Southern California GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PasoRoblesJimmy
Telemetry Group, Range Commanders Council, JCS
Henry, forget the desert this one time if it's even remotely possible. Let's try to make this GTG happen. Our window will be closing soon enough like Bounty mentioned. If you feel like riding, there is Hungry Valley next door...

We need to secure a suitable campground for Columbus Day weekend soonest. Time is running out. The Los Padres NF map shows several organizational/group campgrounds located west of Frazier Park. Is it be possible to obtain a reservation or a permit for one of these group campgrounds? A group campground could be ideal for a chainsaw GTG.

We should be prepared to bring our own logs for "chainsaw abuse".

IMO, we should forget Hungry Valley and concentrate on a GTG for chainsaws.

CHEVYTOWN13

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
I agree Jimmy

This has to be a SAW GTG.

However, for those that want to ride, hunt, whatever else, take the saw part seriously, let's have a blast, and then if whoever wants to ride later, or hunt or whatever, be our guest. Have you ever been to Hungry Valley when the sun is setting? Full moon? Awesome show man.

For me, I'm taking this saw GTG seriously as I can't wait for you folks to run my saws. I have to find out what ya'll think about my tuning. And also runnning others' saws. So I'm just going for the saws and some fun talk and good times:hmm3grin2orange:

Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
The grade valley area might be a great place...there is a huge quantity of down timber dropped and slashed by Forest service...just waiting to be bucked and split. These woods were burnt by the Day Fire from three years ago, and the wood was dropped last spring...it's perfect and dry.
You can get a firewood permit (weather permitting!) for three cords for $30.00...but they want the wood out so they really don't care if you take 30 cords (don't ask me how many cords I got...Ha Ha Ha Forest Service ;)

There's a nice campground at Pine Springs, which interestingly enough did not get burned...spared by some miracle, cuz at the time this part of the forest was burning, a firestorm brought on by its own heat and ferocity swept all the way to Lockwood Valley...and had created heat driven winds of 150 MPH HORIZONTALLY!!!!! Yikes!!!!!

There's a spot I know also for some fine camping in a few hundred feet of some nice 36" to 60" timber...perfect to run some big-bore saws...and its really pretty too. I will recon this weekend, been too busy yet. its accessable even to mid-sized motorhomes and campers.

This GTG sounds like fun! (All my saws are STOCK...Boo Hoo! :laugh:...but even stock 660 mag is still a ton o' fun)

Bounty Hunter

PasoRoblesJimmy
Bounty, you have this figured out well brother. Good job:cheers:

I'm starting to see fruit on the tree...
:agree2:
It is a good idea to scout out potential areas for a chainsaw GTG campsite in advance. I am unfamiliar with that area. I have been reading in the news how a few environmentalist wackos want to enact a total ban on dispersed, off-road camping in the Sierra National Forest. They want to herd the public into their tiny overcrowded, organized campgrounds. Once the ban begins, the anti-dispersed camping disease will spread like cancer.

Last edited:
Henry G.

Henry G.

ArboristSite Guru
Sounds good, I have a toyhauler to camp so it will be in comfort. The GTG thing is near the top of my list, but I wait all summer long to get back to riding the dez with a ton of friends I have,which is really my first priority, just being honest. I'm going to try racing this year for the first time so I have to commit to getting some riding in ASAP.
I would be very happy with a day trip, especially if I came home with a trailer and truck full of wood, some new friends and some coldies in my gut.

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
Check out this GTG. It looks like more fun than chainsaws!!!!

Family Day in Alabama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYzH9BBiinM

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Cant watch that right now, stuck with dial up here. But the title sounds good enough for me.

I hope to hit up the west coast one day and see some of them trees yall have. I really liked the looks of those first couple pictures on the start of the thread, of the water, looked nice

CHEVYTOWN13

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds good, I have a toyhauler to camp so it will be in comfort. The GTG thing is near the top of my list, but I wait all summer long to get back to riding the dez with a ton of friends I have,which is really my first priority, just being honest. I'm going to try racing this year for the first time so I have to commit to getting some riding in ASAP.
I would be very happy with a day trip, especially if I came home with a trailer and truck full of wood, some new friends and some coldies in my gut.

Take care of what you got to do Hank, no worries. Hopefully, we can set a date where we can all GTG. I'm bummed out that Mr. Bow Saw can't do it because of his business. It's understandable. Take care of what you gotta do with your moto's. Good luck BTW:cheers:

Maybe we should think of just a Saturday other than the holiday?? Any of the others want to chime in?

Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey All,
Here's some recon photos of the Grade Valley area I was talking about...there's some pretty nice timber there, especially for So. Cal. dead and down. Once the fire restrictions are lifted by Forest Service, we can go at it...
Below is a approx. 66" pine, probably about 500 years old. That's my forestry helmet on the log, to give some sense on perpective...yeah, that's a pretty big piece of timber...
attachment.php

Below is a 48" log
attachment.php

The pic below is a 36" log I was working...and saw what great colors and sweet mineral burn in wood...so I freehand cut with the 660 Mag a nice 2 1/2" thick slab that I am making into a coffee table.
attachment.php

There is some nice camping in this immediate area, within a couple hundred yards walking distance of the logs pictured above. Below is a nice unimproved camp that is big enough for 15 - 20 sites...
attachment.php

Or there is a Forest Service campground within a half mile, at Pine Springs. This is a pretty nice camping area, with toilets but no water
attachment.php

What do you all think? Would this work, assuming the fire restrictions were lifed and they will let us cut?

Bounty Hunter

PasoRoblesJimmy
Hell yeah it would work!!!

The camping too. Even if some folks can't camp, a day trip they can do:cheers:

Looking real stout BOUNTY:clap:
:agree2:
Good work Bounty. If it isn't too dusty, that unimproved camping area looks ideal for tents and RVs. We will have to bring our own portapotties and water. Will the fire restrictions allow us to obtain campfire permits for charcoal/gas grills and stoves? We could drag a few logs to camp for chainsaw fun.
:clap:

PasoRoblesJimmy
Jimmy Jam, it's going to get dusty when I start throwing some donuts with the locker engaged:greenchainsaw: J/K!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Bounty threw a Rambo with his recon:clap:

FYI, the USFS has a zero sense of humor regarding immature slobs who spin their tires and tear up the dirt. Deep tire ruts in soft ground cause heavy erosion during the rainy season.

Irresponsible driving and immature displays of bad manners by a few inconsiderate slobs is a surefire way to get a total ban on dispersed, off road camping.
:monkey:

PasoRoblesJimmy
You weren't thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!!!

Dude, you have no sense of humor:greenchainsaw:

Most native-born sons of NorCal assume that the rude and crude culture of SoCal is out of touch with reality. Many beautiful camping spots in Northern California (the real part of California) have been padlocked and banned by the USFS because of a few slobs.

My body is on the Central Coast. My heart is in the State of Jefferson.

Last edited:
CHEVYTOWN13

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Jimmy Jam, I agree with keeping our forests clean of bad stuff.

I was only poking fun at your statement about being too "dusty." It's camping bro, and it will be dusty. But we're going to have a blast and that's what counts.

Later.

Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Brothers,

The unimproved camp is mostly sand and gravel...not too dusty. The Forest Service roads are in pretty good shape as well, being mostly rocky. There are some washboard sections...but what dirt roads don't get washboard this late in the summer?

There is some spring water very near this camp, remarkably deep for this time of year. I tried to take a short cut to the 66" log and was stopped by deep water...until I found a fallen log that spanned the stream...and hiked accross it like in "King Kong". Turns out the hill next to the camp is a much better bet...no risk of dropping your gear, your saws, or yourself in the drink.

As far as slobs and morons go, every forest has some...the expanding California "Wilderness" designations prove that. We live and play in a delicate enviroment...but look at what the Day fire and the Zaca fire did to the Los Padres Forest...Hundreds of thousands of square acres torched, and prime old-growth trees destroyed...I am certainly concerned about what a severe winter storm could do to the denuded landscape.
I think USFS has some pretty big fish to fry...

So let's have some fun, cut some wood, play and be mindful of the forest all the same...I for one am big-time friendly to my Forest Service bros, because they let me cut my firewood! :chainsaw:

Bounty Hunter

PasoRoblesJimmy
Jimmy Jam, I agree with keeping our forests clean of bad stuff.

I was only poking fun at your statement about being too "dusty." It's camping bro, and it will be dusty. But we're going to have a blast and that's what counts.

Later.

I was talking about 2-4 inches of fine powder on the ground. My days in the Boy Scouts kind of rubbed off on me. You will hear the sound of the dual Magnaflows on my Chevy 6.0L long before I arrive.

Last edited: