Speeding up a mini-mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwolfrun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am cutting 10-12" oak with a Stihl MS280C with a 325 full skip chain, 20" bar and the rakes filed a bit short. I am taking off slabs to make beams and cutting at about a foot a minute. Question one, does this seem slow to you.

I called Granberg and they say that a larger power head makes some difference but not that much. They recommended a 3/8 pico bar and rip chain. I would, of course, have to change the sprocket. My dealer says I can't get a pico in 3/8 at least not from Stihl. Question two, does this recommendation seem sound to you and worth the cost and effort to make the change.

Question three, any better ideas.

Jim

Jim,

A pico chain will make a big difference, particularly on a smaller powerhead. The kerf is 1/4". You can order pico bars, chains and sprockets from Logosol (www.logosol.com) or Baileys (Woodsman Pro).

Ted

I've a 36 in Alaskan and the ripping chain on my 385 works better then a round chisle.

I would also raise the rakers, with them files down farther then recommended you are working the saw harder then you should. When doing standard cross cutting with my medium saws in hard woods, I will have the rakers a little higher then standard.

If you are not familiar with their function, they rock the cutter up and down to chisel the sawdust out of the kurf.

I have bought two Stihl 16" picco bars (3003 mount), and 2, Picco
rim sprockets. You can get the Picco rims in 7T or 8T that fits the
026/260 (standard size) I don't know what size rim the 280 takes.
Dealer had to order Bars and sprockets.....plus I have picked up
two NOS 20" Picco bars.

Latest posts

Back