Speed lines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some help here figuring out this whole speed lining gig. I have been talking with JPS, and I look at the pictures that Rob takes, yet I still can't figure it out. As far as my rigging technique goes, I am a big fan of swinging (not that kind you sicko's ;) ) I would like to figure out this whole speed lining thing though. As far as I can see, you have to set it up, take a few small pieces, and then move the line. Mike, I think this is something you will shine at with your artistic abilities.

The move it around a lot is the begginers method or good for certain cercomstances.

As you progress and add a winch you can pick with the line, transfer loads to the line from a pick line....

The one that Rog seems to like alot encorporates the transfer line and return in one loop. rusns slower, but one guy can operate it at the terminus.

Here's a picture from a previous discussion, notice that the tensioner should be called a guy:

This is just one way, my favorite, to rig a speedline.
The other common way is to slack the speedline and attach the limb, then tension the line as you cut, thereby lifting it.

So Mike lookin from that drawing you are saying that you pull the tree one way with the speed line and the weight of the piece, and to tension the line you pull it backwards. Now on top of that... the line you lower with, it looks like you are standing at the base of the tree, then you have the line rup up through a block which is located right where the speed line is secured. Then you run that through another pulley, and then down to the ascender. Now I gotta ask this. Why do you have the ascender there? Why not just go with one of those big ball things? Or even better than that... How is it that the piece will go down the speed line as opposed to down the pulleys to the ground as well. If that makes any sense??

I know it is easier with the right equipment, but the one time I needed to speedline a tree (pine removal over a house and another tree) I had to use what was available. 120' of True Blue and 3 old lanyards. Flipped the lanyard around the limb to be cut and clipped it back on itself, choking the limb. Clipped the other end on the speedline and cut the limb. After 3 cuts, a groundie sent me back the 3 lanyards.
Anyone else here using the locking lanyard clips for speedlining? They seem a perfect size for clipping around a 1/2" rope, and provide just enough friction to keep the limb from reaching mach 1 on the way down!

Let's say the distance from the speedline to the lowest branch is 50 feet. When I set up the speed line I leave a 50 foot tail hanging down. On the tail is the gibbs. It has a strap to attach the limb to be removed. I attach the strap, pull the slack through the gibbs, and cut the limb.
The other end of the lowering rope is right there, so i control the desent of the limb. Once down the ground man removes the limb and I pull the lowering line back to myself.
As I continue to work, I move up the tree. The gibbs moves up the rope with me.
With this setup, there is no need to continuosly tension and retension the speedline, it stays tight.
The reason I use a gibbs is it would be hard to tie a limb to the center of that 50 foot line, so the sliding mechanism is used. Plus I like to tie limbs off with straps as much as possible, 'cus it's fast and easy.

ok mike now that makes more sense. i figured you had a seperate ground man on the lowering line. how big of a wack do you trust the gibbs for? i always pictured a petzl rigging plate with 2 pulleys on top. then you have the bottom holes for multple slings or pulling it back.

So Mike, you tie a knot at the pulley which runs down the speed line? That is the only way I could understand what you are saying.

Latest posts

Back