Splitter choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathandrews

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing a wood splitter and I have it narrowed to two options. The first is the 35 ton Huskee with a 12.5 horse B&S that everyone is familiar with. The second is a 20 ton Bachtold Brothers TRV-26 with a 5.5 horse honda motor. Based on raw numbers, cylinder diameter, and pump GPM it seems like an easy choice, but there is implied quality and reliability in the Bachtold and Honda name. Both units are used, but in excellent condition. $1500.00 will buy me either one. I expect to split about 20 cord of mixed hardwood a year with this unit. I'm also open to recommendations of an alternate splitter under $2000.

I thank you for your input.

:confused: $1500 for used?I only paid 1600 for my Huskee brand new.

FWIW I saw one go for $675 at an auction today.

The huskee is a returned unit (broken fenders) sitting at the local TSC. I'm sure I could talk them down from what they're asking but I'm not sure how far. I've been watching Ebay, craigslist, and the local classifieds for about a month now. The cheapest I've seen the huskee sell for is $1100.00 on Ebay, but the unit was in Indiana, and I decided the drive was too far. If anyone has any leads on a better deal I'm all ears. Up to this point I've been splitting by hand and using a slow as molasses homemade tractor mounted unit. It's definitely time for an upgrade. Is anyone familiar with the Bachtold unit?

Iron Oak was bought out by Brave I like mine pretty good. $1749.00 22 ton 5hp honda gx or 8 hp honda $1949.00,. What ever you get make sure you can get a log dislodger for it 50 bucks extra..Also you might want to consider getting an extra wheel & tire for a spair. Dont forget another $ 100 bucks for 2 cans of John Deer tractor hydrolic fluid - They dont give you that either.

Tsc

The huskee is a returned unit (broken fenders) sitting at the local TSC. I'm sure I could talk them down from what they're asking but I'm not sure how far. I've been watching Ebay, craigslist, and the local classifieds for about a month now. The cheapest I've seen the huskee sell for is $1100.00 on Ebay, but the unit was in Indiana, and I decided the drive was too far. If anyone has any leads on a better deal I'm all ears. Up to this point I've been splitting by hand and using a slow as molasses homemade tractor mounted unit. It's definitely time for an upgrade. Is anyone familiar with the Bachtold unit?[/QUOTE

That little Huskee is a pretty good unit for the price. I have never heard of the other splitter.

I picked up the 35 ton Speeco over the weekend. I found one that's essentially brand new for $1000.00. I'm happy now.

It's a little muddy from the trip, but here it is along with the stove (CB5036) and the saw(371xp). The other picture is its next task.

Latest posts

Back