Split Tail Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought everything for split tail climbing, but when I rig it, the bridge seems way too short (8-10") and I can't climb (hip thrust) with any speed. The Split tail is 48" overall with an eye in one end. I girth hitched the eye to a carabiner which is attached to my saddle. I'm tying a blakes hitch with the loose end and finishing it with a figure 8 stopper knot. Micro pulley is attached below the blakes. I'm pulling below the blakes while hip thrusting, but only getting small vertical gains because of the small bridge. Do I need a 6ft Split tail, or am I doing this wrong?

Try reaching above the blake's and you'll get a decent vertical gain. Then hold your position with one hand while your other reaches down and tends the hitch by pulling up on the down rope below the pulley.

I think this is shown pretty well in The Treeclimber's Companion. If you don't have it, you should get it. It's not much compared to what you've already spent on gear.

After you tie the Blake's Hitch and insert the figure 8, how much slack do you have left? Maybe you can tie the Hitch out further extending your bridge and use a half hitch instead of the figure 8 to give you more length to test and see if that's it?

Also, wouldn't just slipping the eye of the split tail instead of the girth hitch give you more length as well? This along with the half hitch may give you enough length to test if needing a longer split tail is your solution. ?

StihlRockin'

First, thanks for the help, this is my first post. I did some trimming on two small trees earlier in the evening today and used the grab above the Blake's. This worked well, though I'm a little slower than with the traditional climbing method. Perhaps I just need a little more practice. I did have to go around one limb, and that was very easy. I do have a copy of the Tree Climbers companion, and it covers rigging the split tail system very well , but not much on using the split tail system.

There's not much length left after you tie the Blake's. Removing the Girth and putting a half hitch would give you some additional gain, probably 6" more. I didn't try that yet, but I will.

Perhaps I just need a little more practice.

Yeah, I found it just took a little time to make it seem more natural. I now like to use a foot ascender (pantin) to help climb with and it serves to also tend the hitch nicely. The shorter the bridge, the better this method works. You can do the same thing by footlocking the downrope too.

I do have a copy of the Tree Climbers companion, and it covers rigging the split tail system very well , but not much on using the split tail system.

Ok, I thought he showed it a bit better, my mistake. Sounds like you're getting there though.

NOTE:

I was taught the girth hitch is better to attach to the carabiner/clip because it will have a higher tendency to stay put when you go and disconnect it. If you just slip the carabiner/clip through the spliced eye, it may slip off without you noticing when doing a maneuver.

StihlRockin'

Use the pull from above method. It's what you'll have to use when you finally move to an e2e system which is better than the split tail system. It's harder at first because you can't take a wrap on your hand but eventually you'll be able to hand over hand which is much faster.

slack tender

I use the pull from the top method and have my brother who is the groundy as my slack tender. So all I have to do is hip thust my way up and he pulls all the slack and hold me if I stop. Helps that he is twice my size. I love the split tale works good and it is a lot faster.

Back