spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drogueman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I bought a used husky chain saw so I decided to clean it up first before I fired it up. I removed some of the plastic and gave it a good cleaning and then reassembled everything. It already had gas in it so I started pulling,and pulling and pulling. I was about to give up but then i thought it might have bad gas in it so out with the old and in with the new. I again pulled and lost count. i pulled out the spark plug several times and it was wet with fuel so I blew it dry and even blew out the cylinder. Again it never started so just for the h%$* of it I put in a used plug and on the first pull it fired right up. My question is there a way to ohm out a spark plug or tell if a spark plug is weak. I have never had a plug go dead like this, only had them fail from oil or broken electrode . Can they be ohm out ??????:angry:

you probably could, but at the risk of speding 2 bucks or less....change it and don't think to much about it.

Chances are the saw was dropped and the electrode got cracked. I've had new in the box plugs that were bad too

the simple answer is joe schmoe woodtick can't really test a plug well, Although in theory the electrode and the nub that connects to the plug wire should have a low resistance. the shadetree mechanic way to test is put the plug in the plug wire set the metal part that you screw in on top of the cylinder and pull it over. you should see a spark.

Well I think you guys are both right, the cost is nothing and the old trick of just leaving it in the boot and pulling the rope still stands as a good test. I always try to dig a little deeper and try to figure out why this or that happened, lol. Thanks for the reply.

Scott,
Sorry but I got as far as fishing the old plug back out of the trash can. I will give it a try tomorrow and see what kind of readings i get and let you know.

I usually ground the plug to a clean part of the cylinder using a wire with alligator clips on it.

This frees up my hands and insures I get a good ground as to prevent mistakes.

I usually ground the plug to a clean part of the cylinder using a wire with alligator clips on it.

sure you can do that if you want to do it the easy way.;)

Would not a resistor spark plug with its resistor built into it (for RFI suppression) give a totally different ohm-age reading compared to a non-resistor plug? Drogueman, you did not say what model your Husky is. My 359 is my most commonly used saw. It can be a little sensitive to start if you are not familiar with it. Set the choke and push in the decompression valve. Then you pull until the engine just tries to catch. Stop right there and turn off the choke. The saw normally fires on one pull after this. If you keep pulling on the starter with the choke on after that first "burble" you will flood the saw. Keep your scrench handy and pull the plug out to dry it if you do. I had to do that more times than I would care to admit.:cheers:

Back