Split tails/Throwout?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuniciPAL

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
when do you guys generally throw out your split tails?
i burned a few strands in my split tail and figured i would ask what the general age limit is.

use is pretty much daily.

If you have to ask I would chuck it. They are relativly cheap and I would not climb on a questionable piece of equipment. If you are going to be burning out of trees, probably need to use a different type of tail, the newer technora split tails can take over 600-700 degrees.

i agree just get a new one. you may also think of switching to a descender when zipping down. I use a cheap figure 8.

thanks for the suggestions. im not a professional arborist and i dont perform work in trees but i can sure destroy a split tail. ill have to pick up a technora tail. thanks

just out of curiosity, if you arent climbing trees daily but you are using your split tail daily, what exactly are you doing with it?

MuniciPAL,

Just curious: If your use of the split-tail is almost daily, but you're not an arborist nor do you work in trees...well, you can see where my question is going.

Are you the most avid recreational tree climber ever, or are you applying these techniques to another occupation?

RedlineIt

just out of curiosity, if you arent climbing trees daily but you are using your split tail daily, what exactly are you doing with it?

:laugh:

MuniciPAL,

Just curious: If your use of the split-tail is almost daily, but you're not an arborist nor do you work in trees...well, you can see where my question is going.

Are you the most avid recreational tree climber ever, or are you applying these techniques to another occupation?

RedlineIt

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hmm,

Looks like we have the same wavelength, cntrybo2.

RedlineIt

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

im a forestry student working towards ISA cert
i dont get it, did i just get cut up?

thanks for the suggestions. im not a professional arborist and i dont perform work in trees but i can sure destroy a split tail. ill have to pick up a technora tail. thanks
The technora will take the heat better, but you really should not be burning down out of the tree either. The ability to withstand the burn is really an emergency feature and not meant as a daily use feature. Be careful.

i agree just get a new one. you may also think of switching to a descender when zipping down. I use a cheap figure 8.

Amen. It takes only seconds to put a descender in line to take the heat. I use a cardoid figure 8, a Petzl STOP, or a Petzl I'D depending on the mood I'm in and the rope I'm on. It makes the ride down a lot more fun when you dont have to worry about burning up a split tail.

When I use the 8 I just move my split tail (Michoacan) to the right side D and put the 8 on the sliding D. That way I use my split tail to back up my 8, but the 8 takes the heat. Caution: dont grab the 8 at the end of the ride after you bail out of a 90 foot loblolly, or snuggle up to it too close while you are rigging down, until it has a few seconds to cool off. That sucker can be HOT! Dont ask me how I know.

Spit tails are so easy to replace, if it's questionable, replace it! Cut a tail off of an old climbing rope if nothing else. If it's getting stiff and rope burnt, replace it! Nothing can take the place of life and limb!!!

ok well i'm climbing on a tecknora... and i have glazed it
dose that mean i should get rid of it ?
it's not fraid but well used....

Back