splitter engine mounting ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok i picked up a 6.5 hp horizontal shaft motor for my old bolens tractor. it got me to thinking if the 6.5hp motor would make a difference on my splitter. the splitter has a 5hp low grade honda motor on it.

now i didint take the old motor off the splitter yet it very well may fit right in the same place as the 5hp one does. the overall width of the splitter is my biggest concern cuse i dont have a shed so i have to be able to fit it through a regular cellar door. it JUST makes it now with the 5hp on it.

the 5hp motor does struggle at times aswell. i got to thinking i could make up a enging mounting plate and weld it to the bottom of my beam. the motor would essentially be sitting behind my cylinder and above my hydro tank.

if any of you have motors mounted amywhere near this configuration could you post a pic?

lastly what type of hose would i have to run for the inlet? the hose thats on there is very short. it appears to be some pretty tough stuff. i justr have no idea what i would need to replace it with.

The bigger H.P. engine will not make your splitter any more powerful unless the present engine is completely stalling.
The suction hose from tank to pump has reinforced type that will not collapse. There has been a couple splitters shown on this site that had the engine mounted off the end of the beam.

well i figured out today how im gonna do it. im gonna cut the existing mount off, drop it 4" and tuck it in closer to the beam. after i do this ill actually have even more clearance to fit through the cellar door.

the only drawback i see to this motor is the exhaust is pointing right at my leg. so im gonna make up a deflector to shoot it down and away under the beam.

now i didint take the old motor off the splitter yet it very well may fit right in the same place as the 5hp one does. the overall width of the splitter is my biggest concern cuse i dont have a shed so i have to be able to fit it through a regular cellar door. it JUST makes it now with the 5hp on it.

you run that in the basement?

Latest posts

Back