Sooooo, I thought I would have enough... Then I ran out... Rant plus need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From everything I hear, good luck buying truly seasoned wood this time of year anywhere near the state of NJ. Seems like if most sellers have anything left in January, it's not seasoned long enough but they know people don't plan well and will buy anything at this point. I have plenty of wood I could sell now but I know it won't be ready until next year. I pretty much sell all of my wood between Sept-early Dec.

the hotter you run the house,,esp above 69 degrees,, you will burn wayyyyyy more wood to keep that temp....as you have learned......try keeping it at 69. if it feels cold,,get a humidifier.......

I forgot to mention that my small ranch house ~1400 sq.ft. has just under 40 windows, which includes 5 skylights..

Just curious 1967 Tempest, are you saying you already burnt 4 full cords or 4 face cords? My place is about 1400 sq.ft., been keeping it at 72 degrees (higher when the wife aint home :) ). That's a lot of wood if its full cords.

3.80 full cords or right around 500 sq.ft.

Or 6.5 feet high by 5 and change deep by 16.5 feet wide

Or just under 4 cord. That's zero oil usage. I mean I turned the e switch off so she couldn't turn it on when I'm not there.

The two cord I just got is about half of what I went through. We also started early and I got a new job so I'm home more. Loading it more. I thought that was gonna get me to March 1st!!!!

I do. I have a 6 foot monster! Truth it moves slowly. I should have gotten a 5 or 5.5 footer than moves faster. The small windows are really old. If I replaced them, it would be down right hot in the house. But I am hopefully moving to NC before next winter.

Just so you all know, I'm still doing fine. No chance of running out this year.
Yeah... right... that's a good one.
I ain't buyin' it... yet :D
Now... when we get to mid April and if you can say you're still doin' fine... then I'll believe it... maybe.
:lol:

Try and get your bought wood in the sunlight and cover it if calling for bad weather, stack a little from the top under cover after a couple days of sun. I burn 10+ cords a year and wood shed only holds about 9( reminder to self to make shed bigger), so I keep some outside shed stacked on pallets, covered on top with air and sun getting in and around stack, then when half of shed is empty I move that inside. Been in a jam like you and sunlight does wonders for wet wood as long as you keep the stack moving and covered/ uncovered as weather permits. Also might want to think about cleaning your chimney after burning wet/damp wood!

You don't need more wood you need a more efficient unit . That is absurd of an amount to go through for such a small place . An old outside wood boiler would use less

Sorry if I didnt read it anywhere but what species are you burning? As others noted thats an obnoxious amount to burn if it's hardwood, less if it's not good wood.

My boiler will gobble 3 cords of aspen a month if it's split small. Or about 1.25-1.5 of hardwood.

As others noted thats an obnoxious amount to burn...
I agree, it sounds like a lot... but... started burnin' early, in an insert, vaulted ceiling(s), lots of windows, we don't know what sort of wood, and then 78° (just imagine the temps in the vaulted ceiling).
Still... even though I normally don't fret about how much wood it takes to stay warm... I do believe I'd be lookin' at some sort'a change. Likely I'd start with something closer to 70° and see where that put me (I'd be uncomfortable at 78°... that's sauna temperatures).

I'm thinking he must be making a heck of a lot of coals if he's been feeding an insert frequently enough to keep that house at 78! I know whenever I've burnt my stoves hard to keep up with zero degree weather the coals build up fast...even in my old non-airtight stove.

I got a oil fill in Nov. it was $3.80 per gal. called last Wed . for current prices its now $2.27 lucky me im still at 1/2 so I don't need, can't get a fill yet. (150 gal min.) and my tank is 250 gal. I can get a year out of one fill if I burn Dec through Feb. So IMO if you had to run out of wood better this year than last year.

I've burned about a cord and been heating since mid October!

Now in the shop a cord might last 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back