Split tree, Way beyond my capability to fell.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done

I just wandered over to this thread and after viewing the before and after photos I'd like to add my congrats on great judgment.

Also well stated were many suggestions that cautioned against.

I just wandered over to this thread and after viewing the before and after photos I'd like to add my congrats on great judgment.

Also well stated were many suggestions that cautioned against.

Im thinking that may have been the last tree i ever cut down!:cry:

Glad to see my often used technique of procrastination works for others as well. Often the cheapest method also.
:kilt:

I did plan to murder it but i think it was planning to murder me instead! lol

I believe murder is not the right word but relieving it from its agony would be quite correct! ;) No wonder it waited for you because it knew you would be so kind to deal the deadly blow!

Now go get some free firewood!

Guaranteed success

"Glad to see my often used technique of procrastination works for others as well. Often the cheapest method also."

============

Come to think of it, procrastination is possibly the only methodology that is guaranteed to work.

Just a matter of time.

All problems disappear.

=============

I'm brighter than my wife thinks.

No more guilt!

I used to work for the gas company over here as a design engineer, and do call-outs as well.
One day, despite the "GAS!!!" "GAS!!!!" lines we had drawn on the road the guy from the water Co. managed to completely sever a 7 bar plastic gas line. The noise was so deafening he just got out and ran away, after turning off the digger (his house keys were on the same ring, must have wanted to get home that night!).
Immediate evacuation by the cops of everyone nearby and all power shut off. It was about 7 minutes before we got it shut off ( had to get a cop car to push a parked car off a valve cover - with no regards as to damage!), and in that 7 minutes we lost enough gas to power that town of 100,000 people for a year and a half. The water board paid the bill, I suspect the guy isn't working a digger anymore!
It was terrifying though, the noise. I was stood right next to it (no explosion risk, too much gas and not enough air), with an air helmet on, and earplugs, and I could feel my flesh vibrating.

Just lucky it wasn't at the local station where the trans-sea pipeline comes in - it's at 75 bar, 24" pipe. But it's protected by a VERY electric fence and is across the road from an army barracks with full-time surveillance and gun towers...

Twice I've been on a job when 2-3 inch gas lines were cut by backhoes--the noise is something to behold...........

Casey

Twice I've been on a job when 2-3 inch gas lines were cut by backhoes--the noise is something to behold...........

Casey

I was brush hogging powerline row in little rock one day and I always walk the thick stuff out to locate the scrap people love to leave in these areas. I already looked for phone boxes and seen Gas was on the other side of the road. After taking a good look it was time to clear so jumped up and fired up the Brown Tree cutter and started shredding. I already had ear plugs in and I heard metal then a loud psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss and thought tire first but these hogs are loud and I had heard blowouts before so I backed up to the clear area and seen the gas line and it was
deafening even with ear plugs in. The Gas company evidently moved all the services across the road and just capped the risers for the old meters and left them two foot above ground. I was pissed I asked the serviceman if leaving booby traps was accepted practice by the gas company and told him I had walked and looked the spans out good before hogging. I asked why they did not seal them below ground and that the rusty pipe blends in well with brush. He said they should have sealed them below ground and that he would write up a work order but I never went
back to double check and it could have been very bad I could have been barbecue :monkey:

Last edited:
DSC00451.jpg

De-javu!

DSC00453.jpg

The one behind is split as well!!!!!
In fact i looked this morning as we had gales and the really broken tree is still up but the slpit one at the back is down in the opposite direction to what it was leaning!!!
Snowing and cold so no pics!

DSC00454.jpg

Yep the 2 trees and the one that started this thread were all within a few feet of each other!!!!!

DSC00452.jpg

Theres the stump from before. i had cut it down with the 16" on the 262XP, Needed every mm of the bar lol

Now i aint going to be chicken on this one im going to notch it out towards the field and we will ease it off the other tree with the tractor.

I'm just saying from this last picture posted - can you get ANY heavy equipment on that field to just pull it down ? No need to even get near it if you can yank it down.

Definitely a post to learn some stuff from in case I ever see something like this.

edit - sorry....didnt' get past a couple pages before I read it was down.

Last edited:
it might be wise to accomplish a little clearcut there. im willing to bet the rest of those trees have some weakness in the core and they will split eventually too.

it might be wise to accomplish a little clearcut there. im willing to bet the rest of those trees have some weakness in the core and they will split eventually too.

Yeah.
Maybe time to clear the lot before they do and create more potential danger issues.

Its a conservation area so near impossable to get permission to take them down.
The fence around that Tennis court has been repaired a few times now but the trees have up-rooted never split before.

DSC00456.jpg

Must have been windy to land this way!

DSC00457.jpg

Just lopped it off at the bottom and dragged it down the other trees with the tractor.
Nice to get a tree big enough to use the 7900 with the 25" although i cut most of it up with the 262XP The Goofy improved hybrid sharpened chain is awsome on Scots Pine:cheers:

I cut the whole lot up into 9" bits and the guys split it all on the stumps

Latest posts

Back