spiderlifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

algibomi

Reaction score
my partner and I are giving alot of consideration to the purchase of a spiderlift.I
am trying to get all the info that I possibly can. Any info, good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would PM some of the guys on here with the certain lift you are considering, that way any pro`s & con`s could be discussed in private, some have purchased these lifts then bragged the hell outta em, now only to realize the real pros & cons they might not wanna admit publicly!!!

LXT......................

I would PM some of the guys on here with the certain lift you are considering, that way any pro`s & con`s could be discussed in private, some have purchased these lifts then bragged the hell outta em, now only to realize the real pros & cons they might not wanna admit publicly!!!

LXT......................

i may be "one of those guys" . Still think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, however, I wish they didn't price gouge on parts and I wish they were a bit more reliable for tree work. They can price gouge because there is only one parts supplier in the US, so you have no other choice than to pay.

Ive had a fair share of minor problems with sensors, joysticks and other electrical BS. Always seems to happen when Im up atleast 70ft and I have to radio down to my ground guys to work the ground controls so we can finish the job.

Right now I have a bad relay switch(which they wont sell me by itself) in one of the outriggers and Im waiting for it to get here. This effects automatic leveling. Had a job on a hillside when we discovered this issue and couldnt level the machine because of this. Machine was loaded back on the trailer and out came the climbing gear. Pisses you off when you got 5 guys standing around watching you curse at your $120k lawn ornament.

Last week a track stopped moving because there was sawdust in the joystick. Took apart the control panel. sprayed contact electrical contact cleaner and the joytsick worked again. Some of the electronics on these machines dont react well to dust and dirt, which is tree work. Even though everything is sealed off saw dust still manages to get in. So you need to prepare yourself when a switch or sensor needs cleaning by opening up where the sensor is at and clean it.

My altec bucket truck never has any problems with the boom, becuase there is zero electrical on it. All hydraulic. Sure electric over hydraulic makes a boom much smoother, but it also makes it more problematic.

I work my spider lift 80% of the time, bucket truck 18% and climbing 2%. I also never pull any trucks on a lawn. Around here everyone has a sprinkler system and sod so for me its either keep the spider lift or climb. Keeping the spiderlift for now, but hoping there will be more competition to enter the market. Right now there is no competition in the 75ft range at the price a 23gt sells for.

john, does the spider use a gyro for the leveling operation? if it does a quick fix which has worked for me on my unit may help on yours, I got a xtra pug in female & male I can quickly remove the gyro, plug in my extension(approx 20-25ft) and set it on the ground level(shim it or whatever) this is temporary but allows you to finish work aloft untill the new sensor is installed.

outrigger sensors always go bad!! as do the boom sensors!!! I learned how to bypass mine with help from fact. rep but only in emergency situations.

my boom sensor went bad & would not allow me to lift the outriggers, nice gotta get it outta the lady`s front yard, after this I learned all I could about bypass functions, reset parameters & how to shut some of the modes off!!

john if they sell it get the operational/troubleshooting & parameters disc. beleive me you will need it!!! or your gonna pay even more when they have to come out & plug the laptop in and do it for ya $$$$$$$.

LXT.....................

Spider Lift Pro/Cons

I put a deposit down on a 23GT. I have found everyone's comments very helpful as I want to learn from the "field" as much as possible. I went to see one in Raleigh, NC for two days and the guy down there is still happy with his. His only complaint to date is having to press the safety button while booming up and just has not gotten around to bypassing it yet.

Alot of my work is on slopes and uneven ground here in WV and I am counting on this thing being able to climb what it says it can climb.

Does anyone in the group think the extended warranty would be something to consider buying? I remain doubtful at $11,900 price tag......

No clue on the waranty, sorry. But it will climb on a slope!!!! And if you got the retractable track system, it will blow you away!!!!!!!!!

Back