Split Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a large maple in my front yard that looked like that about 10 years ago. Today almost all signs of the damage are gone and the tree is thriving. I would certainly not write off that tree.

I have a large maple in my front yard that looked like that about 10 years ago. Today almost all signs of the damage are gone and the tree is thriving. I would certainly not write off that tree.

Good to know, I talked with the previous owners and they said they had trees over the years get struck and the lightening would blow some bark off the tree near the base but nothing like what I'm seeing with this walnut tree. I may see how she does this spring/summer and go from there.

Looks to me like simple lightning contact. Personally I wouldn't cut it down. Nothing is better than having a lightning rod hit by lightning that is not on your house... ;)

If you do intend to cut it down, verify if it is really split and then definately use a tree chain to hold the stem together when felling. Would be rather stupid to die because of a barber chair.

I have a different tolerance for trees out "on the back 40" than hanging over the garage I park my Mustang in or my kid's bedrooms.

Out on the back 40 I'd let that go forever. At worst it will end up neat and hollow.

Did we decide on black walnut? Those have pretty darned good structural wood. It just might encapsulate that.

I had a Silver Maple which was loosing a battle to similar damage. Its bottom was rotting out worse though and when I sliced it up while I could see the movement of water in the heartwood it did not go down far enough to be near the root flare.

Back