Something went wrong (jonsered 2252)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkinslow

mkinslow

ArboristSite Guru
Well I went to run my little Jonsered 2252 today and mess around in some wood. Started it on choke and as soon as I hit the trigger to idle it down. It just stopped dead. Not seized but just stopped and will not restart. All it'll do is a little puff (backfire)out of the carburetor. Could it have jumped time It does have some carbon smears on the P/C. I did a MM awhile back but it's been running perfect up till this afternoon. Are there any known problems like this that exist with these saws.

mathewsdxt75

mathewsdxt75

Arboristsit lurker
Well I went to run my little Jonsered 2252 today and mess around in some wood. Started it on choke and as soon as I hit the trigger to idle it down. It just stopped dead. Not seized but just stopped and will not restart. All it'll do is a little puff (backfire)out of the carburetor. Could it have jumped time It does have some carbon smears on the P/C. I did a MM awhile back but it's been running perfect up till this afternoon. Are there any known problems like this that exist with these saws.
I would check compression and test for good blue spark first. If that test good, then a squirt of fuel down the carb and see if it will fire. My two cents.

mkinslow

mkinslow

ArboristSite Guru
I would check compression and test for good blue spark first. If that test good, then a squirt of fuel down the carb and see if it will fire. My two cents.
Haven't checked compression but it does have spark. It's also one of the new auto adjust carb models so I'm trying too get some ideas before I mess around too much

mkinslow

mkinslow

ArboristSite Guru
Alright I shot some fuel down carb and used a. Ew plug and I'm not getting a start or a pop This one may go up for a project trade or for sale. I really don't care for the auto tune anyway

tallfarmboy

tallfarmboy

ArboristSite Guru
Take a look at your flywheel, may have sheared the key that keeps it in time.:cool:
I 2nd that... By chance have you had the flywheel off anytime soon and didn't get it tightened properly? If your ignition timing is still OK, I would suspect that you may have lost compression... perhaps straight gas?

mkinslow

mkinslow

ArboristSite Guru
IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0997.JPG
Take a look at your flywheel, may have sheared the key that keeps it in time.:cool:
Just checked flywheel and it is fine and key was not sheared. I've never taken this saw apart other than the mm I did awhile back. Can't check compression. I loaned that tool out to a friend and he's not done with it yet. Made sure coil was tight and located correct. No straight gas. This saw along with my ps421 are on VP 40:1. Here's best pics of P/C I can get from the weird latex back angle of cylinder on these saws

tallfarmboy

tallfarmboy

ArboristSite Guru
Your piston and cylinder look great. I would guess that you have sheared your flywheel key and it's so far out of time that it won't fire. Just because you have spark doesn't necessarily mean that it is sparking at the right time.