Spiked 026 project!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradgil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally finished up my 026 project. Actually it is a MS260 that I bought with a bad piston. After a lot of reading on this site, I got it all together and running, but haven't cut with it yet.

I saw a few posts about putting larger spikes/dawgs on an 026, but not any real definite answers. I was able to install some 044/066 spikes on the saw and get them to work.

What I did to the saw...

Installed a NWCS dual port muffler
Widened the exhaust port and 1mm higher and polished
1mm lower on the intake and polished
Sanded and repainted the clutch cover with Stihl paint
Added the 044/066 spikes
Swapped in a wt426 carb
Put in a new piston/rings/wrist pin bearing
Added a Stihl 20" bar and .325 chain

As far as the spikes go, the inner spike was a simple swap. The spike that mounts on the cover side was a different story. I had to drill two holes next to the existing holes on the spike to get the inner and outer spikes to match up. Also I will have to cut a small notch in the back of the cover side spike to allow access to the forward bar nut.

The part numbers stamped on the spikes are 1122/06 inner and 1122/01 for the cover

attachment.php

attachment.php

-Brad

Last edited:
Sounds great; only change I would make is a personal preference for a 16" or 18" bar as they balance out the saw better than a 20" bar. And I don't need a 20" bar very often it seems. And when I need a 20" bar I prefer to use one of my 361's instead of the 260. Having said that; your overall project sounds good.

added the pics to the original post above....

Also, I forgot to mention, when I repainted the clutch cover, I used a black Sharpie permanent marker to repaint the 'Stihl' logo. It looks good as new now.

-Brad

That's sweet. Where did you find the muffler with the LH side outlet. Did you weld that up?

hey brad, she is looking sweet! you going to post some vids? those 026s will turn some screaming RPMs if ported right. just check out the 026 vid i have on my site :) the 026racechain vid is turning 17,500 RPM and still rich and on its first tank of fuel.

ill have to get some pics of the aluminum dawgs i made for my 066 theyre about half the weight of steel one and work just as good.

and get them to work.

What I did to the saw...

Installed a NWCS dual port muffler
Widened the exhaust port and 1mm higher and polished
1mm lower on the intake and polished
Sanded and repainted the clutch cover with Stihl paint
Added the 044/066 spikes
Swapped in a wt426 carb
Put in a new piston/rings/wrist pin bearing
Added a Stihl 20" bar and .325 chain

-Brad[/QUOTE]

I hope you left the base gasket out. Does anyone know what type of duration this porting would give a 026?
It sounds good. I also recommend pulling the muffler, spark plug and possibly the carb after the first tank or so, the idea being if there are anyplaces that should be polished more you will see the wear in the bore.

buck

You might want to check your max RPM also.. The 426 only has limited adjustability without changing jets and some guys moding saws have reported it doesn't give enough gas at the high end. The WT194 will give a much larger range.

All depends on whether you want to use it as a woods saw (longer life) or just race it now and then... (a lot less than long life) :)

bradgil said:
No, I put in a new base gasket.

-Brad

...but won't this reduce the compression? If I understand correctly, your raised the exhaust but didn't drop the cylinder.

Last edited:
I guess it was just a beginner mistake and I should have left out the gasket.:bang: :bang:

I have a 194 carb that I'll try if I can't get the 426 adjusted with the tach.

Basically this will be a woods saw only.

-Brad

If you leave out the gasket, you'll need to use a sealer like dirko or similar. The gasket will give you back .5mm, so you should check the squish clearance around the outer edge on top of the piston. Not sure what you should have as a safety margin - I'm sure someone here will let you know!

Run it keep it rich for a tank. Like I said if something needs to be smoothed you'll know. you have to take it down anyway.

buck

Latest posts

Back