy who supposedly worked for a tree service doing work on the side.

How many times have you heard a story start out "The guy asked for half up front," and the job turned out well? Nobody, and I mean NOBODY legitimate will ask for half up front, even if their kids are starving.
That I 100% disagree with. Go have a house built without a penny paid. See how that works out for you and let us know. You realize how many quality guys get stiffed?

Lien's in Illinois do not do poo

MATERIALS are not free in the construction business. Once a roof, siding, cabinets, flooring, trim, etc is installed in/on a house as a contactor what are you going to do? Are you saying your going to go rip it back off/out??????

Doing a roof or drywall or stonework or whatever, you are dropping material AND showing up with your magic.
Cutting down a tree you are not buying material and dropping it at the site is what I was trying to say.

I was trying to agree with you. I'm not very experienced with this internet sawing and will now shut up. Thanks.
Time is money and time wasted is money lost. It is a simple economic principle related to "opportunity costs"

....................... It's like selling a saw here, should I ship the saw before I have the money, then you'll have the saw and your cash, but if you send me the cash first, then I have the cash and the money. So is life, full of risks, all we can do is try to find balance in the risks we take.
100%

I highly suggest that you don't call his employer.

Just like you shouldn't call his ex telling her about the cash he stole from you.

We don't know how stable this guy is but it is a pretty good bet not so stable.

No sense in making trouble for him unless there is at least a glimmer of hope of you getting your money back. That money is gone, btw.
Hello ole DEL

I disagree. I could give two cares less about contacting an ex but when it comes to an employer that is a different story. If the guy is flipping burgers at the local choke and puke his employer is irrelevant. If however the guy is working for a reputable tree service and doing side work the employer needs notified. If it is a reputable company they will want to know what their employee is doing as it REFLECTS on them and their reputation.

Latest posts

Back