Southern ontario storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockjock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there anything special I should be doing after using my saws in a storm? I was in the middle of a terrible storm and was helping some neighbours with downed trees and branches. I was soaked to the bone and so were my saws. They ran perfectly before, during, and after the storm and when I got home I took off the bar and chains and blew them out, made sure they were dry and tested so that they ran right. Today I cleaned the bars and got all the grit out of them, and treated the chains to a nice hot oil bath and then put them all back together. They still run perfectly so I am relieved. This is my first time in such a situation so I was wondering what do you all do as far as maintenance after such an event?

I'm weird I take the muffler off and wd-40 the piss out of it. Then I like to squirt a little on my bar studs but other than that dump your fuel just to be safe. Check your air filter for rips or tears some get brittle when really wet. Other than that can't think of anything.

What for do you want to dump the fuel? Just run it a few minutes to get it warm and everything should be ok. The chains and bars get enough oil to inhibit rust. If any surface rust develops it will disappear after the next usage. These tools are designed for situations like you describe. Nothing to worry about!

Here in the Northwest, I see my share of wind storm damage, so I know what you saying. You are wise to take good care of both yourself and your equipment. If neglected, either one can be costly.

I treat my equipment the same way, always cleaned, lubed & "freshened up" after use. It's all about your personal choice. The tools will usually work well without all my tinkering, polishing & fussing, but it's part of my enjoyment of the use of the tools.

My granddad taught me to properly clean & maintain tools at a very young age. A lot of his hand tools are still in excellent condition, passed down to the third generation some fifty plus years after his passing. That says a lot for quality and proper care.

What for do you want to dump the fuel? Just run it a few minutes to get it warm and everything should be ok. The chains and bars get enough oil to inhibit rust. If any surface rust develops it will disappear after the next usage. These tools are designed for situations like you describe. Nothing to worry about!

If he's storing it dumping the fuel saves his fuel line from ethanol.

I'd run it awhile after getting out of the rain, to be sure the clutch bearing was dry, and lube as possible.

Water mainly plays hell with bearings. DAMHIKT

Latest posts

Back