Sparks flying off chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there isn't anything in the wood and you aren't hitting rocks, it's your cutting technique or the chain tension. Cutting technique in that you are twisting the saw and piching the chain. chain tension in that it is too lose and is twisting in the bar rail.

Whatever the cause, no matter what wood you are cutting, this is not normal.

Sparks are normal, there's nothing wrong with your chain or bar. Think about it. A metal chain is spinning around a metal bar at an extremely high rate of speed, it's going to produce sparks. In low lighting you would be amazed at the amount of sparks flying off the bar and chain.

Last edited:
"Sparks are normal, there's nothing wrong with your chain or bar. Think about it. A metal chain is spinning around a metal bar at an extremely high rate of speed, it's going to produce sparks. In low lighting you would be amazed at the amount of sparks flying off the bar and chain."

I don't think so.

"If there isn't anything in the wood and you aren't hitting rocks, it's your cutting technique or the chain tension. Cutting technique in that you are twisting the saw and piching the chain. chain tension in that it is too lose and is twisting in the bar rail.

Whatever the cause, no matter what wood you are cutting, this is not normal."

This is most likely the reason.

"Sparks are normal, there's nothing wrong with your chain or bar. Think about it. A metal chain is spinning around a metal bar at an extremely high rate of speed, it's going to produce sparks. In low lighting you would be amazed at the amount of sparks flying off the bar and chain."

I don't think so.

"If there isn't anything in the wood and you aren't hitting rocks, it's your cutting technique or the chain tension. Cutting technique in that you are twisting the saw and piching the chain. chain tension in that it is too lose and is twisting in the bar rail.

Whatever the cause, no matter what wood you are cutting, this is not normal."

This is most likely the reason.

Sorry but you're wrong. You have a lack of understanding of how a chain works when it goes around the bar.

hickslawns if you're cutting brush close to the ground you'd be better off with a hard nosed bar.

As to the sparks I'm speculating that the chain came off and one of more of the drive teeth are crooked....they can be filed down.

In the future save you oldest chains for brush work/stumps and don't be surprised if you have to tighten 'em every 10 minutes of use or so.

When you're constantly using the saw tip in a horizontal application, like in cutting brush close to the ground ...it's a high maintenance situation for the chain. Nothing wrong with doing it that way as long as you know what to expect.

Last edited:
Sorry but you're wrong. You have a lack of understanding of how a chain works when it goes around the bar.

Does it spark at night without cutting anything? NO

Does it spark at night when an experienced cutter cuts wood? NOT USUALLY

Many people have been cutting incorrectly all of their lives. Per haps you are one of them. If you put pressure side torque on the bar because you can't cut straight then the chain will grind down the bar and make it rough... and make sparks. Apparently you have a lack of skill when it comes to cutting correctly.

Does it spark at night without cutting anything? NO

Does it spark at night when an experienced cutter cuts wood? NOT USUALLY

Many people have been cutting incorrectly all of their lives. Per haps you are one of them. If you put pressure side torque on the bar because you can't cut straight then the chain will grind down the bar and make it rough... and make sparks. Apparently you have a lack of skill when it comes to cutting correctly.

As the chain travels around the axis points the bar the chain's centrifugal force causes the chain ark and come off the bar. When the chain comes back into contact with the bar, it does so very violently, this can and almost always creates a spark. And yes if the chain is too loose, this effect is intensified, but you cannot stop this from occurring.

Now did you come to this form to learn something or argue?lol

Last edited:
"ark" ?

Is that anything like Noah's Ark?

Take your saw out at night with the chain properly tightened to the bar and run it. If the bar and the chain are in good shape you might see a spark or two. But I am not talking about that. I am speaking of people who do not cut right. I do not know if you are one of these, but you wil be able to tell if you cut in the dark (just be careful) as improper alignment of the bar to the log (your part) will produce lots of sparks. I am familiar with how a chain behaves when cutting or running. I also know that most people shorten the life of a bar and chain because they started cutting a certain way (which may be crooked) and they continue to cut this way.

I cam here to learn and teach.

I frequently see sparks cutting osage orange, but they go away with most other woods without any improvement in my technique, adjusting the chain, adding oil, replacing the bar tip, etc. I say it was osage orange or a similar wood. Did it stop when you got to the nice, soft oak?

I see sparks all the time cutting cherry at night. Blue sparks and enough of them I thought I had a problem. So I sank the bar in a chunk of fir. No sparks. No sparks when cutting hemlock, maple or alder either.

"Ark, arch, ok I'll give you that one."

Thanks for the reply. Maybe others can offer some comments about the sparking chain.

No problems with other woods. Just this one type of wood. I don't think it is technique, but I am not claiming to be an expert. I have gone thru a dozen chains in the last 11 years, but still have the original bar on my 029. I would think if I was cutting without the chain properly tensioned, or not oiling properly, or repeatedly hitting the dirt, I would have had more problems over the years. I probably would not be on the same bar either. I was using my little Stihl which is fairly new when this occurred. I then tried with 2 other saws which I have had for awhile with the same results. I suppose I could just be crazy or ignorant, but I don't think so. I will admit I am plenty goofy though.:dizzy:

It really could be anything,but it is not really abnormal. I have cut some that sparked only to find out that the tree was used as a fence post many many years ago. Would never know it without any barbed wire around.sometimes you can hit a crotch or knot that is rock hard. Does it spark when you block the tree of just cut it down?It could be the way you are holding the saw too

No problems with other woods. Just this one type of wood. I don't think it is technique, but I am not claiming to be an expert. I have gone thru a dozen chains in the last 11 years, but still have the original bar on my 029. I would think if I was cutting without the chain properly tensioned, or not oiling properly, or repeatedly hitting the dirt, I would have had more problems over the years. I probably would not be on the same bar either. I was using my little Stihl which is fairly new when this occurred. I then tried with 2 other saws which I have had for awhile with the same results. I suppose I could just be crazy or ignorant, but I don't think so. I will admit I am plenty goofy though.:dizzy:

I've been waiting to say this ... I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the wood causing the chain to throw spaks.

Latest posts

Back