Sorting out the little Homelites (XL, XL-2, Super 2, etc.)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was given a box of little Homelites in pieces today. There's two complete saws in there (in pieces) and plenty of spare parts.

I have two motors, and I'm not sure what they belong to. I have flywheel covers (5 of them total), and I have two from LX-30's (red and black covers), a metal and a plastic one from an XL, a metal one from an XL-2, and there was a badly damaged plastic (if I remember correctly) one from a Super 2.

I have 2 points style coils and one electronic, all are good.

Regarding my two motors, both of which are good, one is points style (it has the raised relief that the points sit in), and the other is electronic. Neither of them have the diaphragm-style oiler that I've seen on a few of these types saws in the past. I'm having trouble finding any numbers, and was wondering what kind of indicators there are for IDing them.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

XL Smaller engine (1.6?C.I.D.), no oil pump - just crankcase pressure pulses to the oil tank
XL-2 Smaller engine, diaphragm oil pump
Super-2 Larger engine (1.9 C.I.D.), diaphragm oil pump

The earlier ones had double triggers and were magnesium cased. Later ones were plastic cased and had only the rear trigger, thanks to OSHA and U.L. Great little saws but a PITA to work on.

Regarding them being a PITA to work on, I personally feel very differently. Pull 6 bolts and the shortblock's in your hand. Quite the difference from a minimac (not that I made a fair comparison here!). But seriously, I think that regarding small saws, they're great to work on. I don't like that diaphragm oil pump though.

Thanks a lot for the reply, very helpful!

Back