Splice Testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Job Corps Tree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Of those of you that do splice, How do you test the splice? Outside of sending each one into its maker to be tested. We have done a Kevlar Eye to Eye splice for a rope bridge and because of its placement.How would know it good? long way from 3 strand!

The safest way to test if your splice is good is to make an identical splice in a short section of rope and test it to destruction. I have seen (but cant find) someone with a setup for testing rope and splices. It used a hydraulic ram in a frame to apply a load and there was a strain gauge attached.
the following is close.
http://www.bdel.com/scene/beta/qc_kp_archive.php

How are you going to protect the kevlar from the sun? Have you considered that the splice might be prone to slipping (after many load cycles)?
http://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/

Last edited:
I used to do splicing for hand-rails on, the newer, Naval-Mine Hunters constucted & commissioned here. The rule was 5-tucks on 3-strand nylon.

Also certified " load-tests" on ropes & slings (nylon & cable). The Navy asked for 2.5 times the stated rating, before parting occured.
Splices were included when testing.:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Thanks guys. I have talked with New England rope at TCIA some years back, I was told they would test for free. They wanted a 12" splice on each end of a length of rope with 5 ' of clear rope between the splices. That is not to bad for just New England rope. But with all of the differently kinds of rope out there that could run into some time not to say a lot of rope. In our class we are looking for a shorter way. I guess for now I'll just make another EYE to EYE splice and try to break it. 3 strand I have done for 15 years, NE safety blue 10 , but the Ultra tech ,ICE and HRC are all new and done so much differently. Maybe we best send them on tooSherrill or to Karl Kummerling

a good home build tester can be fabbed out of a log splitter with very few mods.

Of those of you that do splice, How do you test the splice? Outside of sending each one into its maker to be tested. We have done a Kevlar Eye to Eye splice for a rope bridge and because of its placement.How would know it good? long way from 3 strand!

Were you using the MFGR formula for the splice? The high tech fibers need longer buries then nylon and poly.

IMO a standard hollow core is a better product then spectra or kevlar, unless you needed the small diameter the ballistic fiber allows.

To really know what the splice will hold, you have to break it. That's all there is to it. If you wanted, you could load it and consider it proof tested. You might say, "proof tested" to 1,000 pounds or something along those lines.

Can you show pics of your splice?

love
nick

I encourage break testing, though. Bad splices can still hold 1,000 pounds. That might only be 20% of the ABS.

Back