Speeco 22 Ton Engine Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carhartt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Friend asked me to replace his motor on his Speeco 22 ton splitter. Anyone have any experience with a quality replacement and any advantage to a bit larger motor that will fit with no modifications? I think it was a Briggs 5 hp or 190cc motor. I believe Honda makes a GCX similar motor. I am open to ideas and suggestions.

If you got a lot of life out of the original engine I'd try and find an exact replacement. Why screw with what works?

Harbor Freight 6hp ( sale priced a lot at $99.95) makes a good replacement, lot of people have done it this way( Horz. shaft) and have been pleased with the outcome.

If you are going to stay vertical shaft the briggs is probably the best bet. The shaft dia would need to match or get a new lovejoy type connection.

If you are converting to horizontal, it is hard to beat the Harbor Freight Predator for price and quality. It is a Honda GX clone and everyone I know that has one loves it. You would need some mods to make it work. Extend the suction line and the exhaust would probably blow toward the splitter beam.

Harbor Freight 6hp ( sale priced a lot at $99.95) makes a good replacement, lot of people have done it this way( Horz. shaft) and have been pleased with the outcome.

If the B&S dies on my splitter, this would be my choice...

I've been running one for four years with no problems other than bad gas, fixed that with propane.

Do you have to make any changes at all or just bolt on?

Latest posts

Back