Someone talk me into trading my new MS290 in for a MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenZero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
One week ago I went shopping at my local Stihl dealer for a mid-range saw, mainly for use as a bucking saw. I already have a MS180C for light work and figured something bigger would be welcome.

The first saw that caught my mind while in the shop was the MS260 Pro. My dealer is a stand up guy and told me he'd hate to see me spend that kind of money ($479 I think?) on a saw that was pretty much overkill for my needs. He talked me into the MS290 and I promptly brought it home and sat it on the shelf. I have yet to use it other than running the fuel out of the carb.

So now a week has gone by and I can't help but 2nd guess myself, especially after reading the 290's lack of popularity here. Most of the reasons I agree with, especially it's weight.

I'm not sure if my dealer will allow me to trade the saw back in towards the 260 since it hasn't been used.

1. Will most dealers (in your opinion) allow this?
2. What other benefits will I gain other than the weight savings by going with the 260?

I think the 290 will suit my needs, but i'm willing to bet in 10 years i'll be thanking myself for choosing the 260.

DEW IT,

Is that what you wanted to hear? I've never ran an 026/260, but a lot of my buddies have them and love them.

Your time may be running out.. I think you on;y have 7 days to swtich saws...

-Steve

TenZero said:
One week ago I went shopping at my local Stihl dealer for a mid-range saw, mainly for use as a bucking saw. I already have a MS180C for light work and figured something bigger would be welcome.

The first saw that caught my mind while in the shop was the MS260 Pro. My dealer is a stand up guy and told me he'd hate to see me spend that kind of money ($479 I think?) on a saw that was pretty much overkill for my needs. He talked me into the MS290 and I promptly brought it home and sat it on the shelf. I have yet to use it other than running the fuel out of the carb.

So now a week has gone by and I can't help but 2nd guess myself, especially after reading the 290's lack of popularity here. Most of the reasons I agree with, especially it's weight.

I'm not sure if my dealer will allow me to trade the saw back in towards the 260 since it hasn't been used.

1. Will most dealers (in your opinion) allow this?
2. What other benefits will I gain other than the weight savings by going with the 260?

I think the 290 will suit my needs, but i'm willing to bet in 10 years i'll be thanking myself for choosing the 260.

Call your dealer. Stihl has a 7 days "no questions asked" return policy... If you are buying another saw, there is no reason he wouldn't take it back in any case.

I'd take the 260-pro any day over the 290.. I'ts not just about horsepower.

Thanks a ton for all the quick replies!

I just checked the receipt and noticed I purchased the 290 on the 13th. I sure hope he'll still allow a trade in.

I cant say for sure, but I am willing to bet he will take it back for what you paid for it. My first stihl was a 029 and I used it (maybe 3 or 4 tanks of mix through it) and the dealer took it back for what I paid for it and sold me the 036 that I have now. But maybe my dealer was just being nice I dont know.

Ain't it Purty!!!

attachment.php

Lakeside53 said:
Call your dealer. Stihl has a 7 days "no questions asked" return policy... If you are buying another saw, there is no reason he wouldn't take it back in any case.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

You see, it's not a 'policy' per se....it's more of a gimmick, and a voluntary one at that.

Go for the 260. why carry more weight around when a lighter saw can do the job? besides, the 260 just looks great.

I did the same exact thing back in March, but it was trading in a 280 for a 260 Pro. Bought the 280, 8 days later brought it back and the dealer had NO problem switching it out for a 260 Pro.
Do I feel like I made the right move? HECK YEAH!!!!!
The 260 Pro is one awesome saw, the best I have ever used. I have cut 14 face cords with it already this year, the saw is light, powerful and easy to use.
You asked about other benefits beside weight. The decompression valve makes starting an already easy starting saw even easier. Push in the valve, and that baby fires up with minimal pull effort. The adjustable oiler is nice to have when you are into some dense wood like oak or hornbeam.

Do it, don't look back, you will be pleased.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a rebuilt 026 from a member on this site. I was kind of looking for a smaller saw for limbing and large shrub removal since my MS360 w/20" bar is a little big for a lot of the work we do. The 026 filled the gap for my company perfectly. So far in the two weeks I've owned the saw its been used to remove two 22-28"storm damaged Bradford pear trees, several 12" pines and some big shrubs. I probably could have used the 360 on 1/2 of the Bradfords but it sat in the truck since the 026 could handle it fine. I also have a MS310 and the 026 is such a better saw it's not even funny. The 026 starts faster, weight much less and accelerates quicker. The 026 supplies more oil that the 310 also.

Matt

Thanks everyone! (except for coveredinpoo) Everyone's advice has been most helpful.

The dealer had no problems at all swapping saws for me, and he still allowed me to use the Father's Day $20 off towards the 260. Just to show him thanks I bought a Stihl hardhat and spare chain and bar for my little 180C.

Funny how when anyone on this site mentions a 260 nothing but praise is sang about them.

coveredinsap said:
You see, it's not a 'policy' per se....it's more of a gimmick, and a voluntary one at that.

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!! lolololololol, Sap if you had some smarts you'd be dangerous,lololol

TenZero said:
Thanks everyone! (except for coveredinpoo) Everyone's advice has been most helpful.

The dealer had no problems at all swapping saws for me, and he still allowed me to use the Father's Day $20 off towards the 260. Just to show him thanks I bought a Stihl hardhat and spare chain and bar for my little 180C.

Funny how when anyone on this site mentions a 260 nothing but praise is sang about them.

Ohhh... sap won't be happy with this outcome! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back