source for zenoah sized alternative

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ridgebacks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not a chainsaw question per se. I run model boats and the popular choice is the zenoah g260. Is there a comparable size and power motor out there that can be sourced. There seems to be all sorts of shortcomings on these motors, but some builders are getting well over 5hp out of them w/substantial mods. Thanks.

Not familiar with a g260.....

I don't know if it would be cheaper to buy the whole saw or just the longblock if you have a fuel system, but the 62cc Redmax 621 saw might be what you are looking for. I have spoke to builders who have had great results from porting these engines. 5-6 hp should not be a problem. I have never owned one so I can't speak on it's build quality or longevity.

Here is a link to the saw: http://www.amickssuperstore.com/RedMax_G621AVS_Chainsaw_20_p/redmax g621avs chainsaw 20.htm

How about a weedwacker engine? Ive seen them turned into aircraft engines with a few mods.

You can buy a whole weedwacker for about $70 on sale and mod the heck out of it.

I don't know if it would be cheaper to buy the whole saw or just the longblock if you have a fuel system, but the 62cc Redmax 621 saw might be what you are looking for.

IIRC, Redmax IS Zenoah.
I do not know how the chainsaws are built though. For aircraft, you'd want something with a separate crankcase like a consumer Husky or Stihl, because you don't want to hang a chainsaw chassis in the nose of your plane. (unless you build the tail too heavy and need an extra pound or two of nose weight:cry: ) You'd also want something that can run without the flywheel, or with a lightweight substitute for the flywheel. (you get enough rotating mass from the propeller)

Edit: I didn't read the OP very well, did I? I saw "Zenoah" and assumed we were talking about Zenoah aircraft motors.

Last edited:
I don't know if it would be cheaper to buy the whole saw or just the longblock if you have a fuel system, but the 62cc Redmax 621 saw might be what you are looking for. I have spoke to builders who have had great results from porting these engines. 5-6 hp should not be a problem. I have never owned one so I can't speak on it's build quality or longevity.

Here is a link to the saw: http://www.amickssuperstore.com/RedMax_G621AVS_Chainsaw_20_p/redmax g621avs chainsaw 20.htm

LMFAO!

:yourock:

for an RC boat 8-9 HP shouldnt be a problem. and ohhh whata powerband them Zenoah's have in a boat.

the saw stock is 5 HP.

Last edited:
I used to have some RC boats and it would depend on the size of hull you have and what type of speed you expect to get from your boat. While I used to run glow engines that turned 20000rpm, I do have a lot of experience with gassers too. You won't get the same performance as a zenoah because the zenoah engines are modded weedeater motors that are liquid cooled. If you ported a 50cc saw you would be close to a zenoah but would need a large boat to suit it. The Stihl 026 Dolmar 5100 and 346xp would be great candidates for a RC boat but beacuse they turn a little less rpms you would want to run a high pitch prop and maybe even use a surface prop to get the boat to perform well. The bonus is a chainsaw motor will last a lot longer than a Zenoah and have more torque down low to give you a good holeshot.

Back