speeco , 22 ton, briggs 6.5 hp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe164

Reaction score
hello,
just wondering if any of you have one of theses speecos , they're made locally,
this will be my first splitter , tired of borrowing and renting, . I'm curious about durability , any problems etc,etc. It will be just under $1250.00 out the door,
thanks for any thoughts
:cheers: :cheers:

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby check out the huskee splitters they sell. You should be able to get a unit with more tonnage for less money. What ever you get stick with either a Briggs or Honda engine. I have a 27 ton White splitter(made by MTD) that has worked fine. Having a vert/horizontial splitter is a plus when doing larger pieces. Good luck.

I have one that works fine, but it's not the timberwolf by any means. If you have knarly wood the ram does not go out farenought to do a complete split and you have to handle the wood more times. for the price I couldn't build one . $775.00 from tsc.

asemaster,
many years ago I lived in Lincoln vt, burned 6 cords of ironwood a year, I wouldn't want to be splitting that again.
now we're in colorado, burning mostly delivered, split oak, but this will be primarily pine I'll be splitting,
i was curious what you ment by "tsc"

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby check out the huskee splitters they sell. You should be able to get a unit with more tonnage for less money. What ever you get stick with either a Briggs or Honda engine. I have a 27 ton White splitter(made by MTD) that has worked fine. Having a vert/horizontial splitter is a plus when doing larger pieces. Good luck.

TSC splitters are made for them by Speeco. Occasionaly a few show up at our TSC still wearing Speeco paint and decals

Joe 164: I have had my Speeco for 12 years now and there is not any thing that it won't split. mine was the 5hp model until just last week when the motor went and i replaced it with a 5.5 hp brigs runs as good as ever. split about a cord on sunday.Like I said i have had it for 12 years but I got it second hand its actually 16 year sold.

Yep, Got one

It works ok, but at times I wish that it was a little stronger. For the most part it works well. I like the two positions it has.

Splitter

Get the Iron and Oak 30 Ton Horizontal splitter with 9 HP Honda GX engine from Northwest Tools for $2039 delivered and no tax. It is a horizontal only, but thats what I prefer. Wrangling a round to be split vertically never appealed to me. It's more than you want to spend, maybe. But good tools are not cheap, and cheap tools are not good! I have one and the wife always reminds me that I spent too much, but when split with it.......I'm glad I spent the extra bucks. Comparing what you can get in Northern Tools it's a very good price, especially when you see their shipping costs (yikes).

I've had my 22T Speeco for about a month now and it works very well, I've split over 5 cords with it, and so far nothing has stopped it. However the valve has started to leak from the pressure adjustment cap, I called Speeco yesterday and they are sending me an O-ring kit for free. The valve is made by Energy, and It's used on every splitter I have seen, so I'm not judging the splitter on this, Speeco doesn't even make the valve.

This is the pile of wood my 22T Speeco has split
attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice pile! I like splitting so much, I've run out of wood to split. Following up on some free stuff, so I can get back to "work".
attachment.php

Find a Tractor Supply Store near you. They sell the EXACT same splitter you describe in opening your thread for $999.99. You can get the 3 year extended warranty for about $125.00, then if ANYTHING goes wrong its their baby. Its been discussed here numerous times, its the best value for a non commercial splitter out there!:rock:

I purchased the 22 ton last year after reading previous posts on here and talking to people who use them. Depending on the Tractor Supply, you can take an ad for the Speeco from a local supplier and they will match and beat the price by 5%. There is an Atwoods within a mile of the local TSC and they ran the splitter on sale for $900. I also had a $50 off coupon that they had mailed me and was able to get one for less than $900 including tax. :clap:

I picked up a 22-ton Speeco today from Tractor Supply for $899.00 (had a 10% off coupon). It's a real nice unit...like night and day compared to the 5-ton electric unit that I returned to Lowes!

Latest posts

Back