Yardmax splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Good to know. We heat our houses solely with wood, we burn a lot but I haven't kept track. We normally aren't ahead for winter but this year I actually have enough for almost a full two months of cold. 3/4 of it needs splitting though.

Any splitter that is 22 ton or bigger will probably do fine for you if your just splitting for your own use. I'm just very impressed with the one I chose and thought you should at least give them a look. County line also makes smaller units like a 30 and a 26 ton unit.

Right. I did look while I was in town yesterday. It appears that there's a lighter duty model and another line that's heavier. It could have just been the different color pain but the black ones look a little better built.

Right. I did look while I was in town yesterday. It appears that there's a lighter duty model and another line that's heavier. It could have just been the different color pain but the black ones look a little better built.
I just looked at there web site and looks like they make a 25/30 and a 40 ton unit. The 25 ton is 999.00 the 30 is 1499. and the 40 is 2099. (mine was 1999. in Jan2018) they have gone up 100 bucks since then. About a 500 dollar spreed between each model.
The 25 ton weighs in at 490 lb the 30 at 595 and the 40 is 781 lb given that the design is the same on each model the weight tells me the larger the tonnage the heaver the unit. Witch translates to more steel in each ascending unit.
The 25 tone unit has cycle times of 11.5 sec, the 30 is 10.5 and the 40 is 9.5 I think all three are a little faster then most others, but not by much.
Keep looking and comparing models till you find the right one for you.
TS use to sell Husky brand, now they sell Countyline and Champion and I saw some DHT's at one TS but there not on there web site anymore. They also sell a Cub Cadet 25 ton at 1299. but it has a very slow 19 sec cycle times. You could take a nap between splits.
The old Husky's and the Countylines look almost identical. May be the same manufacture with a different branding.

tonnage is nice but I find I’m more frustrated by slow cycle time so be careful on that. higher tons is usually larger cylinder and if it’s not matched with a larger pump and engine it can be really slow

Also don’t compare manufacturers tonnage ratings only. look at the diameter of the cylinder and their operating pressure. many times the advertised tons is at some fictitious pressure much higher than the actual unit runs with relief setting.

I saw one unit I don’t remember the brand with outrageously high tons advertised. if you work backward with the math it required 3750 psi to reach that number when the components were typical 3000 PSI industrial and the relief valve was actually set at 2750 which means it’s only maxing about 2/3 of its advertising paper copy.

I found my 4 inch splitter with log lift handles anything that I can physically handle myself. I just recently built a 3 inch splitter and I use that for almost everything because it’s less than four second cycle out and three second cycle back. but I arbitrarily decided I don’t take anything over about 18 inches for the same physical reasons. that wouldn’t apply to a woodlot situation or to what you probably want

tonnage is nice but I find I’m more frustrated by slow cycle time so be careful on that. higher tons is usually larger cylinder and if it’s not matched with a larger pump and engine it can be really slow

Also don’t compare manufacturers tonnage ratings only. look at the diameter of the cylinder and their operating pressure. many times the advertised tons is at some fictitious pressure much higher than the actual unit runs with relief setting.

I saw one unit I don’t remember the brand with outrageously high tons advertised. if you work backward with the math it required 3750 psi to reach that number when the components were typical 3000 PSI industrial and the relief valve was actually set at 2750 which means it’s only maxing about 2/3 of its advertising paper copy.

I found my 4 inch splitter with log lift handles anything that I can physically handle myself. I just recently built a 3 inch splitter and I use that for almost everything because it’s less than four second cycle out and three second cycle back. but I arbitrarily decided I don’t take anything over about 18 inches for the same physical reasons. that wouldn’t apply to a woodlot situation or to what you probably want

I found going from a 14 sec unit to a 9.5 sec unit was an adjustment and at first it seemed very fast compared to the slower one. However I quickly got use to the faster unit. But I will say there is a point where speed can be as bad as good. Slower means you have more time to handle the splits and rounds. fast means you can make mistakes and get into trouble.

Latest posts

Back