Sooooo, I thought I would have enough... Then I ran out... Rant plus need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me started on burn rates. I've burned 6 full cord already, 5 cord of pine through Oct to Jan and 1 cord of beech since beginning of Jan. I've got 1 more cord of Beech and a cord of Locust and maple to take me into and hopefully through Feb. If not then there's 7 cord of pine left to get me into May. There's some wood down out in back that I would have to drag up and split if push come to shove, plus a lot of MIL's furniture I could accidentally run over with the tractor. OOPS, did I say that out loud ?

I just did some quick figuring and I have gone through about 2.5 cords so far this year and the fuel guage on the oil tank has yet to move!!!

I burnt 1-1.50 cord of hardwood
This year so far .if I still had my old Englander wood furnace it would likely be double that amount by now

I've burnt just shy of three cords of mixed...if I had been burning all hardwood, probably closer to two cords.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Burning part time I've used a cord of mixed softwood (aspen, spruce) and cord mixed hardwood (primarily black ash with some maple and birch).

Given the price of oil and the price of wood, if I happen to run out, which I will not I would quickly make the switch to oil.
I don't get too excited about the fire going out...I have a heat pump that barely raises the electric bill when its not that cold out and a propane furnace when its cold. For the few dollars of electric and propane I incur, its not a big deal. The savings the wood provides is significant, don't get me wrong...I just don't (can't) worry about feeding it 24/7.

SO I had scrounged juuuuuuuusssst over 4 cords of wood. Plus another cord I had of stuff that was too big. All dry. Cut split and stacked... Then I ran out. I called around for DRY firewood and I got a response of this stuff being dry and we can drop it off today.

P.S. If I had known this I would have CSS 7 cord!!! I thought I had more, but I must have measured drunk..

Drink less, cut more.

You don't need more wood you need a more efficient unit . That is absurd of an amount to go through for such a small place . An old outside wood boiler would use less

Belive me, i want one. My snobby town has banned them. They say eyesore and smoke when they smolder. I cut a bunch of wood in the spring for my neighbor. She hasnt used any of it. About two cords seasoned. Hopefully i can get permission from theoth e neighbor todrive truck over his lawn togetit. Ill use that to mingle i with the other stuff.

When we move ti NC,i will make sure ihave an OWB and enough land for 4-5 years ahead. Plus outdoor gunrange!!!

P.s. if a tree is down on side of the road since spring or so, can i use that? Or too wet?

Belive me, i want one. My snobby town has banned them. They say eyesore and smoke when they smolder. I cut a bunch of wood in the spring for my neighbor. She hasnt used any of it. About two cords seasoned. Hopefully i can get permission from theoth e neighbor todrive truck over his lawn togetit. Ill use that to mingle i with the other stuff.

When we move ti NC,i will make sure ihave an OWB and enough land for 4-5 years ahead. Plus outdoor gunrange!!!

P.s. if a tree is down on side of the road since spring or so, can i use that? Or too wet?

Depends on the species and how long it was dead before it fell and whether or not the bark was on it, etc.

Not knowing the particulars, if it was live then got cut or fell over just this past year, no, it will be about brand new fresh inside.

Most firewood doesn't think about drying until cut/split/stacked. A lot of it will rot before drying if not cut/split/stacked.

Depends on the species and how long it was dead before it fell and whether or not the bark was on it, etc.

Not knowing the particulars, if it was live then got cut or fell over just this past year, no, it will be about brand new fresh inside.

Most firewood doesn't think about drying until cut/split/stacked. A lot of it will rot before drying if not cut/split/stacked.
dead on zog!!!!! :clap::clap: esp now with bugs infesting trees!!!

so far, ive used about 1.5 cord, of mixed hardwood...in a O L D riteway 37 furnace
I'm closer to 2½ cord... maybe a bit over.
Although 1½ of that wasn't what I'd call "mixed hardwood"... more like mixed pot-luck. It was from that free dump truck load, and a some of it had started to take a turn for the worst (punky edges and/or centers). A fair amount of Box Elder, Silver Maple, Pin Cherry, Black Cherry, and some mystery wood. There was also some sort'a punky Hard Maple, Hackberry, American Elm, Walnut, and a little Ash mixed in. We burned through that pretty fast (still have a cord or better saved back for spring), but the consumption slowed way down when we switched over to the Bur Oak 'round December first.

I don't even know how much wood we burned through this year. I usually have about a four year supply and fill our woodshed (soft topped portable carport) in the summer. My wife brings the wood in the house, feeds the fire, takes out the ashes and tells me when i need to clean the chimney. Next summer, I'll refill the "woodshed" and then will know about how much she burned. We probably go through 4 to 5 cords on average to 100% heat 3500+ square feet. (three floors of 1200+ sq feet each)

Prolly getting around 6 cord burned to date. Mostly ash, and a bit of maple and 'junk' wood early on. Usually like to have about 12 cords to feel comfortable, about 8 hardwood and 4 whatever. Last year I think we may have topped 12 cord. Feeding a large Dutchwest stove and smaller insert to heat a 2400 sq foot 140 year old farm house. House has hotspots and coldspots :).

Prolly getting around 6 cord burned to date. Mostly ash, and a bit of maple and 'junk' wood early on. Usually like to have about 12 cords to feel comfortable, about 8 hardwood and 4 whatever. Last year I think we may have topped 12 cord. Feeding a large Dutchwest stove and smaller insert to heat a 2400 sq foot 140 year old farm house. House has hotspots and coldspots :).
sounds like past due,, to insulate the abode...............

I'm closer to 2½ cord... maybe a bit over.
Although 1½ of that wasn't what I'd call "mixed hardwood"... more like mixed pot-luck. It was from that free dump truck load, and a some of it had started to take a turn for the worst (punky edges and/or centers). A fair amount of Box Elder, Silver Maple, Pin Cherry, Black Cherry, and some mystery wood. There was also some sort'a punky Hard Maple, Hackberry, American Elm, Walnut, and a little Ash mixed in. We burned through that pretty fast (still have a cord or better saved back for spring), but the consumption slowed way down when we switched over to the Bur Oak 'round December first.
the mix in the basement, is honey locust, hackberry, ash, and white oak. like I said in another post. burning more of the locust now. iffin I had places to get it, id burn nothing but locust, except at start of season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about cut rounds about 16" long 16" across. Cut a year ago. Same as downed tree? Not dry? I ask because my neighbor has prolly 4 cords needing a Splitting. I'm happy do it, if the juice is worth the a squeeZe for me this year.

Latest posts

Back