Southern Pine on my Parents House

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
These are some pics from 9/5/04 when Frances came thru south georgia.

Base of this pine was about 65 feet from the house. $85k of damage.

Notice the tree is clear spanning from the stump to the kitchen counter.

Another pine hit it a couple of months ago. I'll find those pics as well.

Neither of the trees were particularly big. Both around 85'-100'. Tree service took out a 135' (they measured it) when the garage was added a few years back. It was a good bit thicker than these and there are numerous others around the house that are in that range.

House was built in '71 and these are the only trees to give trouble. More later I suppose...

Chaser

Last edited:
Man that's no good. Looks like a lot of pics from down here in Gainesville FL same weekend. My parents and I lived in a house surrounded by slash, loblolly and longleaf pines for the 1st 12 years of my life and we never had one hit the house, and very few go down...sway and bend but never go.....amazing how strong and flexible they are, but Frances was REALLY bad here...but nothing compared to a Katrina or Rita thankfully

Obviously this tree just snapped at a weak spot, but there were a LOT of pecan groves that lost many trees from Frances due to the water-logged ground.

Local friend of ours lost around 1000 (one thousand) pecan trees. The ground was so wet from previous storms they just rolled up out of the ground.

I've got 23 pecan trees and pick up limbs nearly every other day just because they're so weak... But they're nice for the shade and to hear the wind blow through.

Chaser

Back