Spending your $

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treespec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a Sherrill customer also, but if you buy the same product for less money, then shopping around makes $ense. Here's another company that sells limited climbing and rigging gear-americansafety.com.800-438-6013. Their transformer slings (whoopie slings) 3/4" are $20. cheaper than Sherrill. Their 48" pole slings (friction saver), are $13. cheaper. So it pays to shop around.

Let the buyer beware.

Caveat Emptor. I am convinced that if you shop around enough, you will eventually find a cheaper price on everything. It just becomes a question of diminishing marginal returns-like the grocery shopper that drives 10 miles to save 10 cents on a pound of butter. Having said that, consumer comparisons are what keeps prices in check-most retailers will charge the max they can get away with and still bring the customers in the door. Check out the prices in grocery stores and convenience stores in small towns lately??

I coulda used this in the mountains

10000.jpg

Emergency Medical Oxygen Kit w/ Bag

In school we wuz taught (obviously knot anglish!) that dollars are econmic votes. When searching for someone to establish an ongoing relationship with (ie. when you are serious) price is generally more important than service on the first few rolls; but after someone has proven themselves; i get up off that some.

Guess i kinda hope my customers do the same. So, i take that as fair an balanced.

Apple's and apple's

Obviously, spending a dollar to save a dime is not in one's best interest. But if the product is the same in quaility and performance, then it is advantageous to everyone involved. We all work hard out there, spend wisely.

Originally posted by treespec
I'm a Sherrill customer also, but if you buy the same product for less money, then shopping around makes $ense. Here's another company that sells limited climbing and rigging gear- americansafety.com 800-438-6013. Their transformer slings (whoopie slings) 3/4" are $20. cheaper than Sherrill. Their 48" pole slings (friction saver), are $13. cheaper. So it pays to shop around.

Who makes their stuff? Sherrill's friction savers are made by Buckingham and are load rated, supposedly the only manufacturer that does that. I will spend a couple bucks to have every link in my life support load rated.
Is this the item you are comparing to a friction saver? It is only rated for 3000lbs basket, not up to the 5000lb ANSI requirement. http://www.americansafety.com/catal...ldid=9529093091524&view=yes&Cat=9529093091524

Are their Whoopies the same? Or is it a different rope? Tenex is fairly expensive rope, cheaper Whoopies can be made with less expensive rope. I couldn't find the whoopie slings.

Let's even the playing field. You're comparing a sling which isn't the same as our whoopie sling (see pics below). The transformer sling adjusts from 2' to 4', and the whoopie sling you're comparing it to adjusts from 2' to 9'. So let's change the comparison to our small ($10 less) whoopies sling, which still adjusts from 2' to 5'. Our whoopie sling is made by our in-house splicing professionals...I don't see any mention as to who manufactures the AS sling. The AS sling is has a "16,800 Rating". 16,800 what? Pounds, kilograms? Probably pounds, but what's the rating? Is that tensile strength or Safe Working Load? Probably a 16,800 lb tensile strength. So what's its SWL? Our sling has a 3,280 lb SWL, which I'd bet is more than the transformer slings. PLUS, our slings come with all that information on the sling itself. I can see no such labeling on the transformer sling. However, all these comparisons are pointless, if they aren't in fact the same type of sling (whoopie). I guess my point is that if you find the SAME product somewhere else, just make sure it is the SAME product. Below are pictures of the two slings. Are they the same?

The AS Transformer Sling:
S0194L0048.jpg

and the Sherrill Whoopie Sling:
whpslng.jpg

Respectfully yours,
-Sean Larkin

Now put the loopie in there for comparison.

That transformer sling cannot reduce as far, cannot see it being much use in our practices with the double end adjustment.

Now what is the cost of Tenex? I'll just start doing my own :D.

Apples and Oranges

Finally got some specs from American Safety.Their D-ring friction saver is only rated for 3000 lbs. w/ a 48" sling, and in a basket. It is made by Stringer. It gave 'rated capacity' only. However, their 10', double eye, 3/4" Auger slings look promising.Max. work load of 4800 lbs. Minimum breaking strenth of 21,600 lbs. Made by Yalex. I need 1 more spec on the transformer sling-SWL. Contact them next week.

Originally posted by TheTreeSpyder
In school we wuz taught (obviously knot anglish!) that dollars are econmic votes. When searching for someone to establish an ongoing relationship with (ie. when you are serious) price is generally more important than service on the first few rolls; but after someone has proven themselves; i get up off that some.

Guess i kinda hope my customers do the same. So, i take that as fair an balanced.

It's like buying ArborWear versus Carhartts. Who do you see sponsoring events? Who do you see at trade shows? Who do you see joining our industry organizations?

When you put your money into ArborWear, it comes back in many ways - research, student sponsorships, prizes, climbing competitions, etc. I find that much more worthwhile than a lower price.

Nickrosis

Latest posts

Back