Speaking of Dealers - Read this strategic vision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326 said:
Space its not the attitude you dont like, its the truth I'm saying. Why should I take back something I sold to a customer based on exactly what he told me. Now if hew refuses to buy it I can't force him but if he buys a lesser saw than he needs and comes back boo hooing it wont do the job, like I told him in the first place, what am I suppose to do?
It's called customer service. And yes, it is your attitude that I don't like--like every customer is trying to rip you off or you are trying to blame him for any problem which may arise. If you don't want to take a return, that's one thing, but you seem as if you are an ass about it.

spacemule said:
It's called customer service. And yes, it is your attitude that I don't like--like every customer is trying to rip you off or you are trying to blame him for any problem which may arise. If you don't want to take a return, that's one thing, but you seem as if you are an ass about it.

Space you have a habit of ignoring the whole issue. Your getting bent out of shape because I'm not going to take back something based on what YOU, the customer told me you needed. Now if you won't spend the cash for what you need and go with something that I tell you won't do the job then your saying I'm suppose to ignore what I told you in the first place and just take back what I told you not to buy. I don't think so...................

Here is a good dealer story, years ago in '88 I bought a 038 mag2 from the dealer where I lived, then I went a few hundred miles away to cut down trees on a transmission line. Soon the on/off/choke switch broke and it was a major pita to start the saw (other than that a good saw). My boss and I came back one weekend, watched peelers in the bar, had a few and drove to the dealer, my boss grabbed my saw, walking into the store and banged the saw on the counter in front of all the customers and said in a loud voice "why did you sell my guy this pos?" The guy didn't say much he walked over to the new saws grabbed one took it to the bench and changed the parts right then and there, "here ya go" This guy ended up getting his own store and is a Stihl/Husky/yard equip dealer, I have bought lots of stuff of him over the years. I think he would have treated Coverd in Sh3t better to begin with but then heaved his sorry ass right out the door as soon as he clued into what a whiner he was dealing with. You guys knock it off, Thall and Lakeside are good guys, quit it.

THALL10326 said:
Space you have a habit of ignoring the whole issue. Your getting bent out of shape because I'm not going to take back something based on what YOU, the customer told me you needed. .
No, reread my posts. I am not bent out of shape--I simply would not do business with you. Again, down to this post, you're blaming the customer. That is one of the most irritating traits imaginable in a salesperson. It is not about whose fault it is, it is about whether an honest customer is not happy with a saw.

Let me give you a story to illustrate. I once went into a restaurant, and ordered a meal. When it came, it did not have the drink that I ordered, or may have ordered, as that's what is in question. So, I told the waitress that I needed a drink. Her response was, "You didn't order a drink."

"Yes mam, but I want one."

"But you didn't order a drink."

"Forget whether I ????ing ordered a drink or not, I want one."

"I don't care, it says right here you didn't order a drink."

Get the idea?

Rspike said:
Just to confurm for the thread Thall ......Your a Stihl dealer right ?
Rpike your correct, Stihl dealer I am and a damn good one too. Fact is I've yet to ever have a customer bring back a saw, trimmer or any Stihl for that matter complaining it won't do the job. Reason for that is I ask alot of questions before they buy. I steer them to what they need, not what I want to sell them. The very worst thing anyone can do is sell for the sake of selling. Now let me ask you something my friend, can your computor screen do that for you don't deal at dealers at all. You research your product and buy online and thats cool. Have you ever tried to send one back merely because you didn't like it????

Rspike said:
Do like Lakeside stated , make the buyer happy , he tells all his friends about the great dealer he has , the buyer ends up on AS with a great story of "his dealer" and how great of a guy he is and a pro at doing his job . The final ? you might have 6 more buyers walking in your door as well as the first guy happy .

Seeing everyone is quoting me... I said "Often"... (underlined) and it all depends on the attitude of the customer.... I'm not a push-over-HD-sales-guy who's been told "to take it back no matter what, so they mostly know better then to come in with an attitude... and if they do, they often end up with second saw instead of an "upgrade". Thank god it's only a 7 day policy, which we stretch from time to time...:D but yes, generally (or should I say "often"?) I try to keep everyone happy..

spacemule said:
No, reread my posts. I am not bent out of shape--I simply would not do business with you. Again, down to this post, you're blaming the customer. That is one of the most irritating traits imaginable in a salesperson. It is not about whose fault it is, it is about whether an honest customer is not happy with a saw.

Let me give you a story to illustrate. I once went into a restaurant, and ordered a meal. When it came, it did not have the drink that I ordered, or may have ordered, as that's what is in question. So, I told the waitress that I needed a drink. Her response was, "You didn't order a drink."

"Yes mam, but I want one."

"But you didn't order a drink."

"Forget whether I ????ing ordered a drink or not, I want one."

"I don't care, it says right here you didn't order a drink."

Get the idea?

haha, Space your still twisting the equation. You walk in and tell me what you need and I sell it to you. I'm not gonna let you walk in and forget to tell me what you need because I'm going to ask you. You may forget to ask for a drink but if I'm selling you something I'm going to find out what you need, your not gonna be able to forget cause I'm gonna ask ya. Space you would love doing business with me, trust me...........

THALL10326 said:
Rpike your correct, Stihl dealer I am and a damn good one too. Fact is I've yet to ever have a customer bring back a saw, trimmer or any Stihl for that matter complaining it won't do the job. Reason for that is I ask alot of questions before they buy. I steer them to what they need, not what I want to sell them. The very worst thing anyone can do is sell for the sake of selling. Now let me ask you something my friend, can your computor screen do that for you don't deal at dealers at all. You research your product and buy online and thats cool. Have you ever tried to send one back merely because you didn't like it????
Nope , I have never sent any thing back because i didnt like it. at worst i might resell it over the net or local but never back to the shop/store/seller i got it. I',m not stupid but i guess i never heard of people buying something, working it for 30 days and taking it back just to not have to rent or buy the item. It makes sence to me but that is just low-life . I'm different , I'm with the group ......... "the one who dies with the mosts toys wins ." I love to save a buck ot two and go to great effort to research the items i buy but I'm not in the tight-@$$ group. " You get what you pay for" is my running line . I owned craftsman chainsaws and poulan saws years ago and worked out very well for the small fireplace i owned years ago in a different house , cut a little , burn a little . Now that i have a new wood stove i heet the whole house with 100% I went from less expencive chainsaws to the big boys . Cutting 1 cord and some tree trimming a year with a fireplace to now a wood stove cutting 6 cords for myself and 4 for my mom and dad that are in there 80's now . Had to upgrade the power and the quality.

Rspike said:
Nope , I have never sent any thing back because i didnt like it. at worst i might resell it over the net or local but never back to the shop/store/seller i got it. I',m not stupid but i guess i never heard of people buying something, working it for 30 days and taking it back just to not have to rent or buy the item. It makes sence to me but that is just low-life . I'm different , I'm with the group ......... "the one who dies with the mosts toys wins ." I love to save a buck ot two and go to great effort to research the items i buy but I'm not in the tight-@$$ group. " You get what you pay for" is my running line . I owned craftsman chainsaws and poulan saws years ago and worked out very well for the small fireplace i owned years ago in a different house , cut a little , burn a little . Now that i have a new wood stove i heet the whole house with 100% I went from less expencive chainsaws to the big boys . Cutting 1 cord and some tree trimming a year with a fireplace to now a wood stove cutting 6 cords for myself and 4 for my mom and dad that are in there 80's now . Had to upgrade the power and the quality.

Well you done your reseach well and good for you. I done my research well too and I sell based on what the customer tells me he's going to be doing with the product. I've had many customers tell me what they're going to use the product for and refuse to pay for the product they really need. They go for price sometime but whenever they do I inform them upfront and on the spot the product will not do what they want it to do. They still buy the product based on price and if they are unhappy with it they never let me know cause I've yet to have one come back complaining. Maybe they know what I'm gonna tell them if they do, I don't know. I got one customer who is a favorite of mine. He has 2000 acres of fence line and he's using 199.95 FS55 trimmers to cut all that fence line. He was told upfront they weren't going to hold up under all that cutting. He brings them back over and over for repairs but he never says he wasn't told so. He's never asked can we take them back. Its just common sense to get what ya need to do the job the first time, especailly when your told upfront and on the spot before you buy it. Kinda like when ya moma tells ya the hot stove will burn your hand kid. If the kid lays his hand on the stove and gets burnt its his fault, not his moma's............

I might have a problem selling a larger saw and accepting a return for a smaller saw. Simply because tree-work takes two saws.

Another thing to consider is I highly doubt you can buy the same saws a dealer will sell you at the box store.

So we have two different markets already. If I own a landscaping outfit, I am eager to buy things as few times as possible. Not only that - me not personally using the equipment forces me to go high quality.

I think 8,000 reasons were given last month as to why Stihl dealers aint going anywhere. And if I run a landscaping outfit Stihl would lose my business the day they lost the dealers.

It's that simple. :sucks:

spacemule said:
Only a fool would extrapolate your assertions from your claimed experience. Face it, the only idiots who are going to listen to you now are the ones who already agree with you. You've already conclusively demonstrated that your only purpose posting here is to inflict financial damage to a company who's had none of your business. You're an annal-retentive ********** who hasn't anything better to do than whine to any fool dumb enough to validate your sorry excuse for a bag-of-???? face. Did I make my words succinct enough for you?

Now there is a blown gasket. BTW if I order a gasket from the non union home depot who got rid of all their pro-skilled help would the non skilled help be able to help me and get the part or would I have to go see a dealer. Hmmmm I might as well gone to the dealer in the first place. He can probably tell me more about the product and service me too.

I think that is what Thall is trying to tell you further down in this thread, as well that he tried to service the guy but through no fault of his the guy picked a saw that would not do the job. Now he wants Thall to pay for his mistake. Maybe he should have listened or gone to a box store and get the minimum service he deserves.

stihlatit said:
Now there is a blown gasket. BTW if I order a gasket from the non union home depot who got rid of all their pro-skilled help would the non skilled help be able to help me and get the part or would I have to go see a dealer. Hmmmm I might as well gone to the dealer in the first place. He can probably tell me more about the product and service me too.

I think that is what Thall is trying to tell you further down in this thread, as well that he tried to service the guy but through no fault of his the guy picked a saw that would not do the job. Now he wants Thall to pay for his mistake. Maybe he should have listened or gone to a box store and get the minimum service he deserves.

Awwwwwww no point in Stihlatit. Space and Spike know full well exactly what I'm saying. The best customer service of all is asking what they need and what they intend to do with the product before they buy it. Now if they won't buy what they really need because of pennies out the pocket and insist on something less I always let them know full well what to expect. I myself am not going in my own pocket to pay for something the customer was to tight to buy in the first place. There is customer service and then there is pure stupidity. If I have to take back what they were told not to buy in the first place then hell I may as well buy them the product they really needed, tant gonna happen. I know its illeagal to speed but even so I want the officer to pay for the ticket he gave me,hahaha, bout the same deal as taking back stuff after ya told em not to buy it in the first place...........

stihlatit said:

As usual Arnie, you would manage to miss the point if I used a nail and hammer. But that's ok--I realize Canadians can't help it. ;)

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwww no point in Stihlatit. Space and Spike know full well exactly what I'm saying. The best customer service of all is asking what they need and what they intend to do with the product before they buy it. Now if they won't buy what they really need because of pennies out the pocket and insist on something less I always let them know full well what to expect. I myself am not going in my own pocket to pay for something the customer was to tight to buy in the first place. There is customer service and then there is pure stupidity. If I have to take back what they were told not to buy in the first place then hell I may as well buy them the product they really needed, tant gonna happen. I know its illeagal to speed but even so I want the officer to pay for the ticket he gave me,hahaha, bout the same deal as taking back stuff after ya told em not to buy it in the first place...........
Thall, we're talking about two different situations here.

spacemule said:
Thall, we're talking about two different situations here.

ok Space you be the customer. State your situation and I'll reply. Maybe I'm missing something your implieing, lay it on me.............

Would love to Thal, but I'm going to hit the sack. Spring break is over, and I've got a long day tomorrow. Night.

Back