Splitter getting close!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks great!!

how about extending the front a bit more and moving the front stand out from under the wedge?

oops...i just noticed you have it welded in there kinda permanently.

Last edited:
Am I seeing things or do you have 2 splitting wedges? It looks like the ram will be pushing a wedge and at the end of the I beam, you have another wedge, or am I just not seeing correctly?

Edit: I think I see now, you just don't have the push plate welded on yet!

Good lookin' machine so far.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it is a horiz splitter, the hitch bar is not built yet, it will be removable. the cyl is going to be a 4" x 20"stroke, top of bed is 35.5" high
it is only going to have a 5HP Honda eng w/an 11 gpm 2 stage pump on it.
I am building it for home use only, non comercial, i think it is big enough
for my needs. towards the front will be toolboxes for gloves chain sharpening
tools oils , and gas.

Nice! Looks great so far. The work height is awesome too!!! The back saver model!:cheers:

Thanks guys, it is a horiz splitter, the hitch bar is not built yet, it will be removable. the cyl is going to be a 4" x 20"stroke, top of bed is 35.5" high
it is only going to have a 5HP Honda eng w/an 11 gpm 2 stage pump on it.
I am building it for home use only, non comercial, i think it is big enough
for my needs. towards the front will be toolboxes for gloves chain sharpening
tools oils , and gas.

Looking really nice! Really smart idea with the big tires. You will be able too stand straight while working. Also yes absolutely the 4" cyl, 11gph 2 stage pump and a Honda 5hp will be perfect for you. That the same set-up I have and I've yet too find wood I can't bust. Mine does verticle (thankfully) cause I've had some rock maple rounds the size of truck tires that I had to 1/4 before I could lift them too horizontal split.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: One tip for you. Make your hydraulic tank with a good 5 gal capacity. That way she'll run cooler.:cheers:

Better keep it light duty unless you add a log lift. Thats pretty high to lift bigger logs.

The tires sure are heavy duty enuff!

looks good, I'd stop paintin till your done. Less prep work for more welding. :clap:

Looking really nice! Really smart idea with the big tires. You will be able too stand straight while working. Also yes absolutely the 4" cyl, 11gph 2 stage pump and a Honda 5hp will be perfect for you. That the same set-up I have and I've yet too find wood I can't bust. Mine does verticle (thankfully) cause I've had some rock maple rounds the size of truck tires that I had to 1/4 before I could lift them too horizontal split.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: One tip for you. Make your hydraulic tank with a good 5 gal capacity. That way she'll run cooler.:cheers:

I am planing to put a 7 gal tank from northern tools on it. bill

are you 7 feet tall?

35 inches is too high.

The correct hight is with the beam even with your waist.
You gotta lift them things up there!

Excellent welding! :) 20 inches will make a very nice length. 11GPM isn't gonna set the world on fire, but will be functional. 5hp is perfect!

I have kinda gotten used to a out-feed table.

-Pat

35 inches is too high.

Excellent welding! :) 20 inches will make a very nice length. 11GPM isn't gonna set the world on fire, but will be functional. 5hp is perfect!

-Pat
??? I'm 6 ft tall and my waist is at about 40-41 inches.

My own rule of thumb is: you should be able to stand up straight and touch your fingers on the I Beam. For me, that puts ideal height at around 29 or 30 inches as a MAX height. That is simply my opinion, but the logic goes like this: any log that you place onto the beam will be able to be held without stooping, the only factor that would change this is if you have a large quantity of your logs being very large in diameter. I don't really want to wrestle with a big sucker looking me in the eyes.
The I beam height is probably a moot point at this stage of the build, unless you are willing to loose the spring suspension (its a good feature to have if you plan any over the road towing).

I will second the use of an out-feed table. It is a great add-on.

The way the suspension is set at the moment, height looks to be at the max. I may be wrong but there seems to be 4 different heights that can be fairly easily attained by changing axle position.

The way the suspension is set at the moment, height looks to be at the max. I may be wrong but there seems to be 4 different heights that can be fairly easily attained by changing axle position.

Yep, I think your right triptester. It looks like if he so choose, his easy choice would be to simply unbolt the axle from the leaf springs and flip it down like a drop axle. That alone would be a fairly large decrease in height. Hmmmm, heck we might all be barking up the wrong tree anyhow, there's a good chance he designed it that high, intentionally.

35 inches is too high.

-Pat

well then actually it is too short, it is 37" from ground to my belt! yes i did
flip the axel over to give it enough height, and axel clearance for towing
off road. thanks for all your replys Bill

Hey guys
got the mounting plate and slider bored out and welded!
I bought the towing coupling today, but have to wait untill mon to
get the sq tubing to finish that! I sure thank you guys for all you input
it has helped me alot. Bill.

Hey Stonestacker looking good. If you ever find it's to high just dig a couple of small holes however far you want to lower it and roll the wheels in them. Looks like your stand is adjustable so no problem. Just finished mine this weekend and split 2 1/2 cords in 3.6 hours. No record but I was pretty much working by myself. Good luck with the rest of the build. I'll try to get some pics up if I can get my daughter to help post.

I know how much work it takes to design and build a splitter from scratch. I am pretty well done with mine. Only some final things and a paint job. Good Work:clap:

That's looks to be a real nice splitter when finished. I like them big tires and those springs, It should be the real deal towing down the highway or anywhere you wanta go. Keep us posted and the pics.:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back