Yardmax splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTP55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a log splitter. I've had experience with a Huskee from TSC. I'm looking into possibly a 30 ton Yardmax. I split mostly all dead woods like ash, cherry, maple and sometimes oak. Are logs are up to 36" wide and generally 20-22" long. Within the next year I'll have to move from splitting for one house to about 3. I know Yardmax is fairly young company from what I read but they're quality seems good as does service. I'm just looking for other people's experiences or inputs. Do I need a 30 ton? Or would a smaller splitter do?

I was looking at a yardmax like you and was comparing it to a dirtyhand tools splitter On this site and Dan from dht is a site sponsor and he offered me a deal I could not pass up so far the splitter has been incredible I ended up with a 30 ton and do not regret it one bit had a leaky ram seal after about 8 hrs and called dht customer service and they offered to have me take it to a shop and have it fixed at their cost or send me a whole new ram Their customer service is excellent and hope maybe this can help you with your decision

That was the other brand I looked at. Northstar was a bit out of my price range. Both the Yardmax and DHT were right behind Northstar review wise.

Nearly all of our products are assembled in Colorado. You can catch a glimpse here:

I bought the 40 ton countyline unit in January from TS and I love it. It's fast powerful and well built. I really like the taller wedge they come with. I have just over 110 hours on it so far and it's been a gret splitter. Watch this vid.

Ok. I'll be to town tomorrow morning so I'll be able to look at all of them to see in person what they're like. Thanks.

How would I determine what tonnage I would need for what I do? I've heard 25-27 will do but then others have said just to go with a 30.

I think for most people a 25 ton is more than adequate. I get a fair amount of elm, box elder, and some notchy hard maple and I have zero issues with my dht. It also comes down to reading your wood. Don't try to blow things up in the wrong section of your log. Sometimes it requires an extra split or two if you are working some nasty pieces. Most of the northern oak splits easy. Ash splits pretty easy. Don't get enough cherry to be honest.

I've had my DHT for a couple years. It was my first splitter and has been outstanding. Plus you can't beat the customer service they offer. First rate all around.

How would I determine what tonnage I would need for what I do? I've heard 25-27 will do but then others have said just to go with a 30.

A lot of people like DHT and they are a sponsor on this forum, But if you research DHT on this forum, you will see a lot of people have issues with them. DHT always seems to stand behind there product, but they do seem to have a lot of issues with them compared to other brands.

As far tonnage rating's it all boils down to how much wood are you ganna split. What types of wood and how fast do you wanna do it.
If budget allows, bigger is always better. Panoto is correct that you just can't throw wood on any splitter, willy nilly and expect it to work.
I bought the Countyline 40 ton unit over DHT because of two things. DHT seems to have a lot of issues and the countyline is heavier built. It has a bigger pump, motor, hydraulic hoses and fittings, bigger cylinder, taller wedge, bigger tires, bigger oil tank, better fold down leg support, faster cycle times. I use my splitter almost every day and didn't want to be broken down waiting on parts from the manufacture. Ok more then 2 reasons. I have put 110 hours since I bought it in Jan this year and it is a very good unit. I really like it. I have been splitting 50+ cords a year for over 15 years so I have a lot of time on a splitter.

Try your local TS if you have one handy and see for yourself. Thats the only place that I know of that sells the Countyline 40. I wish more people had them so there would be more input on them. There new to there line up for 2018.

A lot of people like DHT and they are a sponsor on this forum, But if you research DHT on this forum, you will see a lot of people have issues with them. DHT always seems to stand behind there product, but they do seem to have a lot of issues with them compared to other brands.

As far tonnage rating's it all boils down to how much wood are you ganna split. What types of wood and how fast do you wanna do it.
If budget allows, bigger is always better. Panoto is correct that you just can't throw wood on any splitter, willy nilly and expect it to work.
I bought the Countyline 40 ton unit over DHT because of two things. DHT seems to have a lot of issues and the countyline is heavier built. It has a bigger pump, motor, hydraulic hoses and fittings, bigger cylinder, taller wedge, bigger tires, bigger oil tank, better fold down leg support, faster cycle times. I use my splitter almost every day and didn't want to be broken down waiting on parts from the manufacture. Ok more then 2 reasons. I have put 110 hours since I bought it in Jan this year and it is a very good unit. I really like it. I have been splitting 50+ cords a year for over 15 years so I have a lot of time on a splitter.

I don't own a DHT. I do want to point out that since they are active on this forum it may be that folks post issues because they get resolved.

The Countyline is probably a very nice splitter. 20 hours a month doesn't sound like a particularly heavy workload to judge by but 50 cords a year is a decent work out. My homebuilt does around 5-7 a year and has for 20+ years with no issues.

Ok. Good to know. We heat our houses solely with wood, we burn a lot but I haven't kept track. We normally aren't ahead for winter but this year I actually have enough for almost a full two months of cold. 3/4 of it needs splitting though.

Seasoned wood is your friend. I like to get mine split and stacked for two years before I need to burn it. Use a lot less and the chimney appreciates it. Some depends what you're burning it in, OWB's are able to use less seasoned wood but not all that efficiently. Woodstoves really like well seasoned.

Get it split and take advantage of what remains of summer. The wind and sun are helpful.

I don't own a DHT. I do want to point out that since they are active on this forum it may be that folks post issues because they get resolved.

The Countyline is probably a very nice splitter. 20 hours a month doesn't sound like a particularly heavy workload to judge by but 50 cords a year is a decent work out. My homebuilt does around 5-7 a year and has for 20+ years with no issues.

I have split over 40 cords this year so far in that 110 hours of usage. I split my pieces a lot smaller then most do so it's cycled more times then splitting all larger pieces.

Right. I cut mostly ash. Pretty well dried by the time the saw gets to it. Too much of those trees are down to even get through.

I have split over 40 cords this year so far in that 110 hours of usage. I split my pieces a lot smaller then most do so it's cycled more times then splitting all larger pieces.

So, essentially a face cord an hour. Not bad. I can do that rate but don't have (or need) 40 cords worth.

So, essentially a face cord an hour. Not bad. I can do that rate but don't have (or need) 40 cords worth.

My old splitter had about 14 seconds cycle times. This one has 9.5 second cycle times. You wouldn't think a few seconds per stroke would add up but I can put more split wood on the ground with this new unit then my old one. My old one was a Husky 22 ton I also bought from TS many years ago. I sold it after I got the new one.

Latest posts

Back