spark plug question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spydahead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How often do you change the plug just because? I have about 18+ tanks of gas thru my xpw,runs great,plug looks great,every thing is wondreful,should i leave the plug alone? or replace it?

Normally I will put a new plug in a saw I've just obtained. I've installed new ones on other saws just because. Granted I don't run my saws as much as some folks on here but I've been running saws for close to 40 years and I don't recall having a plug fail. Not saying it doesn't happen though.

My current fallin' saw is a Stihl 044 built in 1993. I am the second owner of the saw. Have had it since 2003. I've changed the plug twice. When I got it... It had the original factory plug in it.

Don't overthink or overengineer it mang... EZPZ...

Gary

Unless a plug is badly fouled or something is physically bent or broken, I keep them in service. I have replaced a couple "just because" but can't say I ever noticed an improvement just by doing so.

Most guys leave the spark plug alone. With electronic ignition and good fuel mix they last for years. If it makes you feel better to change it. Go ahead just be a little careful when tightening the plug. It is an aluminum cylinder that can strip if over tightened or not started correctly.

I change them if they quit or sometimes for troubleshooting purposes. If the plug is running ok I leave it alone. I go by the "If it ain't broke...." Plugs get blamed for a lot of things they're usually not guilty of. However, if there is no spark it's always the first thing to try.

I change mine when I first get a item, then every couple years after that, sooner if used a lot or I think there maybe a problem, My Pressure washer gets one every five years maybe, it all just depends on the use. If i used the sw a few hours a year it would be a long time before i changed it, But I do like to take them out once in a while and check them and make sure they dont freeze in the head.

I had a plug fail once, but I think it was a bad plug to begin with - I really could not see anything wrong with it, but I was getting a lot of inconsistent difficult hot starting problems which disappeared after changing it. Since that was the only change I made at that time I'm sure it was the plug. Overall though they are really reliable.

I replace spark plugs only if I suspect they might be causing a problem or if I pull them and they look bad for any reason. They are cheap enough that I try to keep some around for OPE.

Just because? Never.

Keep a spare one and i see no reason to change it if its working. You can change it with the scrench in the woods in about the same time it takes to refuel, and i don't think it can do any harm if it fails.

If you have a problem sure, because its a fast swap and doesn't cost much.

Quite often I have found the wrong plug in the old magnesium powerheads I collect. Wrong heat range or a taper seat Mac plug:( in a saw that should have a Champ. CJ6 or CJ8. The worst are the lawnmower plugs.

Typical homeowner reaction to a saw that won't start is a plug change.

Quite often I have found the wrong plug in the old magnesium powerheads I collect. Wrong heat range or a taper seat Mac plug:( in a saw that should have a Champ. CJ6 or CJ8. The worst are the lawnmower plugs.

Typical homeowner reaction to a saw that won't start is a plug change.
Then they throw it out. Then we buy it cheap, replace the fuel lines and clean the carbs and run it!

I have had plugs go bad, Not in saws but I have in quads, They just stop firing.

Latest posts

Back