spike trimming malpractice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Sanborn put it best; worth a second look. That school deal is working out well for him!

:blob2:

School? I been harping on that for years :laugh: Maybe it is helping me order my thoughts more though.

You guys are purposely trying to muddy the waters here. That line is not talking about the difference between arboriculture and forestry. It's not talking about the difference between row trees and urban trees. It's not talking about the difference between mrs. homeowner's tree in her front yard and the trees along a transmission line running over the catskill mountains.

If the ROW tree is running through Mrs. Homeowners front yard then it should be a problem if it is spiked, because it is her property, if it is the back beyond of a greenbelt, in the urban Catskills, not a good specimen of the species, and a probable candidate for future removal.... then I would not have a problem with gaffing.

as a matter of fact certain species had sprouts that came outta the spike holes, silver maples, cherries, locusts & even red oaks

A solid anecdote that shows that gaff injury induces stress in trees! :clap:

hmmmmm, After reading all this I have come to a conclusion!
In this industry there are Arborist, Hacks and Trolls. I will now add a new one......Professional Hack. ProHack for short
They should start their own "club". Then they can teach the up and comer ProHack the ways of the SITH.

Look, u guys know darn well its not good for trees,, yet you still do it because you admit you don't care about the health of the tree, that's fine, we understand, but don't argue the point of whether or not it is good , that is ridicules, and you know this! I was taught with out them, hardly ever used them, HATED them, was told by my elder that when I see someone climbing with them, "they couldn't grasp foot locking or they are lazy" period.
There are times that it is a necessary evil, but that does not make it ok, just necessary. I have never gaffed a prune, only a removal, and as soon as I was in the canopy, down they went. Soon after I quite using them altogether. Yall talk about the "club". Really!! Listen to yourself, that is what is wrong, when people try to do things right, they become the "establishment". Who do you think started the "club"? and why!

I'm actually not arguing the point of whether or not it's good for the tree, and i've explicitly stated that i don't spike trims. I am arguing the ansi exemptions though. It's what you guys love to throw in our faces whenever this argument comes up, and i've just got to wonder why the exemption for rural row trees if spikes are so harmful. These trees aren't thick barked, they are not a hazard climb, they are able to be safely climbed for the most part without spikes, yet ansi specifically states that spikes are ok to be used along rural rows. I know, you are probably rolling your eyes, thinking i'm beating a dead horse. But the first year of my line clearance career was spent trimming nothing but rural lines, lines in the middle of nowhere. Most people don't realize it, but i'd be willing to bet there are thousands of miles of rural line in this state alone. I've got a good friend who has been trimming along power lines for almost thirty years and has never done it in sight of a house. That's a lot of trees that have ansi's approval to be spiked. My limited experience in rural row is what makes that line jump out at me.
And to take it a step further, why does a "club" that preaches proper trimming techniques stand by guidelines that allows improper trimming techniques for a rather large segment of the tree population? That really is my only question, and i'm not trying to be argumentative or get into semantics, but spiking rural row trees is not a "necessary evil."

To be honest greanbean, you are part of the reason these arguments go so far off the rails. You are so rabidly anti spike that you are not willing to admit they even have a place in the tree industry. Because i use spikes on removals, that makes me lazy? That's a good starting point to trying to find some middle ground.:dizzy: I'm not trying to criticize someone like treeseer because he feels differently about the spike issue than myself, i'm trying to figure out the arguments behind his choice when i was taught a different way, a way that honestly is still the majority around my part of the country. I'm just stubborn, i've never seen anecdotal evidence of the evils of spiking with my own eyes, and am simply curious about the oddity of that exemption in the ansi guidelines. If spiking is so bad, why is it allowed for a certain group of trees?

Tree racism??:laugh:

As for your "club", i am a member of the isa, not by choice, however. While they may have good intentions, i don't think they go about it the right way. And it really has become more a marketing tool than anything else. I know isa members who you would consider hacks. Heck, you consider me one of them. But it's easier to pick up work if you are an isa member. They've done a fair job of getting their name out there and what they stand for, not so good a job of weeding out their members. And in my opinion, you aren't a good representative for them either-if you want people to join your cause, don't blast them for doing something they were taught was the right way. That will automatically raise their defenses and make them resistant to your ideas, me being a perfect example. I don't agree with everything treeseer says, but i do appreciate that he has never flat out called me a hack for using spikes. And i'm willing to listen to him and i even sort of agree with him in the back of my mind-it's just hard for me without physical evidence, i've taken down thousands if not tens of thousands of trees over my career for dozens of reasons. Trees dead from lightning problems, root problems, infestation problems, disease problems, improper cuts, poor growing conditions, and the list goes on. But never a one due to complications caused by being spiked. And i'm not trying to push my argument here, just telling you why it's hard for me to jump on the bandwagon.
However, i don't spike trims, (isa has done a good job with swaying the homeowner's minds), and even though it isn't for the same reasons treeseer doesn't spike, shouldn't it still be considered a win in your book?
However, you seem to want to take it one step further, banning spikes for everything. Come on! In the future when all arborists have been converted to your way of thinking, fine. But at this point, you guys are still trying to convert guys like me, and sometimes conversion takes a little compromise from both sides. I can see where rftreeman is coming from with wanting to spike a tree, i hear something like this from you, and know that since you don't want to compromise, why should i.

A solid anecdote that shows that gaff injury induces stress in trees! :clap:

By that train of thought....any mechanical injury would cause stress in trees!

the bigger question: is it stress? or is it promoted unwanted growth?

funny how many I have talked to at seminars/events will say "spiking is bad" but......you can use the 1/3rd rule throughout the entire canopy of the tree, thinout by removing interior shoots & this is all "proper practice"

you can advocate the saving of a tree that has had a co-dominant leader torn off in a storm, trees with serious crown breakout, etc... some would toll the bell to save these storm stressed trees which may/maynot have been pushed to a point of eminent fail during the next "small storm"....but

the use of spikes is so detrimental, stressful, etc... that the use of such is limited to certain situations! this is complete CRAP!!

JPS... to even make the mention that a tree out in the green belt thats not in a home owners yard can be spiked due to possible future removal is the hypocrosy many on here are complaining about!! regardless if its a good specie or poor specie....where is the "code of ethics" in this thought process, someone still owns the tract of land that ghreenbelt tree resides in.

I am troubled that you are involved in some form of schooling & would even propogate what you have suggested, No wonder many view the ISA as a click or their spokespeople as hypocrites.....its only ok because of the situation? or because some tree panel made it as a rule?

C`mon....JPS, you are respected, but this post of yours shows why many think how they do!!

LXT.................

If the ROW tree is running through Mrs. Homeowners front yard then it should be a problem if it is spiked, because it is her property, if it is the back beyond of a greenbelt, in the urban Catskills, not a good specimen of the species, and a probable candidate for future removal.... then I would not have a problem with gaffing.

Outside of emergencies, there no justification for spiking the base of any tree.

Sorry for the double post, jps dropped one in while i was typing. Statements like this from two mostly respected members of this board is what makes this a difficult topic for me to get behind. There seems to be double standards about spiking even among guys like this.

Lxt, you said it better than i could. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm actually not arguing the point of whether or not it's good for the tree, and i've explicitly stated that i don't spike trims. I am arguing the ansi exemptions though. It's what you guys love to throw in our faces whenever this argument comes up, and i've just got to wonder why the exemption for rural row trees if spikes are so harmful. These trees aren't thick barked, they are not a hazard climb, they are able to be safely climbed for the most part without spikes, yet ansi specifically states that spikes are ok to be used along rural rows. I know, you are probably rolling your eyes, thinking i'm beating a dead horse. But the first year of my line clearance career was spent trimming nothing but rural lines, lines in the middle of nowhere. Most people don't realize it, but i'd be willing to bet there are thousands of miles of rural line in this state alone. I've got a good friend who has been trimming along power lines for almost thirty years and has never done it in sight of a house. That's a lot of trees that have ansi's approval to be spiked. My limited experience in rural row is what makes that line jump out at me.
And to take it a step further, why does a "club" that preaches proper trimming techniques stand by guidelines that allows improper trimming techniques for a rather large segment of the tree population? That really is my only question, and i'm not trying to be argumentative or get into semantics, but spiking rural row trees is not a "necessary evil."

To be honest greanbean, you are part of the reason these arguments go so far off the rails. You are so rabidly anti spike that you are not willing to admit they even have a place in the tree industry. Because i use spikes on removals, that makes me lazy? That's a good starting point to trying to find some middle ground.:dizzy: I'm not trying to criticize someone like treeseer because he feels differently about the spike issue than myself, i'm trying to figure out the arguments behind his choice when i was taught a different way, a way that honestly is still the majority around my part of the country. I'm just stubborn, i've never seen anecdotal evidence of the evils of spiking with my own eyes, and am simply curious about the oddity of that exemption in the ansi guidelines. If spiking is so bad, why is it allowed for a certain group of trees?

As for your "club", i am a member of the isa, not by choice, however. While they may have good intentions, i don't think they go about it the right way. And it really has become more a marketing tool than anything else. I know isa members who you would consider hacks. Heck, you consider me one of them. But it's easier to pick up work if you are an isa member. They've done a fair job of getting their name out there and what they stand for, not so good a job of weeding out their members. And in my opinion, you aren't a good representative for them either-if you want people to join your cause, don't blast them for doing something they were taught was the right way. That will automatically raise their defenses and make them resistant to your ideas, me being a perfect example. I don't agree with everything treeseer says, but i do appreciate that he has never flat out called me a hack for using spikes. And i'm willing to listen to him and i even sort of agree with him in the back of my mind-it's just hard for me without physical evidence, i've taken down thousands if not tens of thousands of trees over my career for dozens of reasons. Trees dead from lightning problems, root problems, infestation problems, disease problems, improper cuts, poor growing conditions, and the list goes on. But never a one due to complications caused by being spiked. And i'm not trying to push my argument here, just telling you why it's hard for me to jump on the bandwagon.
However, i don't spike trims, (isa has done a good job with swaying the homeowner's minds), and even though it isn't for the same reasons treeseer doesn't spike, shouldn't it still be considered a win in your book?
However, you seem to want to take it one step further, banning spikes for everything. Come on! In the future when all arborists have been converted to your way of thinking, fine. But at this point, you guys are still trying to convert guys like me, and sometimes conversion takes a little compromise from both sides. I can see where rftreeman is coming from with wanting to spike a tree, i hear something like this from you, and know that since you don't want to compromise, why should i.
lol....he called me a hack and I don't even do trim work hardly anymore...

I haven't myself spiked a tree for trimming in more than 4 years since I left Davey Tree, hell I haven't climbed a removal in over a year, I pay a climber to do it for me, I've said before that if I accept a trim job I have a very good climber that does it by foot locking and other methods, that's if I accept the job, a majority of the time I just pass it on and get my 10% cut.

as for all the fat and lazy remarks, yep, I'm fat but I ain't lazy and if I need to get to the top of the damn tree spikeless to toss these jackasses out on their heads for personal remarks I can, I do have a foot ascender (I think that's what it is) and have a little experience using it and have used the old fashioned hip thrust method although that one really works on my back...

My argument is the same as beowulf's, I have never heard of or seen a tree that died or had to be removed due to it being spiked and have seen one tree get spiked many times while being used for training purposes for years and it lives on....as for the cross contamination of fungus, I can understand that but that works for all your tools not just spikes.....

Last edited:
Legally - No, Ethically - Oughtta be, Professionally - Yes.

Spikes are for removals and emergencys only. IMO

I'm with these guys.

I don't have a problem with spike climbing for backwoods ROW work. A lot of those trees should come down anyway in my opinion

All i can say is wow. Do you guys actually think about this. Spikes were for removals and emergencies ONLY, until it was pointed out that ansi is ok with rural row being spiked, and you guys just fall in line.

The country row trees need a voice to combat this tyranny, and i will become that voice!! Is that pos row tree growing in someone's backyard with a pitbull chained to it, three fences growing into it, and a garage foundation close enough that half the root system is gone more valuable than the trees whose only crime is that they happen to have been born on a spot in the wilderness where mankind decided to build a powerline? NO!! Stand up for the rights of ALL trees my brothers!!

"There can be no peace as long as there is grinding being done to our stumps, social injustice done to our saplings, inequality among our races, oppression based on the place of our birth, environmental degradation, and as long as the weak, small, and backwood hick trees continue to be trodden by the mighty and powerful.”
Dalai Lama (paraphrased)

Here's the thing about ROW trees guys. Well, things, actually.

Is it safe to be using a new clean throwline next to the high voltage many times a day?

How about an month old, slightly dirty one?

How about if the humidity get up over 90%? Still safe?

How about in a light rain? Or two hours after a light rain, with the leaves still damp?

Thats a big reason why spiking ROW trees is ok.

Money is the other one. It's a simple fact that less trees will be trimmed every day on the ROW if they have to be done spikeless. The costs of trimming those trees is passed on to the users of the electricity indirectly in their billing. And anything that costs more is generally unacceptable, especially when the damage is perceived as only aestetic. When enough people are able to perceive that the damage is more than aestetic, maybe those trees will be worth the extra cost to trim them right. Or maybe they'll just be removed. Or maybe it'll just keep on as it is, with ROW trees not getting the same treatment as yard trees because they have the additional safety concern of voltage.

I'm NOT saying ROW trees can not be done safely without spikes, just that it takes longer, and requires more knowledge and experience to perform safely.

And as has already been pointed out, ROW trees for the most part avoid the soil compaction and root disturbance that urban trees suffer from, and are more able to compartmentalize and seal over spike wounds. That does not make the wounding less damaging. It just makes those trees more able to tolerate it.

The first time I climbed a tree spikeless was in 1989, it was a silver maple that I cut the whole side off of to get 15 feet clearance....I got's picture somewhere...lol......it was in a back yard....

C`mon....JPS, you are respected, but this post of yours shows why many think how they do!!

Why am I a hypocrite if I say that there can be a gray area? I have never said i am of the every tree is sacred crowd. IMO this is an argument for arguments sake, we all seem to be pretty much on the same sheet of paper.

What is the trees purpose in the landscape? If it is one of five, then the client may want to do whatever is possible to keep it alive.

My view point is that if we are selling our work as arborists, then we are doing plant health care when pruning a tree. If our methodology does more harm then good, then we are not working in the clients best interest.

ROW work is vegetation control, it is a necessary "evil", just as the power lines themselves are. I follow a similar mindset as Dave (or was it Dan?), i think that any tree in an ROW should be coppiced on a 3-4 year cycle vs some of the lop-n-top work we see all over.

Only if it is a specimen quality, low risk of failure, example of the species should it stay in the ROW. I do not know how many willow/boxelder/cottonwoods I have taken off of houses that failed at decay courts associated with ROW hackery. If the tree is altered that much, for that long then it should go.

By that train of thought....any mechanical injury would cause stress in trees!

YES!!! sometimes it is localized, other times it is global. Pruning is injury, to close the wound and to create boundary zones the tree has to take away from the energy stores in the zylem. Shigo wrote an abundance of work on this with reams of data. I recall a French study of Parisian plain trees where winter buds of pruned trees had a significant drop in starches compared to untrimmed trees.

epicormic sprouting is fast and succulent, and saps the local reserves. It also lacks the phytotoxins that inhibit insect and pest infestations.

the bigger question: is it stress? or is it promoted unwanted growth?

This type of growth is both stress induced and wanted. We all see that wound wood grows faster when it is in proximity off green mass (chloroplastic tissue). Gilman has shown that boundary formation is better the closer green mass is to the wound.

So the tree wants it, and i want it for the tree to recover from the stress.

funny how many I have talked to at seminars/events will say "spiking is bad" but......you can use the 1/3rd rule throughout the entire canopy of the tree, thinout by removing interior shoots & this is all "proper practice"

I have been against "raise and gut" tree work for near two decades. I have been a active proponent of leaving inner canopy and tip thinning for nearly as long. The former is unnatural, and the latter works with a trees natural growth and shedding strategies. Limb loss happens out at the ends, not so much in the center of the tree.

Last edited:
"you can advocate the saving of a tree that has had a co-dominant leader torn off in a storm, trees with serious crown breakout, etc... some would toll the bell to save these storm stressed trees which may/maynot have been pushed to a point of eminent fail during the next "small storm"....but

the use of spikes is so detrimental, stressful, etc... that the use of such is limited to certain situations! this is complete CRAP!!"

lxt, you don't really mean to equate codom tearouts, where the stem is broken, with crown loss, where only branches are broken, do you? them's fightin words...where you been, boy? :hmm3grin2orange:

It'd be crazy to advocate saving every broken tree, but it's crazier to condemn trees based on our haffast guesses about trees not being able to restore their crowns.

The ANSI standard on rural trees is all about location, value, and money. Nothing hypocritical about it; those are legitimate reasons for different management.

beo why not start a campaign to save the snails? This spike-hugging passion is whack. :notrolls2:

But I love my spikes; just sharpened them today cuz I'll use em tomorrow; removal day!

The ANSI standard on rural trees is all about location, value, and money. Nothing hypocritical about it; those are legitimate reasons for different management.

beo why not start a campaign to save the snails? This spike-hugging passion is whack. :notrolls2:

Honestly treeseer, i am so disappointed. I've listened to you for years on this site. Thought you were a little crazy but also thought that here was a guy who has a genuine passion for protecting trees. Maybe the passion got a little crazy, but i've got to respect passion like that in a man. And come to find out it's all a lie. The passion only extends to those trees with the right breeding, the right home, and the right net worth.

I'm kind of speechless, never thought i'd hear this kind of confession from you of all people. Here's how i'm seeing it-my parents live in a rural area with a power line that cuts across one of the hayfields. Where it crosses the property line, it cuts through a big old sugar maple that gets spiked every cycle. But because it's not in the right location, you have no problem spiking it.

Your beliefs on this subject are based on location, value, and money. I'm ####ing sick.

This is my last post on this thread, maybe i've lost some innocence. I thought there were arborists who would do the right thing no matter the reasons. You sir are no better than me.

Rftreeman, i'll join you in the spiking-there's a nice little larch on my folk's place that needs trimming. Now that i know it's acceptable to spike it, will give me chance to blow off some steam.

Treeseer, take that link out of your sig. Trees are good, but only when they are worth something or are located in the right area.

Last edited:
Treeseer, take that link out of your sig. Trees are good, but only when they are worth something or are located in the right area.

Or its the dont see it doesnt matter rule :laugh:

Seer...heres the new title for your next ISA article, "Dont ask, Dont tell....trim with your spikes on!"

& what part of my post detective did you read that gave you the thought that I was equating 2 different situations? I stated "crown break out" not crown loss!! this was in context relating to storm damage, So....to re-clarify for you:

I was equating those such as your self who would consider saving trees with such damage, inclusive of the fact that such trees may have been structurally stressed to a point of failure thus a "hazard in waiting".....basically, you would want to save a tree such as what I have mentioned above, but would ridicule & place emphasis on the damage that spikes could cause :bang: I hope this explanation has helped??

LXT.......................

I was equating those such as your self who would consider saving trees with such damage, inclusive of the fact that such trees may have been structurally stressed to a point of failure thus a "hazard in waiting".....basically, you would want to save a tree such as what I have mentioned above, but would ridicule & place emphasis on the damage that spikes could cause :bang: I hope this explanation has helped??

I do disagree with how Guy dropped the discussion and turned it into name-calling.

The idea of crown restoration in an urban setting is valid because these are the only mature trees the client has. I've read the articles and worked with Guy on a number of his clients properties. We both sell the service as a long term management program that would require more work then a good tree would. The client is informed of the long term risk of failure, and the risk that the tree may (or will) have to come down in five to ten years.

My church has a bur oak that is in decline from parking lot construction. My deadwooding made it look like a total hatrack, and I cringe every time a park there, or drive by. I offered to trim deadwood, or remove for the same price, because the members would all have taken the wood, a decision was made to keep it till it was too unsafe to stay.

Why should the tree company decide what to do with the clients property? If they are informed consumers and do not care if the tree is hacked and lopped, all I can do is kvetch about a bad example. If they want to keep something in the yard because they like the way the trunk looks out the front picture window, they should get all the available choices.

Where it crosses the property line, it cuts through a big old sugar maple that gets spiked every cycle. But because it's not in the right location, you have no problem spiking it.

I don't think he is saying that, I know I've said the opposite. I would encourage a client to put a sign on a tree like that "no spike climbing", and meet with the utility forester to ensure that it is not done.

The case-study tree seems to be handling the tress and is a very good seed source. I would argue that wee professionals should do whatever is possible to ensure that it lives as long as it can. I have been paid to have these conversations.

In the a fore mentioned hazard failures, I have tried to get client's to go after ROW managers for leaving hazard trees standing. IMO if a tree is a hazard due to the past practices, then that company should be liable. If they offer removal, and the property owner declines, then they are covered. That owner has made an informed decision.

I do think that the offer should be made every cycle, though, and if there is a risk to public the owner should be taken to court. I've taken many trees of neighboring properties that has visible defects that a "reasonable person" could see compromised structure. I've also been hired to make an opinion on hazards across lotlines, for the sole purpose of establishing liability prior to a failure event.

my point here in offering several anecdotes is that I feel we can still be tree advocates while agreeing with that line in ANSI that was written to hold productivity over plant health. We tree-advocates have our gray areas too.

Well said, I want to make one thing clear, I dont like gaffs, never did. I don't care if someone uses them on a removal, more power too ya if it helps speed things up, all that I said above was in reference to spiking a prune. I will never give up on it, its wrong.........period. The "evil's" we speak of maybe necessary, but they are still bad for the tree, when dealing with ROW, I believe it is a safety issue Although I try to be a steward of the land, I don't want anybody getting killed, if they need to gaff when doing ROW to be safe, then do it. Still not good for the tree. I am not asking for compromise, your right, I wont, I don't need to. I am asking, that next time you pull up to a Prune job (this to all of you) think about if you really need those things to accomplish you scope of work! We all talk about how good we are in climbing, let see!

Latest posts

Back