Speaking of firewood...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...my “in-house” supply is dwindling. I’ve just about gone through all the oak I moved in the house last fall… just a pile about waist high left. And maybe… maybe a cord of mixed elm/ash stacked in the old coal storage room. We went through a ton of oak in January/February… certainly more than I expected, over three cord. The mid-February warm-up is a bit late coming this year, been below zero the past few mornings… but maybe after this storm passes we’ll start seeing some glimpses of spring. I was hoping there’d be no need to move more in the house this year, but it looks like sometime mid-to-late March I’m gonna’ haf’ta.

Appears this will end up being a 7-8 cord heating season for me… how ‘bout y’all?

i packed 42 face cords in the cellar, not sure how much ive gone through, but i sure aint gonna run out.

Funny you mention that. I am going to haul a trailer load or two in today. I use a old wood/coal room in the cellar, next to where the furnace is. Just about empty. Want to get more in before it snows or rains again. We don't get as much cold weather as you, or should say as cold. Been in the teens last few days and windy, always seems to be windy lately.:mad:

I figured I have gone through 2 1/2 - 3 cord since Nov. All Ash. Only have 1 1/2 cord left. Have more that is cut, just not split, that I could use if needed. Been kind of an odd winter it seems to me. Been cold most of the time, then will get a day or two of 50 degrees, then right back to teens. I normally burn wood from Nov. till March sometime.

There is still 2 cord out in the shed, that is spoken for, but not paid for yet! I could snag some of that if I need it I suppose. A friend I supply wood to, wanted 4 cord. He paid for and picked up 2 so far. I think we will be good till the warmer weather arrives. :msp_thumbsup:

:cheers:
Gregg,

I bring about 1/3 of a cord on the enclosed front porch at a time. I have burned mostly shag and oak this season. Some of the oak I will be bringing in next was cut and split last winter so it is pretty dry(real hot and dry summer) but after a few days sitting next to the stove it real good. Gone through 3 cord so far.

Bub

I normally go through my wood shed by mid march. Well it's empty. Hold 4 cords. Good thing I got some wood from a neighbor last fall. It's a tad damp, but dries out fairly quick.
So in the end I may go through 6-7 cords this year.
Beats turning out the gas furnace!

I believe we're deep enough in to say this also...
Even though it's been a bit of a struggle this year... looks like this will be the third winter in a row without turning on the gas furnace (other than a test-fire around Halloween). Of course, last year's mild weather hardly counts... but still, I'm lookin' at close to 36 months since that thing has run for more than a couple minutes at fall testing. The LP guy don't even stop and check the gauge anymore... heck, he don't even slow down when he drives by (takes a long time to use 400 gallon just heating water). I checked the gauge a couple weeks ago; probably gonna' need to fill it sometime this summer... maybe when they run their "Summer Fill" special prices.

After this storm passes I need to get off my lazy butt and do a little cutting... I've been taking it way too easy, livin' the good life and getting fat and soft this winter. Seriously, it's been so long since I used my saw (sometime well before Thanksgiving) I don't even remember where I stuffed it when I put it away last! The five-year-old and I did fire-up the splitter last weekend, cycled it a few times just for piece-of-mind... then covered it back up. I noticed my maul and axe leaning in the corner the other day... obviously been a while since I've used them, standing behind the rakes, shovels, hoes, spuds, pry bars and whatnot. And I found my box of log chains, cable, rigging, wedges and such stuffed under the table saw?? I don't remember doing that. Hmmmmm...... wonder if I have any bar oil?

I will be at 4 or less. The shed holds 4-1/4 cords. There is still 3/4 of a cord in it and my porch has I'm guessing about 1-1/2 cords on it. If spring comes when it's supposed to...I'll be hauling some wood back to the shed.

I normally go through my wood shed by mid march. Well it's empty. Hold 4 cords. Good thing I got some wood from a neighbor last fall. It's a tad damp, but dries out fairly quick.
So in the end I may go through 6-7 cords this year.
Beats turning out the gas furnace!

I agree with that! I refuse to turn on the propane furnace. Havn't used any of that since fall of 2008. I use a fake "electric" fireplace in the living room, and one of those small fake "woodstoves" in the back room, to take off a chill if need be in spring & fall. I realize the aren't FREE heat either.
But, they don't do to bad. Mostly just use one or the other in the evenings, and aren't needed during the day time. Actually I think they are cheaper to run than the AC in the summer. :dizzy:
At least the Gas company isn't getting rich off me.

:cheers:
Gregg,

My storage area can fit about 1 1/2 cords of wood. It was about 3/4 full at one point and now I'm down to about 1/2 cord. But I'm only heating 2000 sq ft so my usage is on the low side.

John

Best I can tell I'm right at 2 cords. Gas furnace has not run in the house except for a 4 day spell when I was in Spain and the wife didn't want to tend the stoves. One of the two stoves burns 24/7, and when it dips below ~5f or so both will be fired. House is always in the 70's, sometimes high 70's ;-)

It's kinda hard to tell for sure. I had quite a bit of random uglies and junk laying around that I burnt early on. I know I'm only into the good stuff maybe 2 cords or so. I'd guess I'm at 4 cords total right now. Probably gonna be 6 total for the year, which is about normal, but...I'm pretty happy with this because
1. We have been able to keep the house warmer this year than ever before. I wish I had made the decision to install a whole house wood fired furnace earlier!
2. There has been very little supplemental heat used (only when we we gone for a few days or when it was too warm to burn)
3. Looks like I will be able to save my white oak to be seasoned 1 more year (not sure if it was 100% ready)

*On a side note spidey, I think the idea you mentioned in that other thread about leaving your "EPA" stove installed to use on light heat load days is a excellent idea if you can make it work! :msp_thumbup: I'm sure your new furnace is gonna keep ya'll warm in January but, it could be a creosote factory if used too much in the shoulder season... and you sure 'nuff don't wanna get your gas mans hopes up again so... way to think outside the box!

Last edited:
Was just looking at my wood use yesterday. I figure I have put about 6-6.5 cords through the OWB so far this year. Fired it up the first weekend in October. About 85%-90% of what I've burned has been pine. Thermostat set at 74 from 5am to 8pm, 66 overnight.

Still Cold Here..
Chewin through my 5th Cord now..
Have made many re-loads into the basement, with more to come..

Went through just short of 4 cords so far. Mild winter here but half the wood burned has been basswood from a relatives yard. She needed the trees removed and the wood hauled away. The Basswood burns hot but awful fast. Using Red Oak for overnight burning.

I started the season with 11-12 cords piled in the shed. As of yesterday, I could see the back wall of the shed through a thin spot in the pile. We're down to 2 1/2 - 3 cords! Fortunately, there's only 4 weeks of cold weather left, with another 3 weeks of mild weather after that. We should make it, even if I have to start on the outdoor pile of ash & walnut I was "saving".

I lit the OWB on 10 November, so it's been burning non-stop for almost 3 1/2 months. No propane used except for the kitchen range. And, last month's electric use was the lowest we've had in the 5 1/2 years in this house; 431 KWH. We haven't ever been below 500 KWH in the past. Heating the domestic hot water with wood has been a bonus. And, this year, the garage has been 40-50 degrees all winter, too.

Jon

On a side note spidey, I think the idea you mentioned in that other thread about leaving your "EPA" stove installed to use on light heat load days is a excellent idea if you can make it work!

I've been doing some more measuring and figuring... I do believe it will stay.
I'm planning on taking out the combustible wall that separates the old coal storage room from the rest of the basement... which will allow me to install the Daka furnace on the back side of my gas furnace. Then I'll put the EPA stove back in factory configuration (i.e. remove the forced air plenum I built around it) and just use it to radiate heat in the basement during (so called) shoulder season... and, we could still use it to heat the basement during the dead of winter if we wanted.

Went thru about 4 cords thus far and have about 1/2 a face cord left. Knew i wouldnt have enough this winter but was hoping to make it thru Feb at least, came close. Next winter i shall be fully prepared. Sure was nice heating with wood this year (first time) and i learned a few things so next year should be even better.

Maybe 3, but I don't really keep track very well. It will probably be tight with what I have down at the house, but I have some extra I can bring down if weather permits. I don't need to check the furnace - I disconnected it few years ago.

I'd say about 4-5 cords for me so far this year. Didn't to a good job of keeping track so will track closer next year a little better. I will have enough but am dipping into some oak for next year this year. I've got better sources of wood for this upcoming year so I should be all set.

Get a little money together and get a more efficient stove than my old Schrader and I would probably burn less. Still getting the hang of burning wood for our heat upstairs but I know we haven't needed oil for the 2nd year now and still at 1/2 a tank. Maybe this summer or next spring I'll get a 1/4 tank just for backup.

Back