Speeco slip-on 4-way wedge!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locust Cutter

Sawing for Sanity
Reaction score
I was able to pick up a 4-way wedge from TSC yesterday that I ordered about a week and a half ago, (nice turn-around time!). Unfortunately I had to work last night so I didn't get to try it. After getting off Sat. morning and sleeping I got up and started to make dinner for the family. After getting the charcoal started, I moved the splitter from the barn to the wood pile/sale wood racks and tried it out on some Honey Locust rounds which I cut and hauled recently, of which some were green and some were dry. They were all cut 24". I was fairly well impressed at how well the admittedly stubby 4-way wings worked out and the pace I was able to achieve without pushing myself. They're obviously not as enthusiastic as most commercial 4-way wedges are (having to be narrow enough to allow the ram to retract fully and clear the wood stripper wings) but they actually work very well.

I wasn't sure what to expect of the wedge, having only seen the pictures online. On initial feel, it isn't over;y heavy and actually looks a bit spindly being a simple welded affair. I can't speak to the durability yet as I only managed to split about 20 logs before I had to get back to the grill, but I will definitely be giving it a run for it's money in the coming days/months while I try to get caught back up and hopefully ahead of production after recovering from shoulder surgery this Spring. For the $62 price, I think this will be a good investment.

Now I just hope that I don't break off the already bent toe plate on my splitter. It's definitely time to move towards a commercial grade unit for some of the logs I split and keep the Speeco unit for general usage and less than 25" wood.

I got the TSC 4 way for my Huskee 22 ton. The first wood I tried it on was Hickory, and it didn't do very well. As you said, the stubby wings, wouldn't separate the block. Later I tried it on Oak and it worked quite well. After working with it a while and finding a pattern, you could make pretty good time. Mine chipped and bent before the first season was over, Joe.

I had to return mine after the first few logs. It came into a knot and the back strap bent ninety degrees. Is says right on it for softwood use only, and that advice should be followed.

Everyone seems to agree the slip over speeco ones are not the best setup and often counterproductive

The slip on 4-ways work well and can save time when used as directed. I've found that mine won't work well with larger rounds nor knotty hardwoods. It makes short work of these 10" red maple rounds though.

Back