Spikeless Climb??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Hey guys, one of my good friends parents bought some property in Figi and are looking for a way to ascend the coconut trees without damaging the tree...meaning they dont want to use spikes....what options are available...some of these trees reach 60 feet (??) in height....thanks

Some people have been known to "walk" up them barefoot (hands around trunk, bent severely at the waist, feet placed flat against the trunk.) Not me, mind you. If they are searching for alternatives: How about a good climbing tree stand with padded gripping surfaces?!?

If this was in Texas they could just shoot them out of the tree, how about a long pole with a noose.
An extension ladder, safety belt and hard hat might be needed.

If I were going to climb these trees more than once per week, I would get a bunch of choker straps and the tallest ladder I could find. From the top of the ladder, the choker straps could be set every 3 feet or so to be used as handholds and footholds. This could be used in conjunction with a safety belt and lanyard, of course!

This method was told me, I've never used it.

SRT palms

have a large splice eye on the end and a biner

Set throwline high up jusr under the canopy

pull climbing line up till you can clip the biner around the ascent line.

Attach throwline to biner for retrieval.

Ascend SRT.

Choke web slings to trunk for foot hold, Also maybe use one for center d ring for extra support.

Decend and retriev line with attached throwline

Are you climbing the same tree once a day? If so, maybe you could hang something from the tree to aid in climbing. Footlocking up a rope would be, perhaps, the easiest. Set a cambium saver and pull your rope through with a throw line. Once your task is complete, pull out your rope and leave the throw line there for tomorrow's climb.

lets say there are 60 trees in total...and we wanted to climb each one...once a day...someone mentioned to me that the idea of putting a rope in each one and using an acsending(sp?) device...like what is used for rock climbing then use it as a belay device to come down?? does this make sense??

what if we just wanted to pick what tree we wanted to climb each day??

murphs here to help!

What about "swiss grips" only about (US) $2000.00 a pair!!

Here's the blerb.>.>.>

Swiss Tree Grippers

Move safely up, down, or around a tree without damaging the bark! Your hands are left free to work. Constructed of durable, high quality materials for maximum user safety. Use to climb trees up to 26" in diameter. Consist of padded safety belt with adjustable and detachable nylon safety line and two suspension assemblies, a large one for the right foot and a small one for the left foot.

Anyone used them?

Last edited:
dennis,
here's a question, why do they want to climb 60 60' palms each day?????? i don't get it????? is it 1 person or a group of people climbing the palms?????
confused in south florida,
budroe:confused:
p.s. say it takes you 15 minutes to climb each tree, that's 12 hours of climb-time!! wow. where would one find the time for all
the mai-tai's?????

I don't see how anybody could even begin to give advice on how to climb these palms without first knowing what the objective is here. The other need to know is the physical prowess of those involved.

Curious - Nate

Curious-Nate/ Treetx,

I would imagine for the coconuts. I would also imagine that the consideration would be moot if there was no physical prowess involved. Makes sense to me. Welcome to the forum!:)

Thanks for the welcome!! If fruit harvesting is the objective, my question is do coconuts ripen on a daily basis? I can't see a daily or weekly need to climb the trees for fruit harvesting or for hazard elimination. Still curious - Nathan

From my understanding, they want to be able to climb any tree any day, yes for the coconuts, while they are green, and then come harvest time...climb a bunch of them....some of the trees are only 20 and 30 feet tall...but they get up to 60...I will see if i cant get them online here to confirm...

spikeless climb

Hi Dennis,I am not familiar with palms/ coconuts however, would it be possible to shake the smaller trees to get the nuts to drop?If not maybe hire the local natives? If not,I hope you are in great physical shape,climbing that many trees each day will either kill you or make you an Olympian .GOOD LUCK!Mikey

Aaahhhh! Any tree any day, not every tree every day. I would think that some kind of climbing stand would be easiest. The kind that is a small board with a V-notch in it and a padded steel band around the tree. I have used spikes in Belize and in Mexico but that was a one time thing. Soft trees.

Nate

A long pole with a hook on the end in conjunction with a tall ladder would suffice for the vast majority of them, I would think. I've seen plenty of 'fruit picking poles' used for citrus growing up in central FL. Perhaps a larger version? I'm thinking a swimming pool skimmer pole or pole saw pole might be modified to make a handy tool.
A Stihl 046 would work on the tallest trees! :D

With a pole snake a loose sling up that carries rope ladder or etriers (spelling?), climb to sling that was raised with pole, lock off. Then, pull 'stairs' up, same trick raising the once bottom of ladder with pole, release first sling (so bottom is always loose for pulling up). Alternatively, without choker, you coud use top loop as choke; or a line with lineman's loop, that would give remote release if it hung up, and something to lightly steady yourself. With these alternatives, you would always have the same end as top, rather than flip/flopping it. The line should be threaded through itself, ie. not using a 'biner that would be being flat metal stressed against a round surface with direct pull.

Have a lanyard that is in a round turn rather than just once around configuration, hold the choking ring open; if you were to slip; it would catch you positively, even if unconcious.

Descend with climbing line through appropriately sized "Friction Saver" that will fall off when line is removed. If some are close to each other, you could save time and energy by descending from taller to smaller.

In a "Ben Meadows catalougue, many, many moons ago; i saw a pricey swiss(?) bicycle for climbing clean spars to collect seed samples, supposedly without marring the tree.

i think that coconuts are pretty hard and heavy for standing on ladder and knocking out with pole; at least that is what i understood the imagery to be................

Last edited:
Climb them? Seems to me they need a Bucket! Thats a lot of climbing on a daily basis.

Back