Speaking of Dealers - Read this strategic vision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(I work in Home Depot. Sad to say, but the only customers we get are the ones that don't know better, ha ha)

Surely you can't be serious. I'm a "moron" here, but you work at Home Depot? Priceless.

There is nothing wrong with Home Depot that a little more pre-employment screening (and a pay raise) can't solve. After all, the customers are only as smart as the advice they might get from the employees there. No different than Walmart or any other 'big box' store, really.

coveredinsap said:
Surely you can't be serious. I'm a "moron" here, but you work at Home Depot? Priceless.

There is nothing wrong with Home Depot that a little more pre-employment screening (and a pay raise) can't solve. After all, the customers are only as smart as the advice they might get from the employees there. No different than Walmart or any other 'big box' store, really.
Yup, I'm part time while I'm going to college double majoring in Math and English with a merit based scholarship and a 3.5 GPA in addition to working as a tutor/grader for the Math department. What other narrowly-based assessments do you have?

Yup, I'm part time while I'm going to college double majoring in Math and English with a merit based scholarship and a 3.5 GPA in addition to working as a tutor/grader for the Math department. What other narrowly-based assessments do you have?

None that wouldn't be assuaged by photocopies of your school grades for the last 4 semesters.

coveredinsap said:
None that wouldn't be assuaged by photocopies of your school grades for the last 4 semesters.
So, it's my job to go around preventing you from making a fool of yourself? lol F'off dimwit!!

spacemule said:
The mule works at Home Depot. See , there we go . There are smart people that work at Home Depot. merit based scholarship, 3.5 GPA and all .

Last edited:
this is pathetic coveredinsap has not contributed a single useful statement since he joined AS and has really done nothing but fire up the whole site and tell some of the most knowledgeable and respected technitions and dealers on this site they are wrong having said this I request coveredinsap to be banned from AS possibly the shortest lived member ship ever

Does any one else agree?

Freedom of speech I respect even if I don't like it. coveredinsap may be a pain but so what we can all laugh at it right. I made up my mind at the rifle insult, and aimed at a Bushmaster at that, talk about ignorant!

stihlfarmer said:
this is pathetic coveredinsap has not contributed a single useful statement since he joined AS and has really done nothing but fire up the whole site and tell some of the most knowledgeable and respected technitions and dealers on this site they are wrong having said this I request coveredinsap to be banned from AS possibly the shortest lived member ship ever

Does any one else agree?
Yeah , like that statment really helped out on the thread , sit down ! Anywho , back to the topic once derailed again ..... I think the small dealer has to have the service to keep the upper hand on the market . Knowing his buyer by name really helps too . People like to be a name and not a cow at the check out line . On some items that is #1 with people , but there again to what the H Depot store and lowes ect . offers is not always dealer items keeps there business going . Then they throw in the chainsaw for sale , offer this and that next thing you know it like Walmart and its one stop shopping. Here is a little story i just found out about today . About 1 month ago the Case tractor dealer just go on board with Husqvarna and started selling there line of chainsaws .........good deal , talked to the manager and he said he was going to go full run with this and offer the full line , service , parts ect and he just had a handfull of saws in right now. Stoped in today and the store/showroom is getting filled up Husqvarna items , looked around and went on my way as i just stopped in to take a look-c . I had to pick up some O/A welding wire and my local welding / steel supply dealer was closed today so i stoped in the TSC ( tractor supply farm store ) and as i was at the check out i looked over and Oh , $hit .....Husqvarna chainsaws ! Now this week the TSC stores are now offering half the line of Husky chainsaws , power boxes , chaps , oil/gas caps , helmets , bars, chains , files ...ect...ect.. The TSC store started selling this stuff 2 weeks right after we finally got a Husqvarna dealer. and O'yes ...the chainsaws TSC has are selling for 80% of the dealers price. I guess well see how this one turns out.

Box stores

Ok here is my .02
I am a teacher but that doesn’t always pay the bills. Sometimes I work weekends at my local Home Depot. I work in the lumber yard mostly but I will do what ever I am told. It really helps out because I get a nice discount on everything I buy. I have noticed that people do buy tools one week and return them a week later. You can tell they used them for a project and returned them for a return. It is cheaper than renting something and I guess it doesn’t bother people. I have also noticed that a lot of people are misinformed. People come in and say things like, "Ryobi is a great brand name I will get it" That used to be true of Ryobi but I think their current products are poor quality.
Home Depot does sell Echo and Honda. I know that one of the managers, in lawn and garden, at our store tells customers that Echo and Honda products are the cheapest in the long run. He even used to tell people buy the best you can afford because you will not get quality repair service here. I am told that many customers responded well to that honesty. However, he got in a lot of trouble for telling that to people.

I think that many of the people who buy at box stores are too lazy to maintain their equipment. They would rather buy cheap stuff every few years rather than invest the money in buying and maintaining a quality product.
Just my .02
Rob

Yes, I have bought stuff from box stores also. Before I knew better I bought a weedeater from Wal-Mart. It was a little 22cc model for like 59 dollars. I always thought it was ok until I used my neighbors 22cc Echo. After using a quality product I learned it was worth spending the extra money.

sort of

shalx said:
Freedom of speech I respect even if I don't like it. coveredinsap may be a pain but so what we can all laugh at it right. I made up my mind at the rifle insult, and aimed at a Bushmaster at that, talk about ignorant!
If you didn't know there was something up with what he was about to say when he said "sort of" (inability to make a decision and stay with it) then went to this maybe my last post only to continue posting, you missed it early on.
Then after he was given the proper info on how to resolve the problem, he goes on a rant for days. Would he be someone you'd hire? Most of us know how to get over it, fix a problem and continue on with life. He, sort of, doesn't. He does know how to rant and that IMHO was the plan, find a place to rant. His problem fixxed by buying a different saw, he spews into a rant that to this day he "sort of" can't get over it. One thread was not enough to rant, he coutinues on and on adnausium. Place your finger on the ignore button and click, he's gone along with his rants.

I have noticed that people do buy tools one week and return them a week later. You can tell they used them for a project and returned them for a return. It is cheaper than renting something and I guess it doesn’t bother people.

Yes, some people do this, even though it is wrong. There are always those that think the world owes them a living...but maybe that harkens back to plain ol' bad parenting (and a topic for a different discussion).

As a professional carpenter, I like Ryobi tools. Inexpensive, and reliable enough to do the job long enough to more than pay for themselves many times over.
You see, I use to buy the best tools possible...until two things happened. The first being that almost all tools ended up being made in the same place (Japan or China) regardless of manufacturer.
The second being the realization that while on the jobsite your tools have a tendency to get used by others all the time ....others who treat them with a lot less care and respect then the guy who bought them does....thrashing them in the process. (And there is no way of getting around letting others use your stuff, either, as there inevitably comes a time when you yourself will need to borrow a tool from someone else.) Anyways, Ryobi tools tend to hold up to such thrashings as good as any, and better than most...for a hell of a lot less money. Simple economics, really.

If you didn't know there was something up with what he was about to say when he said "sort of" (inability to make a decision and stay with it) then went to this maybe my last post only to continue posting, you missed it early on.
Then after he was given the proper info on how to resolve the problem, he goes on a rant for days. Would he be someone you'd hire? Most of us know how to get over it, fix a problem and continue on with life. He, sort of, doesn't. He does know how to rant and that IMHO was the plan, find a place to rant. His problem fixxed by buying a different saw, he spews into a rant that to this day he "sort of" can't get over it. One thread was not enough to rant, he coutinues on and on adnausium. Place your finger on the ignore button and click, he's gone along with his rants.

Man, some of you guys really can't get over the fact that Stihl choked, can you?
The 'may be my first and last post' was in reference to the subject matter (defective saw, defective dealer) and how it would be received. For all I knew the post could have been deleted immediately and me banned immediately....which sounds like what some here would have preferred, actually.

I see 'rants' around here all the time against everyone but Stihl...and nobody seems to have a problem with those 'rants'. What's the matter...you can dish it out but can't take it? Because that certainly seems to be the case.

My mistake...I thought this forum was about chainsaws...all chainsaws. Not just a Stihl forum exclusively for Stihl fanboys.

coveredinsap said:
Man, some of you guys really can't get over the fact that Stihl choked, can you?
The 'may be my first and last post' was in reference to the subject matter (defective saw, defective dealer) and how it would be received. For all I knew the post could have been deleted immediately and me banned immediately....which sounds like what some here would have preferred, actually.

I see 'rants' around here all the time against everyone but Stihl...and nobody seems to have a problem with those 'rants'. What's the matter...you can dish it out but can't take it? Because that certainly seems to be the case.

My mistake...I thought this forum was about chainsaws...all chainsaws. Not just a Stihl forum exclusively for Stihl fanboys.

For one thing, no one can see where "Stihl choked" ONE DEALER did IF we believe your story and that is becoming more and more dubious. To blame a very respected manufacturer for the fault of a dealer is the lowest of the low.

Harry K

For one thing, no one can see where "Stihl choked" ONE DEALER did IF we believe your story and that is becoming more and more dubious.

The only thing apparently "becomming more and more dubious" is some people's ability to comprehend things they don't particularly care to believe. What do you require to believe it happened? You've seen the photo of the cracked MS390 Stihl, the Homelite 45cc it attempted to replace, the Alaskan Small Log Mill, and the Husky 455 Rancher that ended up doing the job.

Do you want to see a photocopy of the original Stihl invoice, along with the 'return' invoice? ...Because I can easily provide that if it will help you come to terms with your disbelief.

coveredinsap said:
The only thing apparently "becomming more and more dubious" is some people's ability to comprehend things they don't particularly care to believe. What do you require to believe it happened? You've seen the photo of the cracked MS390 Stihl, the Homelite 45cc it attempted to replace, the Alaskan Small Log Mill, and the Husky 455 Rancher that ended up doing the job.

Do you want to see a photocopy of the original Stihl invoice, along with the 'return' invoice? ...Because I can easily provide that if it will help you come to terms with your disbelief.

I see you're still seeking attention. No body doubts you took a saw back...

Different thread, same old horse apples... Still beating that horse???? :deadhorse:

I see you're still seeking attention. No body doubts you took a saw back...

Different thread, same old horse apples... Still beating that horse????

If you Stihl buds stop bringing it up to cast aspersions every time I post, then I won't have to respond each time, now will I.

coveredinsap said:
If you Stihl buds stop bringing it up to cast aspersions every time I post, then I won't have to respond each time, now will I.

Coverdinsap, I believe the sap has really started to affect your brain.

you have the right to be disappointed about the apparent louzy Stihl dealer you encountered for buying that homeowner 039 saw, but your constant slamming of the Stihl brand is getting irritating. One does not become one of world's leading chainsaw manufactering by selling bad products, or through bad dealership. Many professionals on this forum know that from experience, and they don't need a newby like you to tell otherwise.

Reading through your posts, the more I get convinced that the dealer you described may be not the problem after all. Maybe the problem was you ?

Go and mill that tree. :censored:

Latest posts

Back