Speaking of Dealers - Read this strategic vision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
since we're talking tools.........

.......general consensus is:

...hitachi coil nailer, strip framing nailer, & big finish gun.

...senco small finish gun & brad nailer.

...porter cable crown stapler.

...paslode airless finish nailer.

...and believe it or not, craftman is their choice in cordless drills.

these are what the guys like, so i make d**m sure they've got 'em.

and thall, don't think i'd ever have a problem buying these tools from you.......ya sound like a pretty straight shooter to me.

coveredinsap said:
To quote a line from a movie:

"Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!!"

Well now hold up there abit Sap. I just check my fancy Sears shirt and its made in China. I checked my Hanes drawers and they is made in some dayumm pace I can't even say the word. Wait a minute, dayummmmmmmm you be right,haha.

cord arrow said:
.......general consensus is:

...hitachi coil nailer, strip framing nailer, & big finish gun.

...senco small finish gun & brad nailer.

...porter cable crown stapler.

...paslode airless finish nailer.

...and believe it or not, craftman is their choice in cordless drills.

these are what the guys like, so i make d**m sure they've got 'em.

and thall, don't think i'd ever have a problem buying these tools from you.......ya sound like a pretty straight shooter to me.

Dayumm sounds like you do some serious building with that many air guns. Writing your name in my little black book I call The Tool Rack,haha. That paslode is one fancy gun for sure.................

senco has a devoted following. i've got some of those old tanks myself, finish nailers mostly, have never needed a thing. the new ones, i dunno. but the guys that like 'em don't seem to like much else. bought a new senco finish pro 18, not their top of the line but a good one, at auction for a great price, traded a guy for hitachi's top of the line small finish nailer AND a barely used hitachi strip framing nailer. i'm walkin' away shakin' my head. figured i copped about $300 on that deal.

dude's walking away smilin'. everything's cool, i guess. still, i wanted to grab him & shake him. what ARE you thinking???

oh yeah, the paslode's sweet, but i've gotta keep it hidden. these guys would use it exclusively if i had, like, two truckloads of chargers, just to keep from carrying in a 40 lb. compressor. they are not cheap to operate. but, the handiest thing on earth for call-backs and such.

cord arrow said:
oh yeah, the paslode's sweet, but i've gotta keep it hidden. these guys would use it exclusively if i had, like, two truckloads of chargers, just to keep from carrying in a 40 lb. compressor. they are not cheap to operate. but, the handiest thing on earth for call-backs and such.

I hear alot of carpenters swear by paslode's. I don't know all that much about them, as to how they work and all, but they sure seem to be on every truck we see coming in. Not dragging that air hose has gotta be a big plus.............

oh yeah. paslode was the original cadillac of air tools. when i started out, all i wanted was to be able to get paslode tools for the crew. QUITE a while ago. the playing field has evened out now, still, a premier name. and, if you have a tool that's acting up, no matter what the manufacturer, buy paslode fasteners and it'll go fine. paslode's fasteners are what all other's all gauged by.

not saying that's what i buy, but sometimes. carl has an old senco finish nailer and won't use anything else or "I'LL QUIT", so i buy 'em for his old gun. nice guy that i am and all..............

Lakeside53 said:
I've got 5 paslodes, including one roofing nailer that has about 100,000 nails though it...

Love the Hitachi line too...

Dayummmmmmmmm Lake, you got 5, thats alotta mul la there. You do carpenter work on top of chain saws, class act my friend, your a jack of all trades it seems. I can't build squat.............

coveredinsap said:
So ...what you're saying is that they already 'know' that Milwaukee tools are now made in Mexico, and that Dewalt is actually rebadged upscale Black and Decker also made in Mexico and/or China?

Tell them to read the itty-bitty fine print ...you know....the really small stuff, on the label of the tools. Check it out, then tell me how they now differ from Ryobi, exactly?

Hmmm, still dripping in sap?

Forget the "fine print" - it has nothing to do with tool quality.

I bought B&D when they were B&D professional and had just bought ELU (Swiss). Great stuff, and I still ahave it. Now, because of marketing decisions, its not a lot better than Ryobi.

Apart from national pride and erosion of the American work force (which are inportant), it doesn't matter a damn where anything is made - what matters is WHO sets the design and manufacturing standards, and who performs the quality control... Don't kid yourself that it has to be Made in the USA to be high quality. Any country can make junk - and any county can make top quality.

Obviously you haven't worked your Ryobi's to death (a very short time..), torn them down and looked at what fails... I'm a Hitachi and Makita guy myself, I pay a premium for them (and there are many other great brands) and I wear those out, but it takes years of what some might call abuse... and dang it all, they are repairable...

THALL10326 said:
Dayummmmmmmmm Lake, you got 5, thats alotta mul la there. You do carpenter work on top of chain saws, class act my friend, your a jack of all trades it seems. I can't build squat.............

Ha, that's just the Paslode's, you should see the rest!!! Yep... I build as well, and do CAD design and.... Problem with being a contractor is that you'll never pay anyone to do the work for you...

cord arrow said:
oh yeah. paslode was the original cadillac of air tools. when i started out, all i wanted was to be able to get paslode tools for the crew. QUITE a while ago. the playing field has evened out now, still, a premier name. and, if you have a tool that's acting up, no matter what the manufacturer, buy paslode fasteners and it'll go fine. paslode's fasteners are what all other's all gauged by.

not saying that's what i buy, but sometimes. carl has an old senco finish nailer and won't use anything else or "I'LL QUIT", so i buy 'em for his old gun. nice guy that i am and all..............

You are so right... nothing beats the paper collated paslode fasteners... had more gun jams from buying HD "whatever brand" nails than I can count, and then I stuck with 5000 of them... grrrr...

I bought a $600 . drill press , brand name ....JET . I was shocked when it said "made in China" At least the motor is UL listed. Normally UL and China are never on the same product.

Lakeside53 said:
Ha, that's just the Paslode's, you should see the rest!!! Yep... I build as well, and do CAD design and.... Problem with being a contractor is that you'll never pay anyone to do the work for you...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr must be nice. I built my ole shed for my saws and utter stuff and my gun was a Eswing 20oz hammer and sore arm,haha. Ole shed is still standing though, only got about 400 bent nails in it,haha

lake, that's so true. i've got a chinese roofing nailer, i think it was like $69 at the habour freight store, cobby looking, casting flashes all over it, hard to load, but the d**m thing is indestructible. they always give it to the new guy, it's been through a lot of new guys. used it last week at home (funny how i own the joint but never get to touch anything i paid top dollar for) and it pounded the cheap chinese roofing nails all weekend and never batted an eye.

THALL10326 said:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr must be nice. I built my ole shed for my saws and utter stuff and my gun was a Eswing 20oz hammer and sore arm,haha. Ole shed is still standing though, only got about 400 bent nails in it,haha

If you're talking about the Eswing with the steel shaft, that's why your arm hurts... I HATE that damn hammer... and gave mine away.. Try the HART "Woody", a real hammer...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pr...-4139037-8145547?_encoding=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi

Now we are talkng tools instead of talking to a tool, I like B&D 81/4 super sawcats and the Makita 71/4 saws. I shot myself through two fingers with an old Paslode framing houses years ago, hurt like hell, couldn't pull it out, had to go to the hospital with the 2x4.....live and learn. I have used Estwing 28oz. hammers for concrete form work on and off for years, if you are going to be framing, no good. Other good names are Hilti and Kango, these tools really put out. And the Stihl cutoff saws, great.

Obviously you haven't worked your Ryobi's to death (a very short time..), torn them down and looked at what fails... I'm a Hitachi and Makita guy myself, I pay a premium for them (and there are many other great brands) and I wear those out, but it takes years of what some might call abuse... and dang it all, they are repairable...

Obviously you are, er....mistaken...again. Makita started turning to crap in the mid 1990's. Their cordless drills were the best in the late 1980's.....but now they're also living on past reputation. Hitachi has always been a decent brand. I've had and used just about every brand there is at one time or another....Bosch, whatever....you name it. If you run them hard enough, they all only vary by degrees in longevity. Ryobi is inexpensive, and their tools can generally take a beating and keep on ticking along with the best of them. Believe it or not.

And like chainsaws, you can get lemons from any manufacturer.

clearance said:
Now we are talkng tools instead of talking to a tool, I like B&D 81/4 super sawcats and the Makita 71/4 saws. I shot myself through two fingers with an old Paslode framing houses years ago, hurt like hell, couldn't pull it out, had to go to the hospital with the 2x4.....live and learn. I have used Estwing 28oz. hammers for concrete form work on and off for years, if you are going to be framing, no good. Other good names are Hilti and Kango, these tools really put out. And the Stihl cutoff saws, great.

Ouch....

Shot myself with a "hair-trigger" Senco stapler... 2 inch construction staple, went between all tendons and bone.. pulled it out... A little shock, but in an hour or so I was back at it... Damn lucky... only time in 15 years. Need to change that "bump" to sequential trigger, but...

I keep telling myself that when my old Makita NB 7 1/4 finally won't cut straight, I buy a new Makita... but after 20 years, it's still going... and has it had a lot of work... Bounced off innumerable roofs too...

Latest posts

Back