splitter... lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello All,
Q. What to you guys lube your logsplitter plates with ? Grease or oil ?

my splitter manual actually said not to use a lube. I'm guessing the bark,splinters and junk have something to stick to if you put grease or oil on it. I haven't put anything on it and it seems to keep going strong.

For over 20 years we lubed with used motor oil. Then an acquaintance that sold wood asked me what the heck I was doing... he said it was a waste of time and unnecessary so I stopped doing it.

Truthfully I never got a manual when I got the splitter at a farm store. I don't know how I get into doing that...it just seemed natural to oil it.

I dunno... anyone else with an '82 American splitter?...what does it say about that? thanks.

Don't own a splitter. When helping others, though, I've never seen any lube at all. Wouldn't a wax of some sort be best? We always waxed the chains on our atv's because dirt wouldn't stick to it.

The manual that came with mine just says to apply a light coat of oil to the top plate when operating which I do whenever I notice it getting dry again. I have a can of spray lubricant that I use.

:)

Latest posts

Back