what would be a good almost daily use chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatons

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am wondering what you guys think would be a good chainsaw for almost daily use, I would like something a bit older, I like these vintage chainsaws, I have a few but I want to see what you guys think

Just at a glance what's close to you, there's a Stihl 066 in Winterset for $600 on FB Marketplace. As old as you want to get while still being a great everyday pro saw if you have the strength for it. But likely more power than you need and weight than you want to handle every day, a 72-79cc saw is probably what you're looking for. Bit further afield D&D Farm Supply in Fountain City, WI has a Husky 576XP for $500, 2012 model.

Buy a big stihl, You don’t want a pile of junk from ikea. 066 or a 660 stihl is in your future.
Hell yeah, I bought 10 big Stihls. One of them actually ran good enough to cut some wood and the rest of them worked great for weighting down the ass-end of my pick-up this winter.

Just some thoughts:

My dad had a Sachs-Dolmar 133 that cut every stick of firewood we burned for over 4 decades. No complaints, except he would grumble it would gain weight as the day wore on. We cut down a 6' diameter oak tree with it at least once that I remember. It still comes out to sing when the wood gets big, its mine now! If someone put a gun to my head, and said "all your saws must go but one!", it would be my choice hands down.

I have a Stihl MS261 that cuts 90% of my current wood, so that seems like a great choice for a single saw. Probably small for the bigger end of your range.

Who in their right mind would be a professional wood maker, and have only one saw????????

You like vintage? Get a Poulan 3400/3700 (same as the Craftsman 3.7\3.4 unless it is the Roper version).
Built in the 1980s, were constructed with mag cases like all the current pro saws. Were used extensively in the deep south cutting pulpwood as well as firewood. Old school made in the USA saws with loads of grunt that run forever and can often be bought for $100, needing only fuel lines, a carb kit and maybe an oil pump diaphragm to run another 40 years. Easy to work on. Got thumb operated manual oiler too.
When you start one they sound like a drag racer idling - always brings a smile to my face!
I have cut a lot of wood with one.
Gets my vote.

you said older, but how much older. Husqvarna 266xp is a good saw and almost bomb proof I love working with these or 362 would do the same and all you want. But if you can find a good reasonable 550xp I would try that, nice feel in the hand and cuts so fast. BUT...... keep it sharp and youll have no trouble. It will be down to what you can find at the right price for you

How old is old? Pre- chain brake? If that's the case, you couldn't go wrong with a big homelite like the xl925. Would pull a 32 inch bar no problem. Had the slightly smaller sibling 902am, it was surprisingly smooth for no antivibe, and those old Homelites made power everywhere with the reed valve setup. It went away because it was just too close to my p40 in performance to justify keeping it. Now If you could find a 99cc pioneer p60/61/62, jump on it, most people wouldn't let you pry them away from their dead cold hands.

It will be down to what you can find at the right price for you
This is everything to me. General questions like this without enough specifics have become common, rather than seeing what's available to them and doing research on those saws themselves, then maybe asking for some thoughts. Everything I've bought is opportunistic, getting bargains, not deadset on any brand or model. By and large they're all great saws, even the twenty year old Gen I 455 Ranchers I've always viewed as red headed stepchildren lol. My entire saw collection has cost me only around $2000 (the MS780 was brand new but got it for only $950), before repairs/rebuilds which I probably have another $1000 in.

Latest posts

Back