Spike's GTG #2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well we had a great time up at Walt's; everybody said let's do it again, so we're going to do another one down here at the store. We had such a blast last year, that we'll make this an annual event as long as the interest is there.

Date is Saturday, October 3rd. That's one week before the Columbus Day weekend. Having it on the holiday weekend last year turned out to be not such a good idea in that a few guys were off doing other things and couldn't make it. Format will be mostly the same. Husky will be there with the tent, a bunch of demo saws, and whatever else we can get them to give away.

We are going to go a little more low key on the food this year. Last year Big Eric brought enough food to feed the 82nd Airborne. It was just too much. I kind of like the model that we had at the CNY event. Everybody brought something along, and after we spent some time in the woods and worked up an appetite, we all went back to the campsite and cooked up a nice supper. (Again, Chainsawwisperer was the head chef and brought some really good stuff.) So, throw out some ideas on the food.

This is an all-brand GTG. Even though we are a Husky/Jonsered dealer, and Husky people will be there, you Stihl, Dolmar and whatever else guys are just as welcome. We had all brands present yesterday, along with lot's of old stuff. Not ONE brand insult all day! Any saw that ran and threw chips was a good saw. Same goes for anybody with saws that the snobs like to look down on such as 455's and 290's. Everybody's welcome except snobs.

If we get enough wood we may come up with a few different ideas, but the whole thing can evolve over the next month here in this thread. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. (The only thing we are not really open to is some kind of racing thing. It gets too serious too quick, and I don't want to spend the afternoon with a clip board and a stop watch arguing over the rules, etc.)

I figure we'll build another Barney Bench or two for guys to sharpen or work on their saws, which can go home with someone. Perhaps we can come up with some bench projects for tinkerers that want to build a saw from junk parts; a little trouble shooting round table. Bring some project saw that you want to get running.

We also had a little swap meet yesterday that was fun. I came home with two saws, but I got rid of four to good homes, so I met my objective of coming home with fewer saws than I left with. So, saws or parts, bring whatever you have room for.

So guys, who's coming?

I'll be there Spike! It is a 7 hour trip so I will leave Friday, and be there around 7 that night. I can help setup or whatever you need me to do.

I will be bringing along any saws that I currently have up here, but most saws are back in PA. Right now I have Jonsereds 90, 510, 630, 2141, and maybe a 621 if I can get it done in time. I will also have the Olympyk 271.

Looking forward to it and meeting fellow AS members!!

Is this gonna be on just Saturday or will it go in to Sunday too??

It's a 5hr drive so I'd like to know all the details about what kind of time we have to play with. If it goes into 2 days that'd be fine, I love col weather camping. But if not I'll live.

Just lemme know Spike what kind of time we've got.

:)

Spike I'll be down, I'll probably come down on Friday after work, since it's a 4+ hour drive. I'll have to bring some Stihl's with me to offset all the Johnny's and Husky's that'll be there.

Do you think Fed-Ex will deliver me and my saws???? I don't even want to see how long of a drive it would be for me!!! I'd love to be there but I don't see it happening.

:cheers:
Mike

I'd love to commit, and bring the new 576 auto-tune I just got from Spike...

That's bird season in Northern NY, and I like to get the dogs on the ground as much as possible before gun season opens for Mr. Deer...

I'd love to make it, if you guys don't mind a grouchy old SOB that is just starting to realize that saws are for more than just cutting wood... I'll keep the date in mind.

Spike I'll be down, I'll probably come down on Friday after work, since it's a 4+ hour drive. I'll have to bring some Stihl's with me to offset all the Johnny's and Husky's that'll be there.

Sounds good! (And bring some Stihls to play with.)

Hey, bring a 290 along. We'll use that and a 455 to cut up a load of wood to show people that they really work. (Then after they see the wood pile, they'll probably say that it won't burn right or we won't even be able to stack it.)

I so want to go.

Camping out on Saturday night into Sunday or is this just a Saturday event??

The event is really just Saturday, but some people did stay over and leave Sunday morning. We pretty much wound things done by 4:00 or 5:00 last year. But if guys want to hang, that's cool.

BTW, great job with the pics.

Sounds good! (And bring some Stihls to play with.)

Hey, bring a 290 along. We'll use that and a 455 to cut up a load of wood to show people that they really work. (Then after they see the wood pile, they'll probably say that it won't burn right or we won't even be able to stack it.)

I've got a 029 Super, 025, and I might wrangle up an 009 and have a trio of the most bashed Stihl's on this site.

How far is Shokan from Deposit?

I got to Binghamton in just a hair over two hours, so you should be able to do it in two pretty easy. You have a couple of options. 260 or 30 might be quicker or not, I'm not sure. I just ripped up 17 most of the way.

Back