Need A Little Help On A 1977 Jonsereds 49

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I stopped over at my Pop's yesterday afternoon. His old Jonsereds 49 seems to be short on power. It revs up nice but craps out under load. It seemed like the idle was low and when I turned the screw just a hair clockwise, it crapped out and was hard to start again. Assuming I can get this thing running, I was going to try to tach it. Does anyone know where the high-end on RPMs would be? Everything is original on this beast, including the carburetor as far as I know. It was used a lot in the late 70s and early 80s but only intermittently since then. He's got a tri-axle load of wood to get through and we'd like to get this thing running tiptop.

Is this the same company known today as Jonsered (reportedly built by Husqvarna)?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I stopped over at my Pop I's yesterday afternoon. His old Jonsereds 49 seems to be short on power. It revs up nice but craps out under load. It seemed like the idle was low and when I turned the screw just a hair clockwise, it crapped out and was hard to start again. Assuming I can get this thing running, I was going to try to tach it. Does anyone know where the high-end on RPMs would be? Everything is original on this beast, including the carburetor as far as I know. It was used a lot in the late 70s and early 80s but only intermittently since then. He's got a tri-axle load of wood to get through and we'd like to get this thing running tiptop.

Is this the same company known today as Jonsered (reportedly built by Husqvarna)?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

This is still a true jonsered before husky was involved. Max (no load) rpm is 10,600. I would take a good look at the carb, fuel filter and line for starters, sounds like it might just need a cleaning. The inlet screen in the carb will tell the tale more than likely.

This is still a true jonsered before husky was involved. Max (no load) rpm is 10,600. I would take a good look at the carb, fuel filter and line for starters, sounds like it might just need a cleaning. The inlet screen in the carb will tell the tale more than likely.

Yep...what he said.....new carb kit and good cleaning is needed....carb kit # is RK 23 HS.....and as Zero_sum said pay close attention to the inlet filter under the carb top cover...it's down in a hole about 1/4" in dia.....new fuel filter and line...or if it still has the original filter, remove the bolt in the end and take it apart and clean the felt and blow out the sintered bronze filter. What looks like a crimped clamp/collar (again.. if all original) that holds the line to the filter works this way....take a screw driver and pry it up onto the line...do not try to alter/uncrimp it it...remove the line..when replacing slide the collar onto the line an inch or so first, put the line on the filter then slide the collar back down....often a misunderstood feature on the old Jonsereds, but works really good...and your filter stays on.

Thanks dudes! I'll give the carb a peak. We changed the fuel filter yesterday and filled 'er up with fresh gas but she was still choking. :mad:

Latest posts

Back