sparking at top cover screws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walt whitman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
got my 801 to run! runs great but strang thing is it has sparks shooting ot at all the top cover screws! they are electrical sparks, any idea what is the cause? the saw runs up fine has penty of power etc. also what sprocket and chain combo would be best. plan on using 28" cutting pine and oak downed in missippi. will also use for firewood later I am also missing the spark arrestor on the muffler any suggestions? thanks for all the help walt

My first guess would be a short somewhere in the spark plug wire or in the coil. The old poulans s25 used to zap you at the switch when the coil went bad.

Walt, I will take a guess at this one. I seem to remember that the coil for this saw is in the top cover. It needs good grounding, into the main body, to work. Possibly the screws are a little rusty/coroded and not making good connection for the coil. A good cleaning and wire brushing could solve the problem. Also be sure they are tight. Your saw may even run better if it get full voltage to the plug. Mike

Duh you said it was missing the spark arrester. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think they are on the right track I am not familiar with the saw you are talking about but it sounds like a ground issue. with saws being inherently dirty you may want to remove the coil and clean the contacts also think about why would you see the sparks on these screws? see if something is insulating the the current path it maybe rubber washers or some type of paint or maybe it is a broken wire.

Good luck

lucky

Latest posts

Back