splinting broken limbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Yesterday i returned to a site where we installed a 3inch caliper callary pear. During the binding/transport two aesthetically important branches were cracked.

Not wanting to prune them out, I splinted them with electrical tape. I've read( and we've discussed) about how plastic can trap ethylene from the plant and help facilitate rejoining of the cambial layer.

I took off the tape and both branches showed marked improvement, one was very solid and should last as long as the tree, the other has a little wobble and may need pruning at some latter time. Both are straight, green and growing.

How were they cracked? At the trunk, vertical, horizontal? I sure like to see some pictures. It would be nice to have an option to just removing a cracked branch. This is unrelated, but I once wanted to try to raise a low branch that was marked for removal by cutting out a section(a V) at the base and trying to graft it back together after pulling it up flush to the new cut.(lifting it 30 degrees). It seemed a little radical, but if the cambium match up it may of worked. I see some big pine branches with horizontal stress cracks that have sometimes healed them selfs enough naturally that with a little weight reduction can be saved.
Vary interesting.

Nice work trying to help, flippin Cally pears split all the time, tis sad as they are a nice tree. I used 14mm nylon threaded bolts n nuts on one with a terminal crotch split about hmm 4 years ago.
Was told its still failing and not making any head way with its structure. I should go have a look, the idea was just to get it to stay awhile till the rest of the garden filled in the space.

The threaded rod n nuts come from bucket lifts as electrical insulated.

beast, i have tried that notching thing on cedars bent over for screen recently; no doubt it will work. see arborsculptor.com for more on this.

yes if tape may not be enough then bolts (bracing) work well.

we have more tools than just saws.

These are not Bradfords, I thing they are 'Aristocrats' which get as wide as high. Very good branch structure, since I did the selection.

The cracks were mid branch and typical green-twig type fractures, the worse of the two split at a node, and is still floppy.

Of course I had forgot my phone when I went out there, and the drive is too long to go for just a few pics. maybe when i have to go out there and put in a small burning bush that is struggling. It is 2-3 months out of warranty, so I said i would cover labor in fall if it still is in bad shape.

We recently planted a large maple in a shopping mall tree well. Had to use a truck lift to move the tree in the maneuvering it tore off a section of trunk bark. We wrapped it in electrical tape to keep the cambium from drying out. Will go back there in a couple of weeks and see how it looks.

These are not Bradfords, I thing they are 'Aristocrats' which get as wide as high. Very good branch structure, since I did the selection.

I think most of the time when you go to a nursery they are Aristocrats and they sell them as a Bradford, it almost is as if the name Bradford has become generic to pears.

Back